The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

Lincoln University - Past Experiences?

Okay, so I'm really looking into a Political/Journalism degree after I leave Sixth Form.

I was scouring around places like Warwick, Nottingham, UEA, which I've heard great things about.

However, I do come from Lincoln originally, and adore the place. I know my way around it like the back of my hand, even though I live in Wales. I've always wanted to study there, but I wouldn't want to study there over Nottingham for instance if there was a significant difference.

I've read all the league tables, and okay, Lincoln is generally lower/middle on most courses. However, I know these CAN be inaccurate, so I was just after some actual experiences so then I can actually make a descision on whether it's a possibility for me.

Thanks Guys.
Matt.
Reply 1
Have just finished my first year at Lincoln, not doing politics or journalism (business studies) but I can't speak highly enough of the university, I love it!

And if you are looking at league tables take this into consideration .... In The Times University League's Lincoln climbed more places than any other university, it is defiantly on the rise, more and more students are coming every year.

Obviously someone that has done the course you are looking to do would possibly be a better person to talk :smile:
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah, I'd just really like to know. I love Lincoln, but I also would like a good university. I love the look of UEA and Nottingham, but I haven't really had a chance to look at Lincoln because it isn't as well documented in the league tables and such.

I saw that thing about The Times and Lincoln, it's good to know it's climbed places. It's just whether I put it as a first choice because I love Lincoln, or whether I put a higher University forward because it may help with a degree.

Ah confusing times. Thanks for the help though. Anybody else?!
Reply 3
Coming from someone just about to go into 3rd year (not in your subject area), if you can get into Warwick/Nottingham (not trent)/UEA then don't go for Lincoln. Yes it's climbed but only because it was so far down last year (mid 80's?). Have Lincoln as an insurance if you must - but otherwise, go for a more prestigious uni. If you end up at Nottingham, it's only 40mins on the train, so you could even visit a few times a month for shopping/culture etc.
Don't hamper your chances of a job (as a degree from Lincoln won't be looked on as highly as from a Redbrick) just because you like the town.
Reply 4
Aqualung
Coming from someone just about to go into 3rd year (not in your subject area), if you can get into Warwick/Nottingham (not trent)/UEA then don't go for Lincoln. Yes it's climbed but only because it was so far down last year (mid 80's?). Have Lincoln as an insurance if you must - but otherwise, go for a more prestigious uni. If you end up at Nottingham, it's only 40mins on the train, so you could even visit a few times a month for shopping/culture etc.
Don't hamper your chances of a job (as a degree from Lincoln won't be looked on as highly as from a Redbrick) just because you like the town.

That was what I've been thinking. I figured I should put Lincoln maybe as my 4th choice or something to fall back on. Yeah, Nottingham trains to Lincoln are regular, which is a good point. I understand where you're coming from completley, thanks for the help!
Original post by BigH91
Have just finished my first year at Lincoln, not doing politics or journalism (business studies) but I can't speak highly enough of the university, I love it!

And if you are looking at league tables take this into consideration .... In The Times University League's Lincoln climbed more places than any other university, it is defiantly on the rise, more and more students are coming every year.

Obviously someone that has done the course you are looking to do would possibly be a better person to talk :smile:

sorrry this is kind of random as it has nothing to do with what your talking to them about and ive just stubbled across your chatt and seen that you go to lincoln!! but was just wondered if you minded me asking you a few questions?? =L one of which is, how much does it cost to join your SU?? (if that makes sence even haha)
Reply 6
Original post by tinkiebinkie
sorrry this is kind of random as it has nothing to do with what your talking to them about and ive just stubbled across your chatt and seen that you go to lincoln!! but was just wondered if you minded me asking you a few questions?? =L one of which is, how much does it cost to join your SU?? (if that makes sence even haha)

You don't have to pay to join the Student Union; you are automatically a member when you enroll. But to go to Engine Shed for a night out its £5 to get in, and you have to pay to join sports societies at the start of each year.

Hope that answers your question :smile:
Original post by hkwilson
You don't have to pay to join the Student Union; you are automatically a member when you enroll. But to go to Engine Shed for a night out its £5 to get in, and you have to pay to join sports societies at the start of each year.

Hope that answers your question :smile:

THANKYOU! =D i was just a tad worryed as i couldnt realy find anything about it on the openday/ website (-it may have just been my lack off attention though!!)

and im sorry but now youve answered one of my questions i may have to bonbard you with a few more if you dont mind!!?

for example, for people living on the brayford campas and need to travel to the riseholme one; do you know if the buses regularly are on time or if they mess you around?? =$ im just thinking il have to get them and im terrable with waking up n the morning!! hehe
sorry for annoying you with questions you probs know nothing about!! xD
Reply 8
Original post by tinkiebinkie
THANKYOU! =D i was just a tad worryed as i couldnt realy find anything about it on the openday/ website (-it may have just been my lack off attention though!!)

and im sorry but now youve answered one of my questions i may have to bonbard you with a few more if you dont mind!!?

for example, for people living on the brayford campas and need to travel to the riseholme one; do you know if the buses regularly are on time or if they mess you around?? =$ im just thinking il have to get them and im terrable with waking up n the morning!! hehe
sorry for annoying you with questions you probs know nothing about!! xD

i think the buses are meant to be regular but often there's too many people on one so you might have to wait etc.. my flatmates last year lived in hayes wharf (just across from the brayford campus) and if they had a 9am lecture they would have to get the 8am bus up there which meant getting up at like 7 or something to get there on time then they'd have a lot of waiting around to do up there inbetween lectures. A few times they had to walk back home because their lecture had overrun and they missed the bus. Just little inconveniences which mount up over time. For anyone studying at Riseholme I'd strongly suggest applying for the accommodation located up there!
Reply 9
I'm currently doing first year architecture and bar the history module which is run by a bunch of idiots it's really good. Lincoln is rising in the league tables rather quickly. The only reason it's lower down is because compared to most of the uni's on there it is one of the newer ones so it hasn't had time to make a reputation for itself

Quick Reply

Latest