The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Yes, there's a section in 'other qualifications' or the like.
Hey guys,

Thinking about applying to Oxford, Durham, UCL, Imperial and Nottingham or possibly KCL instead of Durham. Very unsure about where I may get in/ if I am applying to the right places

GCSE: 3A*'s 6A's 1B
A levels (completed): A*A*AAa in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, economics and AS art respectively.

UMS: C1:91 C2:96 C3:90 C4:90 S1:82 S2:80 FP1:98 FP2:100 M1:91
M2: 86 M3:100 D1: 93

I know UCL and Durham are into the UMS thing, are mine in the right sort of area or not quite? The GCSE's could be better...

I am gap yearing and will be doing STEP I and atleast FP3, M4 and DE
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
GCSEs A*A*A*AAAAAAB
AS Critical Thinking b
A2 Predictions
Maths A*
F. Maths A*
Physics A
Biology B

Choices:
Oxford
Warwick
Bath
St Andrew's
Undecided back-up

Maths module scores: C1: 100 C2: 100 C3: 100 C4: 84 M1: 93 S1:97

I should be fine shouldn't I?
Reply 83
Hi guys
I got 7A*4A in my GCSEs

A* Maths AS/A2 589/600
A Chemistry AS 288/300
A Biology AS 280/300
and doing Further Maths AS/A2 this year

No idea what I'm predicted, hopefully I'll end up with 4A* though :wink:

Going for Cambridge, Warwick, Edinburgh, Leeds and Manchester

Anyone know what kind of marks/grades they are looking for for Cambridge and Edinburgh, Edinburgh minimum offers seem pretty low?
Ravinda24
Hi guys
I got 7A*4A in my GCSEs

A* Maths AS/A2 589/600
A Chemistry AS 288/300
A Biology AS 280/300
and doing Further Maths AS/A2 this year

No idea what I'm predicted, hopefully I'll end up with 4A* though :wink:

Going for Cambridge, Warwick, Edinburgh, Leeds and Manchester

Anyone know what kind of marks/grades they are looking for for Cambridge and Edinburgh, Edinburgh minimum offers seem pretty low?

You will definitely get great offers and you are in contention for Cambridge with those grades.
Though I don't quite know why you've overlooked the likes of Durham, Bristol and Bath for Mathematics. The London Universities I can understand (location, costly etc..), but not those 3 and a few more.
Ravinda24
Thanks :smile:. Bath and Bristol get so many applications though, something like 1 in 15 get offers, seems a bit too much based on luck considering they don't generally interview. Plus its always good to play it at least a little safe with so many people reapplying this year. Do you think many uni's will give A* offers, seriously dreading Warwicks standard offer :L

Ah alright. Fair enough, but bare in mind you've already got that A* they want so your odds have significantly increased. Bath and Bristol will offer AA if the rest of your application is up to scratch as well as a second offer lower offer including STEP/AEA.
Ravinda24
I hope so, I'm guessing a fairly large portion of people doing further maths already have it as well though. And doing better in STEP than Maths/Fmaths isn't very likely (except maybe paper I) :wink:. Maybe I'm just being overly cautious, but if all else fails, I'll just reapply after I get my grades and have a sweet year out :biggrin:. Which of your choice do you think you'll end up at? They're all fairly impressive, Warwick is definatley my favourite out of them though

I don't think I have a chance of Oxford, I think its being very speculative, but no harm in trying...
Apparently Warwick hand out offers like there's no tomorrow because of its difficulty, so hopefully I should get an offer from them.
Imperial and UCL are the most likely I feel, I'd love to go to either and the grades are achievable.
Reply 87
I'm wanting to do Maths at Leicester. I got AABD (Maths, F Maths, Chemistry, Physics) at AS, and am retaking the Physics to get it up to a B. I'm carrying on all 4 to A2. My predicted grades are ABBB.

Do I have a chance?
Reply 88
Castaras
I'm wanting to do Maths at Leicester. I got AABD (Maths, F Maths, Chemistry, Physics) at AS, and am retaking the Physics to get it up to a B. I'm carrying on all 4 to A2. My predicted grades are ABBB.

Do I have a chance?

Leicester want's AAB, so by your entry requirements no. But you could email them up and ask would you get an offer based on those grades
Castaras

Do I have a chance?

Talk to your teacher and get them to up your FM prediction
Reply 90
jit987
Leicester want's AAB, so by your entry requirements no. But you could email them up and ask would you get an offer based on those grades

alexs2602
Talk to your teacher and get them to up your FM prediction

*sigh* Looks like I do have to persuade my teachers I can keep the A in FM... Was really hoping I didn't have to. =/

Thanks for the advice people.
Castaras
*sigh* Looks like I do have to persuade my teachers I can keep the A in FM... Was really hoping I didn't have to. =/

Thanks for the advice people.

I wouldnt worry yourself, I wouldnt have thought it'd be that difficult as long as you put it to them in the right way.
Reply 92
alexs2602
I wouldnt worry yourself, I wouldnt have thought it'd be that difficult as long as you put it to them in the right way.

Main problem is I've already tried to before, and they knew that I was originally planning on applying for Oxford (my chemistry and phyics predictions threw that one out of the window). At least I'll have 2 months to do so.
GCSE: 7A 4B
AS grades: BCCC Maths, Further Maths, Physics, German (but please note my appendix ruptured in the middle of my second exam in the summer... needless to say I wasn't very well! so these won't be cashed in)
Predicted grades: currently ABB possible AAB based on my January 2010 exams.

Got to be honest, I am really concerned about my uni choices due to the amount of work I now have to do with my resists on top of the exams I have to do in January anyway (C2, C3, C4, S1, S2, M1, M2, FP1 <-- just to name the Maths exams!). I really don't know what sort of grade range I should be applying for.

I have 2 first choice uni's, Nottingham and Lancaster and i'd really like to apply to both. I'm just worried about applying to Nottingham, as If my reference predicts me ABB, I fall outside of their grade requirements... Basically I guess what i'm asking is, is it worth me applying there? I emailed to ask them if they would consider me and they just said they consider the UCAS application as whole not just the predicted grades. My other uni's are likely to be, Birmingham, Liverpool + another I haven't decided on yet...
Reply 94
Original post by CharleyChester
my appendix ruptured in the middle of my second exam in the summer

**** me. i was under the impression that ruptured appendix \Rightarrow death
Original post by Pheylan
**** me. i was under the impression that ruptured appendix \Rightarrow death

got to be honest, so did I! I was told afterwards it depends how long you leave it... apparently (though this wasn't true in my case) sometimes when your appendix ruptures, the pain goes away and you feel better :s-smilie: Which is why people then forget about it and get sick... and then die. I just threw up in the exam room instead :biggrin:
Reply 96
I'm on a gap year and have applied at the following uni's:

Oxford
Imperial
LSE (Maths & Stats)
Warwick (Maths & Stats)
Kings

GCSE's : AAAABBBCD
A-Levels : Maths A*, Economics A*, Sociology A, Further Maths (A/A* prediction)

I am learning Further Maths at home on my own and also will be sitting STEP I. In my reference my teachers also included that in C3 and C4 I got 100 UMS, and 120/120 UMS in Economics Unit 4 Macro.

What do you guys think are my chances of getting into any of the above, considering my poor GCSE's?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by UFK
I'm on a gap year and have applied at the following uni's:

Oxford
Imperial
LSE (Maths & Stats)
Warwick (Maths & Stats)
Kings

GCSE's : AAAABBBCD
A-Levels : Maths A*, Economics A*, Sociology A, Further Maths (A/A* prediction)

I am learning Further Maths at home on my own and also will be sitting STEP I. In my reference my teachers also included that in C3 and C4 I got 100 UMS, and 120/120 UMS in Economics Unit 4 Macro.

What do you guys think are my chances of getting into any of the above, considering my poor GCSE's?

Apart from your GCSEs you have a very strong application; STEP I, Maths, Further Maths and Economics are all excellent aspects and Sociology will be regarded as a 4th A level I would have thought.

However, your GCSEs are hardly A*s but you already have most of your A level grades so that might act against the GCSEs.

I expect you'll get an offer from Warwick at least and that's not something to sniff at. In fact having looked at Warwick's site I would have thought in the best case scenario you could get an unconditional offer, worst case they'll give you an offer conditional on Further Maths and STEP I. Out of curiosity did you consider MORSE at Warwick? You may have more trouble with the other universities though as they're all pretty tough if I remember correctly but like I said with the grades you've achieved so far you've proved you have the ability.
sorry
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 99
I got 4A'S 6B'S for GCSE

Got maths B, economics C, psychology C, chemistry D in Alevels but im resiting one unit from all of then and only got a B in maths because of D1 which i got a C in and got A's in C1 and C2.

I'm applying for Manchester, Sheffield, Cardiff, Liverpool and Lancaster

what do you think??? :confused:

Quick Reply