The Student Room Group

Primary Study Composition Music help!

So my problem is thus:

I'm looking at applying for September 2011 to do a BMus or BA/Mus course with Composition being my primary study. Now, I know there are quite a lot of places that don't state Grade 8 as a requirement, but I don't have any performance or theory grades at all... My AS grades are good (AABC) and I'm hoping that the three pieces I'll have to send for my CUKAS application will show that while I lack theory grades, I am more than capable. However, I'm worried that my lack of these grades will hold me back on the UCAS application? (where only my personal statement, subject grades and referances will be able to speak in favor of my ability). Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Most of the universities I've applied for don't need me to have grades, but that doesn't mean they aren't looked upon favourably.

Also, any help on the general standard of composition expected for the conservatoires would be appreciated (specifically, Royal Northern, Guildhall and Birmingham).
The thing to do is look at the exact word specifications for the courses you're interested in. Some places want a certificated Grade 8, whereas others say Grade 8 standard... Have you tried e-mailing the admissions departments and asking them about this? :smile:

Latest