The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
If I don't get it this year though, I'll definitely be predicted it next year. Surely that will count? :s-smilie:

I had a look at the FAQ for Warwick maths and it says they don't mind about resits so I would hope that this means you can resit C3/C4 next year if necessary to get that A*. Thinking it through, I reckon it's quite likely to be the case. However, this is getting into the finer details of the offer so if you do end up in that situation then it may be worth checking their website and/or contacting the admissions people to clarify things.

As for Cambridge, getting the grade the first time is always better than getting it on a resit so it would still look bad.

Also if I could mention, isn't completing A level syllabus for maths harder than AS maths and further maths in one year? I would have thought so, leading them to assume I'll be more ready for Further maths and therefore more likely to get the A*. That's just how I thought of it. :s-smilie:

I'm not sure exactly what the difference in difficulty is, but it's not huge. I don't think that would make a huge impact.
Original post by ttoby
I had a look at the FAQ for Warwick maths and it says they don't mind about resits so I would hope that this means you can resit C3/C4 next year if necessary to get that A*. Thinking it through, I reckon it's quite likely to be the case. However, this is getting into the finer details of the offer so if you do end up in that situation then it may be worth checking their website and/or contacting the admissions people to clarify things.

As for Cambridge, getting the grade the first time is always better than getting it on a resit so it would still look bad.

I'm not sure exactly what the difference in difficulty is, but it's not huge. I don't think that would make a huge impact.

Okay thanks again Toby, that cleared things up for me. :smile:
Original post by Crushed Bug
GCSEs: AABBBBBCCCCCD

A-Levels (already got): A*A*E (Maths, Further Maths, Physics)

Universities applied to: Oxford, Warwick, Manchester, Leeds and Bath

What d'you think, guys?

I think you need to retake Physics.
:O But I am good at maths. Surely if I get an A/A* this year for the full A level since I'm doing it like that, it will prove I'm capable and my January flop was just a minor blip?

I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything but I think that I should mention that it's really difficult to make up for poor modules. When I applied, I had high 90s in all maths modules bar one (98% average from C1-C4 and thus an A* in A2 maths) and a good STEP I mark; from year 12 and in my feedback following the rejection I was told that my interview performance was pretty good too (8.5/10 average over the 3 interviews). The problem was that I had a B (73UMS) from M1 and possibly a B in an unrelated AS (Economics) to a lesser extent. I was pooled and then rejected; with the message being that they couldn't justify an offer due to my AS grades.

You're going to have to do some serious convincing to make up for an E.
(edited 12 years ago)
Okay thanks again Toby, that cleared things up for me. :smile:

To be fair, Farhan makes a very fair point: he's an amazing mathematician but if he didnt get in because of two Bs then an E seems inexcusable unless you manage an amazing excuse like DFranklin mentions.

Your best shot is probably with Warwick and as I'm sure you know it's amazing too, it's nothing to be embarrassed about.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything but I think that I should mention that it's really difficult to make up for poor modules. When I applied, I had high 90s in all maths modules bar one (98% average from C1-C4 and thus an A* in A2 maths) and a good STEP I mark; from year 12 and in my feedback following the rejection I was told that my interview performance was pretty good too (8.5/10 average over the 3 interviews). The problem was that I had a B (73UMS) from M1 and possibly a B in an unrelated AS (Economics) to a lesser extent. I was pooled and then rejected; with the message being that they couldn't justify an offer due to my AS grades.

But I will get 95% this time around. :s-smilie: The E was from January. :/ Or were you B's from January which weren't raised in the summer?
Reply 306
But I will get 95% this time around. :s-smilie: The E was from January. :/ Or were you B's from January which weren't raised in the summer?

The pertinent questions is really why you didn't get 95% first time around. To be brutally honest, if you're going to apply for maths at somewhere like Cambridge you should be at least getting high B's in modules, even if you haven't done any work for them beyond looking at the textbook on the morning of the exam.

You still have to declare all your retakes in the Cambridge SAQ. That E will be picked up on, so unless there's a very good ameliorating reason it's going to disadvantage you.
Original post by alexs2602
To be fair, Farhan makes a very fair point: he's an amazing mathematician but if he didnt get in because of two Bs then an E seems inexcusable unless you manage an amazing excuse like DFranklin mentions.

Your best shot is probably with Warwick and as I'm sure you know it's amazing too, it's nothing to be embarrassed about.

