The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Rejection?

Hi,

I've just found out on the application tracker on the durham website that the department have accepted me and my application has been forwarded to a college. I would assume this means i have a place but my Head of Year is not so sure.

I was just wondering if anyone else has got to this stage but then been rejected.

Sorry to be a silly goose but i was too scared to e-mail durham in case they thought i was being to forward and therefore reject me.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My friend got to that stage and was then rejected (sorry).
But think of yourself as halfway there.
if you don't get in to your first college, they send it to a second one.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
i'm sure i remember reading something somewhere saying that because of the admissions procedure, if the department doesn't accept you it still goes on to the college box on the durham tracker (i think thats right). i'll have a look and see if i can find where i read that.
Perdurabo
Hi,

I've just found out on the application tracker on the durham website that the department have accepted me and my application has been forwarded to a college. I would assume this means i have a place but my Head of Year is not so sure.

I was just wondering if anyone else has got to this stage but then been rejected.

Sorry to be a silly goose but i was too scared to e-mail durham in case they thought i was being to forward and therefore reject me.

Thank you

yeah my friends got past the college part and onto the decision part. He emailed and asked what the result was - they said if a decision has been made this early he must have an offer. And it turns out he was rejected (for economics)
Reply 4
What you have described seems to be in order.

Your application goes through a two-part process (at least) - Departmental and then to College.

The Dept. decides if it wants you, at which point your application gets passed on to the college you specified. If this college is over-subscribed for the course for which you've applied, it will be pooled and you'll be contacted to see if you don't mind going to another college.

This is what happened with me - I applied to Trevs (I've no idea why! I think the Dept. head at Durham said it was a good idea), but then they contacted me to ask if i still wanted the place if I went to Cuths. At the moment it would seem as though you're only half-way through the process.
Reply 5
I get rejected from Durham, but it still went though the box for the college, because it had to to get to the decision part. If that makes any sense. If it says that your application has been received by a collage, but a final decision hasn't been reached yet, then you're probably in with a good chance. If it's reached the last box, there will probably be a decision on the UCAS tracker.
Reply 6
Geat. Thank you all for your help.
True, you've only made me feel worse but it's good to know.

Cheers
Reply 7
What happens if one's applied for an 'open' college at Durham?
Reply 8
Theoretically it should increase your chances of getting in as they'll put u in the most undersubscribed college
Anyone heard from Hild and Bede yet?
Reply 10
Yes, i was on an open day today and sum people there had offers from Hild and Bede
cobra01977
Yes, i was on an open day today and sum people there had offers from Hild and Bede

Any idea what subjects?
Reply 12
Chemistry
Perdurabo
Hi,

Thank you

yup happened to me.

got accepted by both psychology and natural science departments..but the college would only offer me a place on natural science as they already had too many psychology students in the college.

love Katy ***
ickle_katy
yup happened to me.

got accepted by both psychology and natural science departments..but the college would only offer me a place on natural science as they already had too many psychology students in the college.

love Katy ***

Do you know if the department grades the applicants they accept before passing them to the college? My application went from the department to the college at the beginning of November and has been stuck there ever since, yet I keep hearing of people being accepted (or rejected). I wonder if that means I am borderline or something. I am also getting worried that by the time the first college makes up its mind, all the others will be full.
Reply 15
blackrainbow
Do you know if the department grades the applicants they accept before passing them to the college? My application went from the department to the college at the beginning of November and has been stuck there ever since, yet I keep hearing of people being accepted (or rejected). I wonder if that means I am borderline or something. I am also getting worried that by the time the first college makes up its mind, all the others will be full.

Hi,
Yeah this is the same predicament that i'm in. I applied to castle so i know i shot myself in the foot straight away but mine hasn't moved at all from the college box since they received my app. at the end of september.
Perdurabo
Hi,
Yeah this is the same predicament that i'm in. I applied to castle so i know i shot myself in the foot straight away but mine hasn't moved at all from the college box since they received my app. at the end of september.

Well at least all the applications should be in soon, so surely they can't prolong the agony much longer!
Reply 17
Yeah. But the suspense is killing me! Would it be worth sending an email to the admissions department to see where my application has progressed to?
Perdurabo
Yeah. But the suspense is killing me! Would it be worth sending an email to the admissions department to see where my application has progressed to?

I suppose admissions at Castle might at least tell you whether they're still considering your application or have passed it on.
Reply 19
My application is STILL at the deparment stage but I applied in October. Is this normal, I can't wait much longer!!

Latest

Trending

Trending