The Student Room Group

Nursing is just confusing me.

Im half way through the first year of a nursing course and i dont even know what NICE guidelines are Ive tried looking it up but cant find websites that explain things simply. Its making me question my ability to be a nurse there is so much stuff that I don't know I cant get my head round it. Is there a website aimed at students that explains things like this including the NMC? Its only really illnesses that interest me so Ive not done any reading up on these guidelines etc.

Scroll to see replies

NICE stands for National Institute for Clinical Excellence and is basically the body which dictates how health care practice should be run. While some things are rigid, they are guidelines to be used in conjunction with clinician's judgement. The institue evaluates epidemiological evidence and comes to conclusions as to how patients should be treated in different scenarios or how drugs should be used. Dont worry about " knowing " them, as they are an extensive list of documents....you will learn the correct manner of administering medication and patient care as you progress through your course and will achieve a satsifactory level iof patient care upon graduation.

http://www.nice.org.uk/

Has all the information you could ever want, but i stress again there is no need to learn them in any form of entirety
Reply 2
Carpediemxx
NICE stands for National Institute for Clinical Excellence and is basically the body which dictates how health care practice should be run. While some things are rigid, they are guidelines to be used in conjunction with clinician's judgement. The institue evaluates epidemiological evidence and comes to conclusions as to how patients should be treated in different scenarios or how drugs should be used. Dont worry about " knowing " them, as they are an extensive list of documents....you will learn the correct manner of administering medication and patient care as you progress through your course and will achieve a satsifactory level iof patient care upon graduation.

Has all the information you could ever want, but i stress again there is no need to learn them in any form of entirety

oh:o: , thankyou:smile:
Riddy
oh:o: , thankyou:smile:

you are v welcome
If you're interested in illnesses then NICE should be a first hand source. It gives us advice using the best available evidebxe on how we manage interventions- eg why do we offer spinal cord stimulators for pain management on the nhs, best way of managing obesity in primary care, smoking cessation in secondary care. It's a very goodidea to get your head around evidence based practice now, get familiar with databases, literature searching etc
Carpediemxx

I don't really think its your place to say what a student nurse should and shouldn't be learning, it's hardly your area- when in actual fact as much as the student nurse doesn't need to know every sunle guideline to heart you need to have key guidance at hand for references in exams, demonstrate learning outcomes in practice through discussing NICE, and evaluating the tools, frameworks it uses in academic writing. Stick to medicine area please.
Subcutaneous
I don't really think its your place to say what a student nurse should and shouldn't be learning, it's hardly your area- when in actual fact as much as the student nurse doesn't need to know every sunle guideline to heart you need to have key guidance at hand for references in exams, demonstrate learning outcomes in practice through discussing NICE, and evaluating the tools, frameworks it uses in academic writing. Stick to medicine area please.

No one answered this person except me, an answer is better than NO answer, since no one else in this nursing forum bothered with her.
As for which forum to post, this isnt a private forum, you are constantly in the medicine forum posting and my post was helpful. Get over yourself!

Also, who is to say i am not a nurse already, jeez i'm glad this attitude is in the minority where i work
Any HCP needs to be aware of the NICE guidelines, it';s unfair to expect anyone to know them all inside out but a working knowledge of those directly relevant to your area of clinical practice is useful

carpediemxx i think Subcut's issue is the rather patronising way in which your comments could be read, in that it could be read in such as way that your view and 'expert' opinion is that Nurses don't need to worry their pretty little heads with evidence based practice.

as for your other comments are you a registered Health Professional ? what clinical experience do you actually have ?
zippyRN
Any HCP needs to be aware of the NICE guidelines, it';s unfair to expect anyone to know them all inside out but a working knowledge of those directly relevant to your area of clinical practice is useful

carpediemxx i think Subcut's issue is the rather patronising way in which your comments could be read, in that it could be read in such as way that your view and 'expert' opinion is that Nurses don't need to worry their pretty little heads with evidence based practice.

as for your other comments are you a registered Health Professional ? what clinical experience do you actually have ?

I don't get how it could be read like that, I read it more as "they're a large set of documents, don't worry about getting your head around it all now, you'll get taught the important ones as you progress, but knowing NICE exists and being able to use it as a source for your clinical development and practice is good"

WRT subcutaneous, I have no issue with medics posting in HC&N, nurses posting in medicine or any other health professional trying to be helpful. After all, the whole point is the HCPs should work together for the best outcome and sometimes a different professional's viewpoint is useful. What I find annoying is people posting antagonistic posts about other HCPs, every different HCP is important, and nurses, doctors, paramedics, radiographers etc should all remember that!
Carpediemxx
No one answered this person except me, an answer is better than NO answer, since no one else in this nursing forum bothered with her.
As for which forum to post, this isnt a private forum, you are constantly in the medicine forum posting and my post was helpful. Get over yourself!

Also, who is to say i am not a nurse already, jeez i'm glad this attitude is in the minority where i work

Lol i used too till i got the comment similar to the one i made- i'm sorry but it can't be a rule for one side. If we're going to get told off or have rude comments about us in medicine- you have to play the same and stick to your area. The majority if threads get answered eventually
chris

remember that posting on the internet is like everyone in the room having aspergers or semantic-pragmatic disorder - i.e. difficulty or absence of interpreting the 'other' clues in communication, because the subtle differences in tone and phrasing that convey emotion / feelings in face to face speech are absent " you don't need to worry about X" might be fine face to face but on t'interwebz you need to be mega careful as they can be interpreted ina number of ways.
Subcutaneous
Lol i used too till i got the comment similar to the one i made- i'm sorry but it can't be a rule for one side. If we're going to get told off or have rude comments about us in medicine- you have to play the same and stick to your area. The majority if threads get answered eventually

You know, i am a very open minded person and i enjoy company from all sorts of people, some of my best freinds at work are porters.
I go out of my way to have a level of respect for everyone. I could very very easily become an egotistical, arrogant **** of a doctor who won't even look a nurse in the eye, because i've had that treatment from nurses to me working as a care worker. This is a free forum, you are welcome to post wherever you want to, as it is in the site's guidelines that all advice is not professional and the thread starter may or may not take your advice
Rude people should be ignored
Reply 12
Subcutaneous
If you're interested in illnesses then NICE should be a first hand source. It gives us advice using the best available evidebxe on how we manage interventions- eg why do we offer spinal cord stimulators for pain management on the nhs, best way of managing obesity in primary care, smoking cessation in secondary care. It's a very goodidea to get your head around evidence based practice now, get familiar with databases, literature searching etc

Does it offer guidance on which asessment tools to use for anxiety with patients? Ive just typed in seach on the NICE site and cant find any guidance on which assesment tools to use.

Also should everything that a nurse does be backed up by NICE guidelines or are there other guidelines they can follow?
horrorboy
Does it offer guidance on which asessment tools to use for anxiety with patients? Ive just typed in seach on the NICE site and cant find any guidance on which assesment tools to use.

Also should everything that a nurse does be backed up by NICE guidelines or are there other guidelines they can follow?

There is a NICE guideline on anxiety management CG22 - http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG22

I found it on the site by going find guidance > guidance by topic > mental health and behavioural

Where a NICE guideline exists it will often underpin trust policies or the trust policy may just refer to the NICE guideline, there is no absolute compulsion to follow a guideline , but alternatives must be evidence based and must meet the ' the level of skill of the ordinary man professing to hold that specials skill' .

there are other sources of Guidelines such as the NPSA - a lot of the observation / deteriorating patient stuff is badged as NPSA, and the RCN and speciality specific organisations often produce guidelines - usually in the absence of NICE or the NPSA viewing the issue as a priority.
Carpediemxx
You know, i am a very open minded person and i enjoy company from all sorts of people, some of my best freinds at work are porters.
I go out of my way to have a level of respect for everyone. I could very very easily become an egotistical, arrogant **** of a doctor who won't even look a nurse in the eye, because i've had that treatment from nurses to me working as a care worker. This is a free forum, you are welcome to post wherever you want to, as it is in the site's guidelines that all advice is not professional and the thread starter may or may not take your advice
Rude people should be ignored

Thats the way we're treated like over in medicine, I made a useful post about interview questions (baring in mind interviews are very similar) and got told to 'go back to my area' and 'you're a nurse, you can't post in here' in the general medicine area. If that seems to be the general consensus over here- then I fail to see why medics feel they can also come over here and post.

I appreciate you probably don't hold the same views, and thats something you should definately stick too as IMO it's a very petty and immature one. You're welcome to post- but I just wanted to make a point.
horrorboy

No not always..as there isn't NICE advice for everything.

However, in a case of law- as a nurse we hold legal, professional and ethical accountability for our acts and omissions, and we can be held to account with the law, our professional body- and even ourselves.

If we get called into question FOR an act/omission- as nurses we have to be able to provide evidence for this, the best available evidence. Part of the NMC code does include this.
Riddy
Im half way through the first year of a nursing course and i dont even know what NICE guidelines are Ive tried looking it up but cant find websites that explain things simply. Its making me question my ability to be a nurse there is so much stuff that I don't know I cant get my head round it. Is there a website aimed at students that explains things like this including the NMC? Its only really illnesses that interest me so Ive not done any reading up on these guidelines etc.

It's slightly concerning that you haven't done any reading up on the guidelines - you may be interested in nursing because you want to learn about illnesses, but you really do need to have a knowledge and understanding of policies and guidelines that underpin practice. You may not be interested but you should try and spend a bit of time perusing some of these kinds of documents. I found it all boring and unnecessary to begin with, but we had so many assignments about policies and guidelines that I had no choice but to immerse myself in them. And I'm embarrassed to say that I actually ended up really enjoying reading reams of policies etc!!
smilee172
It's slightly concerning that you haven't done any reading up on the guidelines - you may be interested in nursing because you want to learn about illnesses, but you really do need to have a knowledge and understanding of policies and guidelines that underpin practice. You may not be interested but you should try and spend a bit of time perusing some of these kinds of documents. I found it all boring and unnecessary to begin with, but we had so many assignments about policies and guidelines that I had no choice but to immerse myself in them. And I'm embarrassed to say that I actually ended up really enjoying reading reams of policies etc!!

I agree, all of my assignments particuarly in 2nd year, and my dissertation in particuarly feature a degree of understanding of evidence based practice, and as guidelines and policies fall under it. I enjoy reading them too, partially because i'm starting to freak out about what will happen if i get a misconduct hearing..or sued :biggrin:
Reply 18
Subcutaneous
I agree, all of my assignments particuarly in 2nd year, and my dissertation in particuarly feature a degree of understanding of evidence based practice, and as guidelines and policies fall under it. I enjoy reading them too, partially because i'm starting to freak out about what will happen if i get a misconduct hearing..or sued :biggrin:

How do they show an understanding of evidence based practice? I have an assignment and am struggling Im not sure what to read.

Also do you use the harvard reference system? I got marked down for quoting the pg numbers in the text on the feedback it said that you should only give the page number when you are quoting chapters. Yet thats what books are made up of chapters so whats the difference between quoting a book and quoting a chapter? Sorry for all the questions things make no sense to me either.
Subcutaneous

Haha geeky or what! Enjoying policies!!

Latest