He does make a good point. And aha, Wawick is indeed my most realistic option and is amazing, I hold it in higher regard than Imperial for sure, but Cambridge is the dream.
Original post by around
The pertinent questions is really why you didn't get 95% first time around. To be brutally honest, if you're going to apply for maths at somewhere like Cambridge you should be at least getting high B's in modules, even if you haven't done any work for them beyond looking at the textbook on the morning of the exam.

You still have to declare all your retakes in the Cambridge SAQ. That E will be picked up on, so unless there's a very good ameliorating reason it's going to disadvantage you.

Yeah, I see what you mean. But only 2 people got A's in my class in the Jan exam, and around 10 of us got E's with the majority getting C's and a few B's. Is speaking to my college about it a possibility, I don't think I'll be applying to Cambridge now anyhow, i'm expecting a B in chemistry, so my chances are effectively minimal now.

You can do STEP I in year 12!
Original post by around

Any possibility on simply lying?
You can do STEP I in year 12!

You can do any STEP exam at any point in your academia.

I know someone who did STEP I and II in year 11 (albeit, not too well) but it's by no means recommended as a bad result really doesn't look great.
You can do any STEP exam at any point in your academia.

I know someone who did STEP I and II in year 11 (albeit, not too well) but it's by no means recommended as a bad result really doesn't look great.

Wow, no wonder you have such a sweet offer from Warwick! I wish I'd attempted that now lol. Ah well, I may not have done so well anyways.
Yeah, I see what you mean. But only 2 people got A's in my class in the Jan exam, and around 10 of us got E's with the majority getting C's and a few B's.
Well, if 2 got A's and the majority got C's and B's, you're saying you did (much) worse than most of your class. It seems a little blinkered to put the blame on your teacher, to be honest.

I will say that I think people actually go a bit far with "if you're Cambridge material you can't possibly find anything on the A-level difficult". I certainly struggled with mechanics when I started. But if you're applying for maths, you want to avoid those difficulties showing up in your exam results. If that means getting a tutor, or postponing an exam until June, that's what you should do.

Is speaking to my college about it a possibility, I don't think I'll be applying to Cambridge now anyhow, i'm expecting a B in chemistry, so my chances are effectively minimal now.
Realistically, yes. I think the proportion of maths UGs without at least AAA is around 1%.
Original post by DFranklin
Realistically, yes. I think the proportion of maths UGs without at least AAA is around 1%.

I'll have AAA it just won't be coming from chem, it'll be from Maths, Further Maths, Physics and maybe Biology. Although I accept my chances for Cambridge are minimal now, I do think however I will still apply, since my one assured offer is Birmingham using the A2B scheme.
Reply 315
Im in year 11 atm (going for results 25th and into a sixth form) and i have had a revelation that i want to succeed in medicine but i was wondering depending on university, my predicted grades are somewhere like this 2 A*s, 4 As and 3 Bs. I just realised how much im going to have to work during my A levels and im oddly excited to work? idk why its odd cause its never been like that in my life (10 weeks off has got to me) and just required your advice on everything and help. Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Wow, no wonder you have such a sweet offer from Warwick! I wish I'd attempted that now lol. Ah well, I may not have done so well anyways.
As I understand it, Farhan's offer is the Warwick standard offer; he just happens to already have the A* 1 component. Warwick normally make the same offer to everyone.

(For that matter, I got an "unconditional offer" from Cambridge. However, given I applied with AAAA11, I was either going to get an unconditional or get rejected).
As I understand it, Farhan's offer is the Warwick standard offer; he just happens to already have the A* 1 component. Warwick normally make the same offer to everyone.

(For that matter, I got an "unconditional offer" from Cambridge. However, given I applied with AAAA11, I was either going to get an unconditional or get rejected).

Did you finish your A levels a year early?
Original post by boromir9111
Did you finish your A levels a year early?
I took 2 A-levels in year 10, 2 A-levels (+ 2 S-levels) in year 11, and 2 A-levels (+ 1 S-level) in year 12. I applied at the beginning of year 12 (and went up to Cambridge 1 year earlier than normal).
Reply 319
I took 2 A-levels in year 10, 2 A-levels (+ 2 S-levels) in year 11, and 2 A-levels (+ 1 S-level) in year 12. I applied at the beginning of year 12 (and went up to Cambridge 1 year earlier than normal).

That is what i call genius!
Are you still an undergrad at Cam?

Quick Reply

Latest