The Student Room Group

PPS Politics Psychology Sociology - Cambridge

Hi there-
I am seriously considering applying to PPS at Cambridge but had a few questions...
How much of the course ties back to Politics?
Can you drop one of the 3 after your first year?

And my most important question...

Where can a degree in PPS take you, career/job wise, in the real world?

Any advice, tips or suggestions would be really appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Mike
I'm applying to the same course. You can specify in the areas you want after the first year (Off the top of my head i think these areas are sociology, politics, psychology and social psychology but I'm not sure about the last one). My main area of interest is sociology, so if I get in, I would probably specialize in that after year 1.
Reply 2
I just finished my first year of PPS at Cambridge.

To try to answer your specific qs:

How much of the course ties back to Politics?
Well - in the first year, you take four papers, only one or two of which will be politics-themed (one can be IR, the other traditional political thought). Obviously those two papers will directly focus on politics - the others you do won't 'tie back' to politics, they will be focused on other disciplines (psychology, sociology, social anthropology and so on).

Can you drop one of the 3 after your first year?
Yep - next year I'm taking two sociology and one politics papers, no more psychology. You can do straight politics, straight psych or straight sociology, or certain combinations of the three.

Where can a degree in PPS take you, career/job wise, in the real world?
This is really a bit of a silly question. Arts degrees (English, History, Politics, Theology/Religious Studies, Anthropology, Classics - even modern languages) don't tend to directly qualify you for anything in particular, but rather hone certain skills that will prove very useful in a multitude of careers - the ability to research, to form an argument, even just to express oneself. A PPS degree can take you into government, media, the financial sector, teaching, business. The only things you definitely can't do with a PPS degree are the vocational things: Law (though you can easily do a conversion year), Medicine, Vet Med... perhaps Engineering and sciency stuff. What's not to like, really?
Reply 3
I love the fact that someone undergoing a course in psychology started an answer with, "This is really a bit of a silly question."

Some way to go methinks...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending