The Student Room Group

What can I do with these A-Levels? Career-wise?

Hi there.

I am starting sixth form tomorrow and will be undertaking A-Levels in:

AS English Literature,
AS Law,
AS Drama and Theatre Studies, and
AS Business Studies.

For my A2s, I am thinking about doing:

A2 English Literature,
A2 Law, and
A2 Business Studies.

However, I am now thinking about dropping English Lit at the end of the year and carrying on with Drama at A2. I love both English and Drama a lot, and would love to have an A-Level in Drama, but I know that universities do not look up to it highly as it is considered a "soft" subject. Business Studies is not as soft as Drama I know, but I'm probably going to do it in my A2.

Career-wise, I would like to become a police officer, work for the secret service (I know I shouldn't tell people I want to become an agent but yeah), government related job. Either become a teacher in English or Drama, or Law, or become a barrister after I graduate and if I do a Law degree.

As of now, I am stuck with either having an English Literature degree (though I prefer English Language so much more, I'm happy doing English Literature), or a Law degree. I'd like to work as an officer (police force), or become a barrister, lawyer or solicitor, though there is hardly anything different between the three. A lawyer is a lawyer, right?

Please give me your suggestions as I'd really appreciate your help.

Thank you.

P.S

Also, would I be able to get into a top university if I achieve exceptional grades, like As and A*s? Thanks again.
masterwayne10
there is hardly anything different between the three. A lawyer is a lawyer, right?

masterwayne10

Also, would I be able to get into a top university if I achieve exceptional grades, like As and A*s? Thanks again.

it may be more difficult with your a levels - two of which are generally recognized as soft - but they shouldn't stop you if your application is strong in every other respect.

as for your question on which degree to do - you can become a solicitor (or a barrister, but it is a lot harder for barrister - more academic) without a law degree. so if you want that career but aren't particularly interested in the law degree in itself, take the english degree. that would also leave you open to teaching english - and law, as you can teach a second subject with only an a level in it.

you don't need a degree to get into the police force, though i don't believe they're recruiting right now with the cuts.
TimmonaPortella

it may be more difficult with your a levels - two of which are generally recognized as soft - but they shouldn't stop you if your application is strong in every other respect.

as for your question on which degree to do - you can become a solicitor (or a barrister, but it is a lot harder for barrister - more academic) without a law degree. so if you want that career but aren't particularly interested in the law degree in itself, take the english degree. that would also leave you open to teaching english - and law, as you can teach a second subject with only an a level in it.

you don't need a degree to get into the police force, though i don't believe they're recruiting right now with the cuts.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

I might consider a Law degree because I would quite like to become a barrister, I wouldn't mind doing that as a living. Being involved in court cases and all that, it's hard work, but if I'm good at it and like the subject, then why not, hey?

With English, again, same sort of the thing really. I might also consider this as it would be Law or English and as you have said, true, if I do become a teacher, I could teach either Law or English or teach a bit of both.

Latest