The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Crushed Bug
Reading through it now. It's all positive stuff, I think it should be all right. I'd've thought reapplicants using the same reference would be common, is that not the case?

Common, yes. That doesn't necessarily make it a fantastic idea. However if it's all good stuff, I wouldn't worry.
Reply 21
Hey I got:

GCSE : A*AAABBBBBCCC
AS : ABCC (Full A level Maths , Electronics , Computing , History)

Predicted Final Resutls:
A* - A2 Math (1 retake)
A*/A - A2 Further Maths
A*/A - A2 Electronics (1 retake)
A - AS Critical Thinking
A/B - AS History (1 retake)
C - AS Computing

I was meant to get A* in my maths this year with A in electronics and A in computing. I was a 2 marks of the A* in maths ,1% of an A in Electronics, and even though I was 0.5% of a B in computing I messed that up.

But I looking to rectify my results this year especially with a more relaxed time table this year, so do you think I could get into oxford if so then what college?
Reply 22
What you guys think of my chances?

GCSE's: Distinction*AABBBBBC

AS (Not cashed in, so not on UCAS form): aaac

Predicted: A*A*A/A*AA in maths, further math and English Lit. Dropping Economics at AS and probably re-taking to get it up to a 'b' since I was 1 mark off a 'b'.

Uni's applying to:

Durham
UCL
Oxford
Bath
Warwick/Imperial/Bristol

Since UCL and Durham ask for module scores:

C1- 100, C2- 100, FP1- 89, S1- 90, M1- 93, M2- 87 (Re-taking this)

So, what are my chances? Thanks.
Here's my choices:

GCSE: 8A*'S, 2A's, B

A Levels:
A* - Maths (full A Level)
A - Chemistry (AS)
A - Biology (AS)
So this year I'll be taking a full A Level in Further Maths and also I'm most likely dropping Biology.

Uni Choices:
Oxford
LSE (Maths/Economics course with emphasis on Maths)
Warwick
Two out of Bristol/Imperial/UCL

Module scores - C1-86, C2-95, S1-74, M1-89, C3-88, C4-100
Ultimate1

Predicted: A*A*A/A*AA in maths, further math and English Lit. Dropping Economics at AS and probably re-taking to get it up to a 'b' since I was 1 mark off a 'b'.

Uni's applying to:

Durham
UCL
Oxford
Bath
Warwick/Imperial/Bristol

Hey

Looking at everything, you look like you have a really good shot at this! As long as you ace everything, from ps to ampiltude test and interview, you'll probably be here next year at this time getting ready for Oxford :biggrin:
Reply 25
cpdavis
Hey

Looking at everything, you look like you have a really good shot at this! As long as you ace everything, from ps to ampiltude test and interview, you'll probably be here next year at this time getting ready for Oxford :biggrin:

Thanks, mate. But don't you think my GCSE's undermine me a bit?
Reply 26
Ultimate1

Uni's applying to:

Durham
UCL
Oxford
Bath
Warwick/Imperial/Bristol

Since when? Do you have a source?

Also, do they look at module scores for ALL subjects or just Maths?
Reply 27
SundayJob
Since when? Do you have a source?

Also, do they look at module scores for ALL subjects or just Maths?

Dont know when they started looking at them, but it's only for maths and further maths!
Reply 28
Ultimate1
Dont know when they started looking at them, but it's only for maths and further maths!

Yeah I know, but do they look at module marks for all degree subjects or just Maths?

For example Engineering / Physics, etc, would they still look at module marks or did they just say specifically for a Maths degree?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 29
Hello))
my AS results are: AAB (both a's are very strong- 90+)
I am predicted A*A*A.

is it worth applying to oxbridge for maths? or any other top unis with AAA-A*AA requirements?

my predicted grades satisfy the requirements, but my actual grades not. Is this a problem?

Thank you!
Hey guys,I'm planning to apply for:Imperial,Warwick,Bristol,UCL and Bath.

My GCSEs:
Maths-A*
Science-A*
Additional Science-A*
R.S.-A*
Mandarin Chinese-A*
English Language-A
English Literature-A
Geography-A
Additional Maths-A (highest possible grade)

What do you think? Are my GCSEs good enough?
fidan134
Hello))
my AS results are: AAB (both a's are very strong- 90+)
I am predicted A*A*A.

is it worth applying to oxbridge for maths? or any other top unis with AAA-A*AA requirements?

my predicted grades satisfy the requirements, but my actual grades not. Is this a problem?

Thank you!

Why did you not take 4 ASs? And what subjects are you taking?
Reply 32
If you haven't taken A-levels yet then it's a bit too early to tell. Your GCSEs are pretty good, but that's about as much as I can say.
Ruvermillion
Hey guys,I'm planning to apply for:Imperial,Warwick,Bristol,UCL and Bath.

My GCSEs:
Maths-A*
Science-A*
Additional Science-A*
R.S.-A*
Mandarin Chinese-A*
English Language-A
English Literature-A
Geography-A
Additional Maths-A (highest possible grade)

What do you think? Are my GCSEs good enough?

Well they look lik a good start, but wait till A level still you decide where you want to apply though :yep:
Reply 34
Ultimate1

Uni's applying to:

Durham
UCL
Oxford
Bath
Warwick/Imperial/Bristol

Can anyone rate my chaces for this:

Imperial, UCL, Oxford, Bath, Warwick/AAB uni?
Reply 35
GCSEs: Distinction* AAABBBBBCC
AS: AAAB > Maths/Psychology/Religious Studies/Further Maths

Not sure what I'm predicted yet, but would probably be along the lines of A*A*AA
Continuing all 4 onto A2 and the course I'm applying to is Maths (with/and economics if they have the course) at the following Uni's:

UCL
King's College London
Queen Mary University
Imperial
Cambridge/Oxford

I realise my GCSEs are really low in comparison to my AS grades and will probably leave me with no chance for Oxbridge, but I wanted to see how my chances are.
implus
I realise my GCSEs are really low in comparison to my AS grades and will probably leave me with no chance for Oxbridge, but I wanted to see how my chances are.

:five:
Reply 37
implus
GCSEs: Distinction* AAABBBBBCC
AS: AAAB > Maths/Psychology/Religious Studies/Further Maths

Not sure what I'm predicted yet, but would probably be along the lines of A*A*AA
Continuing all 4 onto A2 and the course I'm applying to is Maths (with/and economics if they have the course) at the following Uni's:

UCL
King's College London
Queen Mary University
Imperial
Cambridge/Oxford

Why did you get a 'b' in further maths if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 38
My further maths 'teacher' was not teaching properly I guess, going vaguely through the chapters of each book we did, saying that we'd 'get it eventually', and did not even complete teaching the D2 module for us. The modules that we did for further maths were FP1,D1 and D2. Then a few weeks before the exams started, he left the school leaving us with no 'qualified' further maths teacher because all the maths teachers did not know how to teach it.

But to be fair, I should've taken it upon myself to self learn the modules, so he isn't all to blame.
Reply 39
implus

The GCSEs aren't great by Oxbridge standards, but for mathematics they aren't the bee-all and end all.

Where Oxford are concerned, your chances are pretty much based on your performance in the admissions test and interview. Most results can be overcome by this, although obviously good results help.

In Cambridge's case, whilst the interview is important, strong AS results are also valued highly, and yours are definitely not that strong. (Although I think TSR has many members who've gotten in with low GCSEs)

Fortunately, you've applied for a nice range of universities, and I would be shocked if none of them let you in. I'm curious as to why you've applied almost exclusively to London though?

Quick Reply