The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Justice is coming gramps.
Reply 61
Yo Mr Pope, you fancy some Jamaican Sensimilla? :biggrin:
Reply 62
adamrules247
Yeah, damn it for being the biggest charity in the world and the biggestbdriver down a birth rates in the Third World with it's teachings.

:hmmmm: Wouldn't birth control work even better?
Wow. This is embarrassing for Britain. I ******* cringed when I read Dawkin's note.

This is so infantile and petty. Wtf. :facepalm2:
Reply 64
Oh and something like this...

Reply 65
I'd say religion isn't an excuse for ignorance. This is coming from someone who believes in a God.
jumpingjesusholycow
I'm aware. I'm an agnostic, and a liberal progressive so I don't particularly agree with his religious, political or sociological stances. Regardless of that, I think state visits from head of states that yield some form of significant influence are important and have a role in our diplomatic position on a world stage.

As I said before, it doesn't matter what your ideological stances are because this has nothing to do with whether we agree with Christianity or not. You have no clue what my ideologies are because they are not pertinent to the discussion. This is to do with the Pope saying things that get people killed because they listen to him. I don't think the supposed significance of his visit outweighs the fact that he is an active condom denier despite being well aware of the facts.

Moreover, have you considered the true significance and the advantages of the Pope's visit? I'm struggling to see why the Pope's visit is worth the posited £12 million out of the state budget. So Osborne can cut the welfare budget a further £2bn further reducing aid to the poverty stricken members of our society, but WE have to fund the Pope's visit, a leading member of a massive religious group whose commercial projects provide a hefty revenue anyway?

I will only agree with you if you can provide some genuine reasons as to why the Pope's visit is worth both £12 million and is somehow not massively hindered by the fact that he won't accept condoms because a Catholic interpretation of Christianity tells him to do so.
Reply 67
"Thanks for wasting £12 million!"

Its a ******* useless visit... Should never have even been considered for **** sake...
Hey there Mr. Pope, I'm a homosexual atheist and my favourite book is the Da Vinci Code. Let's be friends?
I'd probably throw a fossil at him and yell, 'argue with that!'
Nucleolus
Hey there Mr. Pope, I'm a homosexual atheist and my favourite book is the Da Vinci Code. Let's be friends?

I hate you for one of those things lol

Guess which?
Reply 71
The funniest thing about this whole incident is that if it were an influential Muslim leader - anyone on TSR that disagreed with him or wanted to protest would be instantly branded an "ignorant, bigoted racist". Everyone here would be falling over themselves to show how "welcoming" they are and how "good for the nation" it would be. No matter how disgustingly homophobic or sexist their views were or how much state-funded murder they had sanctioned (after all 'it's their culture').

It would be pretty bloody stupid for Britain to balls up this visit. The Pope is a leader of over 1 billion people. And whether you disagree with his views or not, he is one of the (if not the most) important heads of state in the world. In ultra-PC Britain, on a forum of ultra-PC left wing students, I'm certainly surprised that people are more than willing to offend and insult 1/6th of the entire world. I think it pretty much explains why the world hates us so, this is really **** PR.
Reply 72
Militantbuthopeful
Really? More so than AIDs deniers?
Whilst I disagree that sex should only ever happen in marriage you have to admit if it did like the catholic church suggested rates of incidence of all STDs would fall off a cliff.

If people followed the teaching of the church to the letter (however impractical) AIDs would not be a problem, whilst its trendy to blame the catholic church for this its ultimately rubbish.

You can if you want attack them for overpopulation in third world countries as they do not allow contraception, but even then its a little tenuous.

Why do people always give this ******* stupid excuse? You even point out that it is impractical in the sentence and don't notice how awful it is! If we were to execute everyone suffering from AIDs that would also make the problem disappear wouldn't it? Doesn't make it a good actual method does it? In addition a lot of christian aid organisations are not only preaching against the use of condoms, they are actively removing people's choice to use them by refusing to deal with shops etc. who also sell condoms.

Also yes, I think the massive power of the catholic church can do a hell of a lot more damage than a few AIDs deniers.
Yeesh, when did not wanting to welcome the head of a gang of child molesters and rapists become about political beliefs?
Militantbuthopeful
I hate you for one of those things lol

Guess which?

I'm going to say the Da Vinci Code? Am I right? Am I? Am I?! AM I?!

:smile:
Go back where you came from Papa Bear! We don't want none yer type around here.
Nucleolus
I'm going to say the Da Vinci Code? Am I right? Am I? Am I?! AM I?!

:smile:

lol you are indeed
JW92
:hmmmm: Wouldn't birth control work even better?

No, as Ed West pointed out in the Telegraph the other week that the churches teachings had worked far better than secular organisations teachings of birth control. Also, a study in the USA last year showed that teenagers taught abstaination were less likely to have sex than those taught to use contraception.
Reply 78
adamrules247
No, as Ed West pointed out in the Telegraph the other week that the churches teachings had worked far better than secular organisations teachings of birth control. Also, a study in the USA last year showed that teenagers taught abstaination were less likely to have sex than those taught to use contraception.

That finding isn't necessarily surprising..
On the other hand, they are also more likely to get pregnant when they do have sex, as many of them still will. Also don't they all just have anal sex as 'that doesn't count' ?
Nucleolus

I smell a sitcom! :woo:

Latest

Trending

Trending