The Student Room Group

Working At Mcdonalds

Hey, Just found out i have a job at mcdonalds still waiting for them to confirm my start date but i just wondered if anyone knew or was in the same situation as me, both me and my partner now work and up un till now i have looked after our 8 month old daughter and i wondered if anyone else had weekends off and been able to have time off with their kids? :smile:
Reply 1
I just got turned down for a part-time job at the Big M. Made me fell like poop :sigh:
Reply 2
Why are you on a student website if you aren't a student?
Reply 3
don't do it, you're far above working for mcdonalds man and your childrens welfare is far more important..
Reply 4
Why are you all being so unsupporive?
Least her and her husband are working to provide for their kids, instead of just claiming any and every benefit they can.
Reply 5
It's not that bad a job, but if you're in the kitchen I hope you like getting burned.
Personally I wouldn't advice working there, as I'm sure with a bit of luck you can find something better. Something about the majority of people working their being foreign and the dullness of the job made me quit after the first day - and I can tell you I've never been one to give up easily. Although, I did work hard looking for another job - and managed to find one within a week, so it's possible!
Reply 7
ive applied to mcdonalds several times and havent had an interview
Reply 8
thanks smieybop that was really nice of you to say, although alot of people are knocking mcdonalds back every store and manager runs there restraunt differently personally to me its just money and i dont care how i earn it, im only doing it for my daughter. yet if i was living off benifits id be knocked back for that too so its hard to win!
also i may not be a student because im not in college now but i have been for the past 3 years and theres plenty of people that come on here student or not.
thanks though people for your input
smieybop
Why are you all being so unsupporive?
Least her and her husband are working to provide for their kids, instead of just claiming any and every benefit they can.

I agree.
Working at mcdonalds is fine. I have been working there for the past 2 1/2 years and its fine there.
Reply 10
Perseverance
Personally I wouldn't advice working there, as I'm sure with a bit of luck you can find something better. Something about the majority of people working their being foreign and the dullness of the job made me quit after the first day - and I can tell you I've never been one to give up easily. Although, I did work hard looking for another job - and managed to find one within a week, so it's possible!

Oh the irony

Also, to the original poster, good on you. I wish the stigma attached to working at McDonalds didnt exist. Its really no better/worse than working at tesco/argos/younameit.
Reply 11
Mcdonalds emailed me saying I will be called in for an interview. However, they haven't got back to me yet explaining when I'm going to have the interview?? Ridiculous, I wish they'd reply, so I'd know for definate that I have an interview which I could potentially pass and get the job.
Reply 12
Original post by Crombie
Oh the irony

Also, to the original poster, good on you. I wish the stigma attached to working at McDonalds didnt exist. Its really no better/worse than working at tesco/argos/younameit.

I've heard from a few friends who work there that it is alright. I applied but they didn't get back to me. I'd rather not work there, and not because what people would say to me, but because it always looks like the staff are rushing around. You can't exactly just keep to yourself, either, the job appears to rely a lot on teamwork.

Saying that, I think McDonalds are working hard on their image from what it was either a year or two ago. A couple near to me which I've been in have been refurbished and they look a much nicer place for it.
Reply 13
I've been working there over two years (handed in my resignation a couple of days ago though, but that's irrelevant). It's actually quite a fun job if you have a laugh with the staff. They're quite flexible, so ask for certain days off, and they'll give it to you. You also only need 2 weeks notice if you want to book a holiday/etc, so it's good like that.
I'm only part time though, so I've never had a weekend off without specifically asking for it, but if you're going to be full time, you should be able to get weekends off, or if not, every other weekend.
Reply 14
Original post by Crombie
Oh the irony

Apart from Tesco (and AFAIK, Argos) pay quite a bit more. My friend was on like £4.80p/h at McDonalds at 19/20 and the people I knew at Tesco were on about £6.50p/h

Latest

Trending

Trending