The Student Room Group

The "Are my grades good enough for Maths..." Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Hi, I am going into year 13 and would like to study Mathematics at university.
I am thinking of applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Birmingham and then 2 other (probably Russell Group) unis that I haven't decided on yet.
My GCSE's were 8 A*s and 2 As plus level 3 Algebra and merit in level 2 IT.
At AS I got 4 As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geology. I will not be continuing Geology to A2 and I will be taking 3 additional maths units instead.
Geology-272/300
Physics-280/300
Maths-294/300
C1-100
C2-98
S1-96
Further Maths-261/300
FP1-86
M1-94
M2-81
I am aware that Further Maths is below 90% but I'm not sure if I could have some modules recertificated so I am more likely to get an A* in it next year. I am concerned about the fact that FP1 and M2 were low As, although FP1 was a bad exam, usually I would only drop a couple of marks but I know that I misunderstood the wording of one question, I did know how to do all of the maths. I have heard rumours about needing 95% average or above, but mine across all subjects is 92% :/
Do you think that I have a chance with Cambridge based on these grades, and am likely to get offers from the other universities? Thank you if you read this, I know it's quite long.
Original post by izzy21
I am thinking of applying to Cambridge, Warwick, Birmingham and then 2 other (probably Russell Group) unis that I haven't decided on yet.
At AS I got 4 As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geology. I will not be continuing Geology to A2 and I will be taking 3 additional maths units instead.
Geology-272/300
Physics-280/300
Maths-294/300
C1-100
C2-98
S1-96
Further Maths-261/300
FP1-86
M1-94
M2-81
I am aware that Further Maths is below 90% but I'm not sure if I could have some modules recertificated so I am more likely to get an A* in it next year. I am concerned about the fact that FP1 and M2 were low As, although FP1 was a bad exam, usually I would only drop a couple of marks but I know that I misunderstood the wording of one question, I did know how to do all of the maths. I have heard rumours about needing 95% average or above, but mine across all subjects is 92% :/
Do you think that I have a chance with Cambridge based on these grades, and am likely to get offers from the other universities? Thank you if you read this, I know it's quite long.

Your Further Maths UMS may be an issue. However your top 3 relevant percentage is fine and you will certainly get an interview. Impress Cambridge at interview and you're almost guaranteed an offer (in general they hand out a good percentage of offers as they are so hard to meet). You are extremely likely to get offers from the other universities (especially Warwick; basically everyone gets an offer)
Original post by izzy21
Geology-272/300
Physics-280/300
Maths-294/300
C1-100
C2-98
S1-96
Further Maths-261/300
FP1-86
M1-94
M2-81

If you want to go to Cambridge then it's worth applying; people have had Bs in one or two modules when applying and still got in. Rumours you've heard about needing 95% average are only that, rumours. STEP means unlike other subjects, they're able to take chances on borderline candidates
Reply 1143
Hey guys im wondering what my best possible options are for maths with these grades thanks :smile: -
GCSE's : A*A*AAABBBBBBB
AS-Grades -> Mathematics = A
Further Mathematics = A
Physics = B
Computing = C (Dropped for A2)
Maths modules - > C1 = 96 C2 = 95 FP1 =79 M1 = 90 S1 = 90 D1 = 88
Predicted grades most likely = A*AA or A*A*B
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aero98
Hey guys im wondering what my best possible options are for maths with these grades thanks :smile: -
GCSE's : A*A*AAABBBBBBB
AS-Grades -> Mathematics = A
Further Mathematics = A
Physics = B
Computing = C (Dropped for A2)
Maths modules - > C1 = 96 C2 = 95 FP1 =79 M1 = 90 S1 = 90 D1 = 88
Predicted grades most likely = A*AA or A*A*B

I'd say you have quite a few good options. Probably the best sensible one is Warwick; Imperial is maybe possible and on a similar level but Warwick is less selective in the process of actually giving offers. (this is significant as your AS grades are slightly below the general standard expected by these unis)

But I am biased; there are lots of other very good unis for maths; Bristol, Bath and UCL are just a few that come to mind. If you can work on obtaining an A in Physics next year this will open up a ton of doors as so many offers from unis of this standard are A*A*A and A*AA.
Reply 1145
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I'd say you have quite a few good options. Probably the best sensible one is Warwick; Imperial is maybe possible and on a similar level but Warwick is less selective in the process of actually giving offers. (this is significant as your AS grades are slightly below the general standard expected by these unis)

But I am biased; there are lots of other very good unis for maths; Bristol, Bath and UCL are just a few that come to mind. If you can work on obtaining an A in Physics next year this will open up a ton of doors as so many offers from unis of this standard are A*A*A and A*AA.

