The Student Room Group

Going to NI from England?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ilickbatteries
Weight limit and that though.

Would be hard not to exceed it.

Taking into account all the other costs, I still think it would be cheaper for someone in London to fly from London. Based on my experiences flying to Belfast, easyjet seem quite generous in the hand luggage area, couldn't believe the size of the cases people were taking on, so combining that with £10 for 20kg its entirely possible!
Reply 41
Original post by bestofyou
cheaper to fly to city airport bru...

Jump on a plane-theyre like buses to NI now - you won't be on your own (once you meet us lot!) I've to get all way from Plymouth with all baggage allowance I can squeeze on board! Dont miss out!
Reply 42
lol, pretty sure the sell those in the uk

They sell them in the states like

They only get sold in NI, really. Not even in London.

Original post by Harbour
This is correct no one is gonna bully you or stigmatize you because your english. In fact, people like me have probably got more to worry about going to queens than you, 'people like me' being local protestants! Well that's according to alot of my fellow school friends and older people anyhow lol.So dont worry!

Why would you have any worry being a protestant at Queens, given the huge amount of protestants that go from Inst alone...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hylean

You sure?

These are the ones in the yellow packet right?

Cause I went on a tour of the factory once (coursework related, I swear) and the told us they had started up in the USA; under a different name though, it was something Irish like O'Keefe or something.

Strange they would start over there but not UK.

Glad you said this though, now I can add several multipacks of tayto to my 'things for uni list'

Original post by marma-duke
Jump on a plane-theyre like buses to NI now - you won't be on your own (once you meet us lot!) I've to get all way from Plymouth with all baggage allowance I can squeeze on board! Dont miss out!

?? I live in NI ??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
You sure?

Cause I went on a tour of the factory once (coursework related, I swear) and the told us they had started up in the USA; under a different name though, it was something Irish like O'Keefe or something.

Glad you said this though, now I can add several multipacks of tayto to my 'things for uni list'

Just go to the tayto website and order the boxes of them.

I was talking about in the UK, specifically, they're only sold in NI and a small amount of places in Scotland. You won't get any in England, except for their crappy sensations rip-offs.
Reply 45
Local protestant as in Belfast, or NI outside belfast?

I'd agree that you'd half more to worry about than an English person. But even then there is still barely anything to worry over.

If you wear a rangers jersey through holylands you'd get some abuse froma few people, all verbal though, I'd be suprised if anything physical became of it. Besides, as long as you can run fast, Snady row is just around the corner...

haha glad u took my post in the light-hearted nature I intended (even though i still think there's an element of truth in what I say).
I meant local as in NI outside Belfast-I live in the country kinda between Larne and Ballyclare.
Yeah Sandy Row's near windsor park if i remember rightly,so not that far from the uni, though most students would be based in areas you've mentioned like the holylands, which seems like a republican paradise if news reports during st patricks day are anyfin to go by.
When im in mixed company i avoid religious/political talk- its just not worth going there and makes things uneccessarily awkward for everyone- even though i have my own views on such stuff, and wearing rangers/celtic/gaelic tops is just daft in many situations. At the same time though, im not ashamed of what i am nor will i allow any nationalist/republican ***** to try and ram their views down my throat unchallenged.
Reply 46
Original post by Hylean

Why would you have any worry being a protestant at Queens, given the huge amount of protestants that go from Inst alone...

My parents are a bit concerned, not massively i emphasise, about the image queens has among many fellow parents they speak to of a uni dominated by republican/anti-protestant students who are very happy to assert they're dominance of the uni scene.
I suppose it might only be rumours or exaggerration, and i personally think alot of people my age are not that bothered about politics/religion so hopefully there'd be no problems.
Well, ill find out for myself soon enough and atm im still just delighted that i got into my law degree in the first place :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by Catherine.
I'm from NI, and just to let you know, Belfast is pretty awesome. And you'll also get to taste tayto cheese and onion crisps. Once you've had them, there's no going back!

You might have to tone down your very public profession of your unionist credentials if u want to avoid the lynch mob at qub if u ever go there!haha
Excellent results, btw :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by Harbour
My parents are a bit concerned, not massively i emphasise, about the image queens has among many fellow parents they speak to of a uni dominated by republican/anti-protestant students who are very happy to assert they're dominance of the uni scene.
I suppose it might only be rumours or exaggerration, and i personally think alot of people my age are not that bothered about politics/religion so hopefully there'd be no problems.
Well, ill find out for myself soon enough and atm im still just delighted that i got into my law degree in the first place :smile:

Unless it's drastically changed since I spent any time in Belfast, it's not like that. Yes, there are Republicans and Nationalists there who are happy to talk about it, but there are just as many Unionists and Loyalists there. Like I said, the majority of RBAI end up going to Queens, and we all know what the students are like at Inst. I've never heard of Queens being a Republican pit, certainly.

Nonetheless, you've got to realise, it's a university that respects research, free speech and fosters debate. You're going to meet people who will openly disagree with you, but that doesn't mean they're going to cause you trouble or cause any trouble beyond a heated debate.

Original post by Harbour
You might have to tone down your very public profession of your unionist credentials if u want to avoid the lynch mob at qub if u ever go there!haha
Excellent results, btw :smile:

:p: It's really not that bad. Where do you think many of the Unionist MPs went?
Reply 49
Original post by Hylean
Unless it's drastically changed since I spent any time in Belfast, it's not like that. Yes, there are Republicans and Nationalists there who are happy to talk about it, but there are just as many Unionists and Loyalists there. Like I said, the majority of RBAI end up going to Queens, and we all know what the students are like at Inst. I've never heard of Queens being a Republican pit, certainly.

Nonetheless, you've got to realise, it's a university that respects research, free speech and fosters debate. You're going to meet people who will openly disagree with you, but that doesn't mean they're going to cause you trouble or cause any trouble beyond a heated debate.

:p: It's really not that bad. Where do you think many of the Unionist MPs went?

Im not trying to panic spread or anything but at the same time i have to point out that this anti protestant bias is something i hear crop up time and again. You're right of course that debate about such things can actually be quite refreshing, as long as its good natured!
You're also correct about the alma mater of many unionist politicians, though to be fair those were very different times when they were passing through their uni education and its safe to say the religious composition of qub students has changed drastically in the intervening years.
I note your comment about the atmosphere of debate that uni inevitably fosters and encourages, enabling republican/nationalist students to freely discuss their views on political matters, as they're perfectly entitled to do.
As i do im reminded of a brilliant queens law professor and rising star of the UUP who was assasinated by the IRA on campus as he walked between lectures.
Such freedom of speech and expression, it seems, didn't count if you were an intelligent man capable of articulating a reasonable and persuasive unionist point of view.
Reply 50
Original post by Harbour
I note your comment about the atmosphere of debate that uni inevitably fosters and encourages, enabling republican/nationalist students to freely discuss their views on political matters, as they're perfectly entitled to do. As i do im reminded of a brilliant queens law professor and rising star of the UUP who was assasinated by the IRA on campus as he walked between lectures.
Such freedom of speech and expression, it seems, didn't count if you were an intelligent man capable of articulating a reasonable and persuasive unionist point of view.

Now, stop right there. Drawing connections between the religious make-up of Queens and the murder (not assassination) of a UUP lecturer is out of line. Especially when the murder happened in the early 80s. Do you really want to start throwing accusations like that around, because I doubt the Loyalists have clean hands either.

As I've pointed out repeatedly, I've never ever heard of this reputation you claim Queens has. Inst and Methody send the majority of their students there, as do most protestant-based schools in NI. As do most catholic-based schools. If there was such an issue with Queens, I highly doubt it would enjoy such popularity with the protestant population. I know people from the Shankill and Sandy Row that go there.

Original post by Harbour
Im not trying to panic spread or anything but at the same time i have to point out that this anti protestant bias is something i hear crop up time and again. You're right of course that debate about such things can actually be quite refreshing, as long as its good natured!

And I have to point out, that I've never heard of it, not even from people I know were in loyalist paramilitary groups. You're not spreading panic, but you're painting Queens in an unfounded light.

Original post by Harbour
You're also correct about the alma mater of many unionist politicians, though to be fair those were very different times when they were passing through their uni education and its safe to say the religious composition of qub students has changed drastically in the intervening years.

Yea, catholics have the chance to go to university now, so of course the religious make-up in Queens has changed drastically over the years (as for the lecturer, he was killed in a time when few catholics would've been at Queens). Most Unionists and Loyalists send their kids to Queens. It's NI's biggest and best university and has a good reputation. The make-up will be closer to 50/50, but given the fact there are more protestants in our country, I would imagine that the protestants still hold sway.

Seriously, your point about protestants, by which you mean Loyalists or Unionists, needing to keep their opinions to themselves is rumour-mongering. Moreover, it's creating an "us vs them" idea in the minds of prospective students, which really isn't going to help NI sort its **** out. Again, with all my protestant friends in Queens, there has never been a word of complaint about Republicans or Nationalists or how they have acted. That includes from my brother, my old school mates, my friends, my cousins. Not a single word. It's all just paranoia and the old sectarian divides raising their head again, trying to keep the students apart.
Reply 51
Original post by Hylean
Now, stop right there. Drawing connections between the religious make-up of Queens and the murder (not assassination) of a UUP lecturer is out of line. Especially when the murder happened in the early 80s. Do you really want to start throwing accusations like that around, because I doubt the Loyalists have clean hands either.

As I've pointed out repeatedly, I've never ever heard of this reputation you claim Queens has. Inst and Methody send the majority of their students there, as do most protestant-based schools in NI. As do most catholic-based schools. If there was such an issue with Queens, I highly doubt it would enjoy such popularity with the protestant population. I know people from the Shankill and Sandy Row that go there.

And I have to point out, that I've never heard of it, not even from people I know were in loyalist paramilitary groups. You're not spreading panic, but you're painting Queens in an unfounded light.

Yea, catholics have the chance to go to university now, so of course the religious make-up in Queens has changed drastically over the years (as for the lecturer, he was killed in a time when few catholics would've been at Queens). Most Unionists and Loyalists send their kids to Queens. It's NI's biggest and best university and has a good reputation. The make-up will be closer to 50/50, but given the fact there are more protestants in our country, I would imagine that the protestants still hold sway.

Seriously, your point about protestants, by which you mean Loyalists or Unionists, needing to keep their opinions to themselves is rumour-mongering. Moreover, it's creating an "us vs them" idea in the minds of prospective students, which really isn't going to help NI sort its **** out. Again, with all my protestant friends in Queens, there has never been a word of complaint about Republicans or Nationalists or how they have acted. That includes from my brother, my old school mates, my friends, my cousins. Not a single word. It's all just paranoia and the old sectarian divides raising their head again, trying to keep the students apart.

You misunderstand me.I was not trying to make a connexion between students of queens and the incident i referred to-that was not my intention at all. I was merely highlighting an incident from the troubles which demonstrates quite clearly how the republican movement used to deal with political opponents-by brutally putting them to death- compared with their buddies in the modern sinn fein who emphasise the principles of democracy, equality and peaceful change of the status-quo. This smacks of hypocrisy to me and i just had to point this out so that the supporters of SF(many of them queens students) could be reminded of how its politicians continue to justify and glorify the actions of the IRA during the 'armed struggle' and see it for the blatant hypocrisy it is.

I just felt that using a troubles related example which occurred to a QUB law lecturer would make the point more succinct since this thread is, after all, concerned with Queens uni! Essentially, im just saying it riles me to hear republicans invoke fundamental democratic principles such as freedom of speech and expresion considering how the republican movement not so long ago denied these very basic rights to those they considered a threat.

Of course two wrongs don't make a right and NI will only make progress by looking forward into the future and not constantly bickering abou the past. It is of course a good thing that SF are now a purely political movement which has renounced violence for good and are committed to achieving their goals by peaceful, democratic means. Sorry you thought I was in some way blaming the catholic students of Queen's for the murder of a uni lecturer.I wasn't.

I dont't think it's unatural btw that QUB has become an area of inflated catholic representation- the fact is catholic schools, both grammar and secondary, tend to achieve significantly betterexam results than their state counterparts.Inevitably, more catholics (and therefore nationalists) enter higher ed than protestant students, resulting in the discrepancy.

And most importantly of all, Im glad from your experinece anyway sectarianism wasn't a big factor during your student days. Hope mine is the same!
Reply 52

You sure?

?? I live in NI ??

Was for girl who was thinking of missing welcome week cos difficult to get to NI
Reply 53
haha this has all put me off a bit, i didn't realise there would be any problems there at all!
Reply 54
Original post by sclez1
haha this has all put me off a bit, i didn't realise there would be any problems there at all!

There isn't - but as usual, there is always one who tries to dredge up the past and ruin it for everyone. Studying at Queens is not about Religion, belief systems, or anything like that. It is a chance to make new friends, have a brilliant student life and get the degree that you need, as well as having the time of your life. So disregard anything that Harbour has said. The Troubles were the troubles, they ended nearly fifteen years ago, and sure there have been some attempts to draw them back into dominant culture, but those attempts have been slashed by the 99.9% of peaceful people in our population - they being both Protestant and Catholic, Unionist and Nationalist.

Seriously, don't let all this talk of what happened 30 years ago put you off coming here - we have a fabulous little country, fabulous University, and it should be shared by the people who have worked hard to get a place there!!
Reply 55
Original post by sclez1

Aww seriously, don't be put off! It's a great wee place, and I'm sure you'll love it! Of course, there'll be people who are set in their ways, and those who seem to look back to the past 30 years, but as the poster before me has mentioned, there's always some who want to ruin it for the overwhelming majority!
Was for girl who was thinking of missing welcome week cos difficult to get to NI

yeah thought you just got the wrong person
Reply 57
Going to Queens University Belfast from Plymouth England - wheres everyone else coming from?

PS Theres a QUB Weekenders group on Facebook!

Hey, I'm actually from Torquay so just round the corner (ish), what you studying??
naw ye should have no prob talking about religion with the vast majority of queens students like it can all b took as a bit af banter :smile:
btw ive never seen tayto crisps in my life before in ni lol i always just c them when im in the republic
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Tyrone_Lad18
naw ye should have no prob talking about religion with the vast majority of queens students like it can all b took as a bit af banter :smile:
btw ive never seen tayto crisps in my life before in ni lol i always just c them when im in the republic

What kind of Northern Irishman are you?! Or, are you under the age of 6? How have you never seen these anywhere in NI before?!

They're utterly different to the southern ones as well.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply