The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by alibee
Oh gosh well I really hated medicine! I left that long before I decided what else I wanted to study. I've worked managing a shop for 3 years and have decided that I need to go back to uni before the rest of my brain rots :p:

I decided I wanted to be a doctor at a young age and when i got started on placements, I really couldn't be bothered with it. I found it boring. Just not suited to me.

Having taken some time out and taken some OU courses, I can see that I want to study maths at a higher level. I'm applying for MORSE type courses at all 5 unis, maths for management basically.

I also considered medicine as well, but found work experience the most boring 2 weeks of my life.
Reply 201
Original post by Noble.

Original post by Noble.
I also considered medicine as well, but found work experience the most boring 2 weeks of my life.

Hehehe I'm not sure why it took me 2 years of a degree to work out how much I didn't like it. I liked my work experience because I'm a people person and can generally get on alright where left to just get on with folks but no way could I do that as a job/do another 4 years of that at uni.... :p:
GCSE: A*A*AAAABBBB (Inc A* in maths)
AS: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry

If I were to achieve all A's or maybe 3 A's and a B at AS, do I have a chance at places like Warwick and imperial? I don't intend to apply to Oxbridge because I'll have a lot of competition against people with much higher GCSE grades than me. Also not sure whether this is important but I don't have a MFL but it is something im worried about.
Original post by mike171193

If I were to achieve all A's or maybe 3 A's and a B at AS, do I have a chance at places like Warwick and imperial? I don't intend to apply to Oxbridge because I'll have a lot of competition against people with much higher GCSE grades than me. Also not sure whether this is important but I don't have a MFL but it is something im worried about.

I dont see why not, as long as you have the predictions to prove you're capable of getting the reqs on application. You might need very high UMS scores for Imperial though.

I have a B in an AS (albeit, an unrelated one) and I've got offers from both of those. I've also only got 3A*s at GCSE so don't worry about your GCSEs getting in the way (as long as you have an A* in maths). I also don't have an MFL and nor do most people who I know that have applied for maths so it's completely irrelevant unless you decide to apply for a year in Europe or something.

Original post by alexs2602
You might need very high UMS scores for Imperial though.

You don't (by very high, I'm assuming you mean 95%+). Just need As at AS in relevant ASes, A*s predicted in Maths and FM (probably not even necessary) and some indication that you've taken maths a bit further than the A-Level.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I have a B in an AS (albeit, an unrelated one) and I've got offers from both of those. I've also only got 3A*s at GCSE so don't worry about your GCSEs getting in the way (as long as you have an A* in maths). I also don't have an MFL and nor do most people who I know that have applied for maths so it's completely irrelevant unless you decide to apply for a year in Europe or something.

Thanks very much, this is really reassuring. Did you have anything other than i assume a good grade in step that gave you an advantage? Assuming you got those offers this year, out of interest where are you firming and why? Must be difficult to decide between imperial and warwick.
Reply 206

Did you have anything other than i assume a good grade in step that gave you an advantage?

STEP exams are usually taken in the summer of year 13 after offers are given out (although people do sometimes take them earlier if for whatever reason they had already done the maths A-level earlier). So Warwick won't be looking for you to already have a good STEP grade. They'll make an offer based on your predicted grades (if you continue getting the grades you're getting then you're very likely to get an offer) then you'll need to get the STEP grade required in the offer. This will either be a 1 or a 2 depending on whether or not you get an A* in further maths.
Thanks very much, this is really reassuring. Did you have anything other than i assume a good grade in step that gave you an advantage? Assuming you got those offers this year, out of interest where are you firming and why? Must be difficult to decide between imperial and warwick.

Well, I don't really want to be sitting here bigging myself up! :p:

Only other possibly notable thing other than the grade 1 in STEP I in year 12 was that I conducted an EPQ on the Calculus of Variations towards the end of last year. Google it, it's interesting. I *think* my referee mentioned that I got a 98% average across C1-4 too.

I did get those offers this cycle. I'm really not sure about which I'd prefer to go to at the moment so I'm going to firm Imperial and leave Warwick as an insurance for now and then will hope to take my pick on results day (assuming things go to plan with the A* in FM).
Reply 208

I did get those offers this cycle. I'm really not sure about which I'd prefer to go to at the moment so I'm going to firm Imperial and leave Warwick as an insurance for now and then will hope to take my pick on results day (assuming things go to plan with the A* in FM).

