The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

I've already posted, but no one replied so here goes again...
GCSE: 8A*'S, 2A's, B

A Levels:
A* - Maths (full A Level)
A - Chemistry (AS)
A - Biology (AS)
So this year I'll be taking a full A Level in Further Maths and I've dropped Biology.
My predictions should be A*A*A

Oxford
UCL/LSE (Maths/Economics course with emphasis on Maths)
Warwick
Imperial
Bristol/Bath

Module scores - C1-86, C2-95, S1-74, M1-89, C3-88, C4-100
(edited 13 years ago)
Ultimate1
Uni prep is coming along quite nicely. Basically done PS, just doing a few tweaks. You?

Well still preparing for STEP, but prioritising finishing C4 first (nearly finished 4th chapter) Practically finished Personal statement. And UCAS is off in 2 weeks :eek:
HilariousNinja
I've already posted, but no one replied so here goes again...
GCSE: 8A*'S, 2A's, B

A Levels:
A* - Maths (full A Level)
A - Chemistry (AS)
A - Biology (AS)
So this year I'll be taking a full A Level in Further Maths and I've dropped Biology.
My predictions should be A*A*A

Oxford
UCL/LSE (Maths/Economics course with emphasis on Maths)
Warwick
Imperial
Bristol/Bath

Module scores - C1-86, C2-95, S1-74, M1-89, C3-88, C4-100

Yh looks like you have a really good shot at this :yep:
Reply 63
Staring into space
I ended up with Warwick as my Firm and Kings as my insurance, missed out on my Step grade so I'm at Kings now, I would recommend Bath as your final choice.

Ahhhhh.....Unlucky about STEP. Was it by much that you missed out? Yeah I'm probably going with Bath now! :woo:
GCSEs: 2As(one of which is maths) 4Bs 6Cs

A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics
AS level: Chemistry.
Aiming for AABa.

I'll be 21 on entry so a mature student which the prospectuses seem to say affects the offer. Had some 'problems' which have been mentioned in my PS to explain age. Been to college once for 2 years, took a year off, found a new college and I'm doing this now. In second year of 'new' college.

Looking to apply for MMath in Maths(obv) at;
Nottingham
Manchester
Southampton
Leeds
UEA
Reply 65
What ASes did you get?
SimonM
What ASes did you get?

Not brilliant so I won't be cashing them in.
Got B in Maths and I can't resit because I switched board.
Further Maths is in progress, doing most in one year.
Economics. Got a B for the first unit not so great for the second, a resit.
It's hardly ideal obviously but I'm in the progress of writing a great Personal Statement then all I can do is let the teachers write my Reference and state my predicteds
Reply 67
OK guys I know I posted earlier but anyway just some info:

GCSE: Diistinction* AABBBBBC
Predictions: A*A*A (Maths, Further maths and English Literature)

Applying:
UCL
Oxford
Imperial
Warwick
Bath

OK Dont wanna apply to Imperial as I think my chances are quite slim and don't wanna take that chance. Where else should I apply that's top 10?
Reply 68
Bristol? If you're serious about IB LSE for a joint degree (although getting in will be a mission with your GCSEs) and failing that any city university and a massive effort on the networking front.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 69
SimonM
Bristol? If you're serious about IB LSE for a joint degree (although getting in will be a mission with your GCSEs) and failing that any city university and a massive effort on the networking front.

Thanks, mate. Isn't Bristol supposed to be like ultra hard to get in for maths? Also LSE is out of the question since my GCSE's absolutely suck:frown: . And I'm definately gonna aim for a 1:1,2;1 and go do a masters at oxbridge so Undergrad at the moment I'm not gonna try VERY hard to get into for. Hopefully I will get an offer from Warwick though for MORSE, then I'll be happy. Hopefully UCL too. :woo:
Reply 70
GCSEs: A*AAAAAABBC
ASs: AAAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Computing, General Studies)
Predicted: A*(A*/A)(A*/A)A

I'm applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham and Manchester.

My GCSEs are sub-par for the universities I'm applying to, and I'm wondering with the very high application:redface:ffer ratios these unis have for maths, if they have some sort of filter for GCSE results which would significantly lessen my chances of an offer. I'm particularly thinking about Imperial, UCL and Durham when I say this, and could someone suggest alternatives if this is the case.
Reply 71
Zuzuzu
GCSEs: A*AAAAAABBC
ASs: AAAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Computing, General Studies)
Predicted: A*(A*/A)(A*/A)A

I'm applying to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham and Manchester.

My GCSEs are sub-par for the universities I'm applying to, and I'm wondering with the very high application:redface:ffer ratios these unis have for maths, if they have some sort of filter for GCSE results which would significantly lessen my chances of an offer. I'm particularly thinking about Imperial, UCL and Durham when I say this, and could someone suggest alternatives if this is the case.

You should get offers :yep: Definetly
PMed some guy but I'll ask here also. How difficult are Bristol/Bath/St Andrews maths offers to get with 90%s at AS and some A*s at GCSE?

I'm wondering whether I need to find a safer choice.
Jeppasloth
PMed some guy but I'll ask here also. How difficult are Bristol/Bath/St Andrews maths offers to get with 90%s at AS and some A*s at GCSE?

I'm wondering whether I need to find a safer choice.

I don't know if that 90% applies to all your AS levels or just your maths but I'd say you have a decent chance just remember you should probably do AEA or STEP I at least
alexs2602
I don't know if that 90% applies to all your AS levels or just your maths but I'd say you have a decent chance just remember you should probably do AEA or STEP I at least

Where do I put STEP down?
Jeppasloth
Where do I put STEP down?

What do you mean? You know I'm talking about this, right?
alexs2602
What do you mean? You know I'm talking about this, right?

Yeah I'm doing it. Do I put it on my UCAS form or my personal statement?
Jeppasloth

Oh right, ask your teacher. I believe they put that in the reference but you can probably do either.
Reply 78
Jeppasloth

You don't put it on the UCAS form. You can mention it in your PS and/or reference.
Reply 79
If you've done it, you put it on UCAS though. (At least, that's my memory of it from over two years ago now)

Quick Reply

Latest