Hey i think I'm gonna apply to Warwick , Bath(A*AA), Bristol(AAA), Exeter(AAB) and Royal Holloway(ABB).
Do you think they are fine or should i aim lower because bath is the only one im not sure ill get an offer from out of them. Thanks. Btw i'm retaking physics to secure an A.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aero98
Hey i think I'm gonna apply to Warwick , Bath(A*AA), Bristol(AAA), Exeter(AAB) and Royal Holloway(ABB).
Do you think they are fine or should i aim lower because bath is the only one im not sure ill get an offer from out of them. Thanks. Btw i'm retaking physics to secure an A.

Nah you probably don't need anything lower; you've got two on or below your AS level grades and that should be fine.
edit: by the way I applied for 4/5 of those. :tongue:
Reply 1147
Nah you probably don't need anything lower; you've got two on or below your AS level grades and that should be fine.

Hahaha nice great minds think alike... I may change royal holloway depending on my predicted grades. Well thanks for the advice i will take it onboard. :smile:
Reply 1148
Hi guys, I am an international student so please allow my poor English.I am applying to unis now and just wondering my chances to get accepted from unis I am applying to. I am applying to UCL for Mathematics, LSE for Mathematics with Economics. The followings are my scores, etc.

AEA Mathematics Merit
A-Level A* in Maths(with 97 marks in both C3 and C4)
AS-Level A in Further Maths(FP1 97, FP3 A, M1 A) sorry can't remember UMSs
D in Economics (Unit 1 E, Unit 2 B)
E in Psychology (Unit 1 U, Unit 2 E)
IMC/SMC Gold, Merit in Kangaroo (Best in year/school)
GCSE 1A* in Maths (This is because I came to the UK in year 11.)

I am also applying to Oxford and Imperial for Maths but chances at these unis will depend on my MAT score and performance in interview(s) so I am studying MAT now. I am considering King's for my fifth choice as an insurance but their offer doesn't include A* in Maths even though I've already attained it so will I need to change my mind? If so, could you recommend some unis apart from Warwick and Durham since my parents don't want me to go any of them(I am not saying I am positive that I will be accepted if I apply). By the way, I am studying additional further Maths as a third A-Level subject as I am not very confident I can get an A in any subject apart from Maths because of my English. I wanted to choose sciences like Physics and Chemistry but my school didn't let me since I didn't complete GCSE sciences.Thank you.
Reply 1149

They just changed the warwick entry requirements again do you think i can still get an offer or should i apply to a different university.
Original post by Aero98
They just changed the warwick entry requirements again do you think i can still get an offer or should i apply to a different university.

Pretty sure the original requirements still stand, they've just added further alternative non-STEP ones. If you want to apply there you ought to take STEP so that you aren't forced into A*A*A* but I reckon you'll get an offer anyway.
Hi, I'm worrying about the STEP part of the offers. Having totally fallen in love with the university and the maths course, I am desperate to go to Warwick but am not sure how I'll manage with STEP and if I'll be good enough to get the required grades. I got an A in AS Maths (293 ums), A in AS Further Maths (280 ums), A in AS Physics (287 ums) and a B in As chemistry which I have now dropped. I am just worrying about getting the A*s and how I will manage with STEP. Any thoughts/advice
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hallo.C
Hi, I'm worrying about the STEP part of the offers. Having totally fallen in love with the university and the maths course, I am desperate to go to Warwick but am not sure how I'll manage with STEP and if I'll be good enough to get the required grades. I got an A in AS Maths (293 ums), A in AS Further Maths (280 ums), A in AS Physics (287 ums) and a B in As chemistry which I have now dropped. I am just worrying about getting the A*s and how I will manage with STEP. Any thoughts/advice