You can't do this. You can any time up until a week before results ask your firm to release you and use your insurance as your new firm, however, on results day, if you decide to have your firm release you it's into clearing, not to your insurance choice.

Universities have the results up to a week before you see them. For example, Warwick would know that you met the grades for your firm and so make their plans/offers to people who miss grades etc. on the basis that you (and all the people in your situation) aren't going there.
Original post by alibee
You can't do this. You can any time up until a week before results ask your firm to release you and use your insurance as your new firm, however, on results day, if you decide to have your firm release you it's into clearing, not to your insurance choice.

Universities have the results up to a week before you see them. For example, Warwick would know that you met the grades for your firm and so make their plans/offers to people who miss grades etc. on the basis that you (and all the people in your situation) aren't going there.

I see, I wasn't aware of that... Thanks for the heads up.

Ok, I'll leave it until I've done my June exams and then make the decision with hopefully a bit of a larger knowledge base about the two.
Well, I don't really want to be sitting here bigging myself up! :p:

Only other possibly notable thing other than the grade 1 in STEP I in year 12 was that I conducted an EPQ on the Calculus of Variations towards the end of last year. Google it, it's interesting. I *think* my referee mentioned that I got a 98% average across C1-4 too.

I might look in to doing an EPQ, i'm not sure whether it's too late or not though. Also congrats on getting a 1 in STEP so early on, I don't think I'm quite capable of that yet.

From what I've heard about Imperial and Warwick, I think you've probably made the right decision. Ill definitely go and see both of them, was also thinking of looking at Nottingham, possibly Bristol, St Andrews and KCL.
I might look in to doing an EPQ, i'm not sure whether it's too late or not though. Also congrats on getting a 1 in STEP so early on, I don't think I'm quite capable of that yet.

From what I've heard about Imperial and Warwick, I think you've probably made the right decision. Ill definitely go and see both of them, was also thinking of looking at Nottingham, possibly Bristol, St Andrews and KCL.

Good idea. They are all great Universities. Also, don't discount Oxbridge just because of your GCSE grades as they don't matter much AT ALL for maths admissions. You just need to be able to impress with your AS performance (high UMS if you're thinking Cambridge), your performance in any tests or interviews (Oxford have the MAT before interviews and basically make their selections through that. A good performance in that i.e. around 90% will pretty much guarantee you a place) and your interest in maths (possibly by taking it further than the syllabus i.e. looking at challenging problems).

Good luck.
Original post by Crushed Bug

GCSEs: AABBBBBCCCCCD

A-Levels (already got): A*A*E (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)

Universities applied to: Oxford, Warwick, Manchester, Leeds and Bath

What d'you think, guys?

how did you get two a*s and an e?
physics is basically further maths...
Reply 213
GCSEs: AABBBBBCCCCCD

A-Levels (already got): A*A*E (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)

Universities applied to: Oxford, Warwick, Manchester, Leeds and Bath

What d'you think, guys?

i'm at Leeds for maths at the moment, they offered AAB and i got AAA, i love it here so come to an open day for sure!!
Reply 214
Original post by mindlessinvalid
how did you get two a*s and an e?
physics is basically further maths...

WHAT! no way
Hi guys. I've applied for University this year for the Computer Science (B.Sc, 3 Years) course, and received all five of my offers (Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Manchester Met., and Sheffield). The highest offer was from Leeds, Manchester, and Sheffield which was AAB including A-Level Mathematics.

Not long ago, I realised that I preferred Mathematics over Computer Science, hence I requested Manchester (My Firm Choice) to change my initial choice of Computer Science to Mathematics. I am 100% sure that this is what I want to do, however I'm afraid that my GCSE and AS-Level Grades may cause some issues.

My GCSE results are A*A(Mathematics)AABBBBCD and my AS-Level Grades are B(Mathematics)BBEE. My Predicted Grades are A(Mathematics)AB. My module scores in Mathematics were as follows:

Core Mathematics 1: 79/100 UMS.
Core Mathematics 2: 85/100 UMS.
Probability and Statistics 1: 66/100 UMS (Re-sat on 26/01/2011).
Core Mathematics 3: ??
Core Mathematics 4: Yet to do.
Decision Mathematics 1: Yet to do.

There are three A-Level requirements for Mathematics at Manchester, which are as follows:

A*(Mathematics)AB.
A(Mathematics)AA including AA in Modules C3 and C4.
A(Mathematics)AB including A-Level Further Mathematics (This doesn't apply to me, as I didn't take A-Level Further Mathematics).

I am certain that I can achieve A(Mathematics)AB with possibly AA in Modules C3 and C4, however I'm worried that this might not be enough. Does anyone think I stand a chance? Manchester did mention that their three offers (Mentioned Above) are their "Typical A-Level Requirements". I really want to go to Manchester. :frown:
How important would the AS be (if you only carried on 3 out of 4 A Levels) in entry requirements?
For example if I got:
A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics (Full A Level)
and C in chemistry (AS)
Reply 217
Original post by LiquidExtreme12

Original post by LiquidExtreme12
Hi guys. I've applied for University this year for the Computer Science (B.Sc, 3 Years) course, and received all five of my offers (Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Manchester Met., and Sheffield). The highest offer was from Leeds, Manchester, and Sheffield which was AAB including A-Level Mathematics.

Not long ago, I realised that I preferred Mathematics over Computer Science, hence I requested Manchester (My Firm Choice) to change my initial choice of Computer Science to Mathematics. I am 100% sure that this is what I want to do, however I'm afraid that my GCSE and AS-Level Grades may cause some issues.

My GCSE results are A*A(Mathematics)AABBBBCD and my AS-Level Grades are B(Mathematics)BBEE. My Predicted Grades are A(Mathematics)AB. My module scores in Mathematics were as follows:

Core Mathematics 1: 79/100 UMS.
Core Mathematics 2: 85/100 UMS.
Probability and Statistics 1: 66/100 UMS (Re-sat on 26/01/2011).
Core Mathematics 3: ??
Core Mathematics 4: Yet to do.
Decision Mathematics 1: Yet to do.

There are three A-Level requirements for Mathematics at Manchester, which are as follows:

A*(Mathematics)AB.
A(Mathematics)AA including AA in Modules C3 and C4.
A(Mathematics)AB including A-Level Further Mathematics (This doesn't apply to me, as I didn't take A-Level Further Mathematics).

I am certain that I can achieve A(Mathematics)AB with possibly AA in Modules C3 and C4, however I'm worried that this might not be enough. Does anyone think I stand a chance? Manchester did mention that their three offers (Mentioned Above) are their "Typical A-Level Requirements". I really want to go to Manchester. :frown:

If they did give you an offer, you'll need to either bring your B up to an A or get a 90% average in C3/C4. Based on what you've said, you may find this difficult although now that you're not studying 5 subjects any more, you might be ably to use the extra time to achieve this. But either way you would have a lot of work to do to meet the offer.

I think from Manchester's point of view, they'll know that if they make you the offer then you won't be certain to meet it. So I suppose it all depends on how over/undersubscribed the course is this year and on whether your personal statement shows good passion for the subject etc (even if it's for maths rather than computer science).

I think you just need to wait and see.
Original post by Rickelton

Original post by Rickelton
WHAT! no way

ok some of it is different but all the mechanics stuff overlaps
its just you seem really clever with the a* and stuff so i was wondering
never mind lol
Reply 219
Original post by sam-jennings

Original post by sam-jennings
How important would the AS be (if you only carried on 3 out of 4 A Levels) in entry requirements?
For example if I got:
A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics (Full A Level)
and C in chemistry (AS)

Offers are usually made on only three A-levels, so once you've got an offer you can just forget about chemistry and concentrate on getting those A*s and As.

However to get an offer, bear in mind that you will be competing against applicants with higher grades so for the really competitive places (e.g. Cambridge) this could count against you. But remember that they do also look at the whole application and the grades they're most interested in are maths/further maths. You're clearly very strong on these.

So I'd be pretty sure that if you did apply to the top universities for maths, you'd certainly get some offers.

Quick Reply

Latest