Your UMS marks are strong which is a good sign as Warwick now have an alternative A*A*A* offer not including STEP. You need to tackle C3 and C4 very early. The reason is twofold; it will help with you FP2 and/or FP3, and by the time the exams come these will be second nature to you and the A* in Maths will be easy to obtain. A* in Further Maths is not too bad as you can do a lot of A2 units and just need 90% across 3 of them. (and they can be easy ones like S2 D2 M2). A* in Physics is kind of more challenging so I would recommend doing STEP. Just do a lot of practice for it; it's just like regular maths in that regard. Do past questions, do papers timed, and remember you can focus solely on STEP I which is much easier than II and III. The paper is not as evil as everyone suggests it is; have a go at a few questions (preferably more recent - but not too recent of course as you may want some mocks - as the old ones are too easy) and see how you feel then.
Reply 1153
Do you guys think ill get an offer from bristol for Maths and computer science instead of straight maths? As i've heard its competitive. The requirement is still AAA with Further maths. I will also be taking STEP.
GCSEs - A*A*AAAAAAAB

A at A-Level in Mathematics
ACCd at AS (English Lit, Economics, Physics and Chemistry)
85 UMS in FP1 and 71 UMS in S2 (sitting FP2, FP3, S1 and M2 this year)

Predicted AABB in English Lit, Further Maths, Physics and Economics

Applying for Surrey, QMUL, Royal Holloway, Kent and Sussex

Mainly looking at the first two unis - do I stand a chance? And with an A* in Further Maths, would I stand a good chance at LSE with a strong statement and reference?
Original post by Micronex
GCSEs - A*A*AAAAAAAB

A at A-Level in Mathematics
ACCd at AS (English Lit, Economics, Physics and Chemistry)
85 UMS in FP1 and 71 UMS in S2 (sitting FP2, FP3, S1 and M2 this year)

Predicted AABB in English Lit, Further Maths, Physics and Economics

Applying for Surrey, QMUL, Royal Holloway, Kent and Sussex

Mainly looking at the first two unis - do I stand a chance? And with an A* in Further Maths, would I stand a good chance at LSE with a strong statement and reference?

For those I'd imagine so yeah; small bit of risk assuming they ask for more than AAC but given that you have the Maths A Level already and you have those predicted grades it should be alright. LSE maybe not currently; I mean if you got the A* and then took a gap year it could be a different story. It's possible though. Whether you have a chance largely depends on entry requirements for all these unis. I'd imagine anyone at BBB and a fair few at ABB or AAB would be likely to give you an offer and I'd be hesitant to recommend anywhere with a C in their offer as you can probably do better considering you already have an A in A Level Maths.
For those I'd imagine so yeah; small bit of risk assuming they ask for more than AAC but given that you have the Maths A Level already and you have those predicted grades it should be alright. LSE maybe not currently; I mean if you got the A* and then took a gap year it could be a different story. It's possible though. Whether you have a chance largely depends on entry requirements for all these unis. I'd imagine anyone at BBB and a fair few at ABB or AAB would be likely to give you an offer and I'd be hesitant to recommend anywhere with a C in their offer as you can probably do better considering you already have an A in A Level Maths.

Surrey and QMUL are AAA (I was hoping across maths, further and english)

Applying for Maths and Economics btw.
Original post by Micronex
Surrey and QMUL are AAA (I was hoping across maths, further and english)

Applying for Maths and Economics btw.

Yeah having the FM prediction will help and it's probably worth applying.
Original post by Aero98
Do you guys think ill get an offer from bristol for Maths and computer science instead of straight maths? As i've heard its competitive. The requirement is still AAA with Further maths. I will also be taking STEP.

Your predicted are higher than the offer, so probably. I took A2 maths in year 12 and got an A* and got an offer for maths and physics of AB in further A-levels, so they seem to be ok with A*AB as well.
I have sent off my UCAS today applying to Warwick, Bath, Bristol, Manchester and Leeds. When do people usually hear back for Maths at these universities?

Quick Reply