The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

If things such as shelves being to close together, and a campus being to green worry you, I seriously doubt you'll fall in love with any U.K university.

Nottingham has, without question, the prettiest campus I know but, things such as 'how attractive the Portland building is' really shouldn't be a decisive factor in choosing where to study for the next three to four years.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
HEDM22
I've heard 'gun capital of the UK' and 'Shottingham' said before. Based on the rumours it's not somewhere I'd like to live!! Unfortunately, I don't think Nottingham are ever going to be able to lift that stereotype. There are a ton of better cities I'd rather go to in the UK tbh. x

I really don't think Nottingham is any worse for crime than anywhere else in the UK. My sister's said she won't go to Nottingham to visit me because she'll get shot :rolleyes: but she's happy to go clubbing in Sheffield in places where stabbings seem like a regular occurrence...

As long as you're sensible (not walking through dangerous areas alone at night, locking your doors and windows before you go out...) you should be fine wherever you go.
Reply 42
I don't understand why people who has never been in Nottingham are posting in this thread.
I mean, you obviously have no first hand experience on the city yet you are willing to go on yabbing about stupid rumours.

Fair enough, if you have been shot.
Reply 43
People need to realise that while the stab proof vest is a bit annoying for the first couple weeks, once you realise all your friends are wearing them it's really no longer an issue.
cunningstunt87
How do you nearly get mugged? Did they pull out a knife and you showed them a display of Chuck Norris style fighting moves? Did someone just look at you a bit funny? Get asked "have you got a fag mate"?

not quite, when we were coming out of the shop, a group of people were coming in, and one of them decided to headbutt my friend in the nose (not that hard), and then half started on him, then a few of his friends were like 'leave it man, leave it', so they walked off.

my friend was fine but that one experience has pretty much put me off the whole uni. that and its terrible accommodation (as I already mentioned)
M|chael
not quite, when we were coming out of the shop, a group of people were coming in, and one of them decided to headbutt my friend in the nose (not that hard), and then half started on him, then a few of his friends were like 'leave it man, leave it', so they walked off.

my friend was fine but that one experience has pretty much put me off the whole uni. that and its terrible accommodation (as I already mentioned)

Fair enough mate, just sounds like some kids acting up. That sort of stuff happens everywhere though and could have happened in any city in the country to be fair. Don't let a couple of muppets put you off a uni though.
I agree with the OP about the accommodation - the UP halls were shockingly bad compared to the ones I've seen in other unis. Did you see Broadgate Park? It's not on campus but it might as well be because it is so close (literally across the road). It's quite modern and much nicer looking than the on campus accommodation and was what I went for :smile:
M|chael

I fail to believe that you were attacked for no reason. If they wanted to mug you, they would pull a knife or something on you

You probably just looked at them the wrong way. They're scum don't worry about it:wink:
Nottingham really isn't as violent as people make out. As long as you don't wander into really bad areas, which you'd have no need to, and don't go looking for trouble you would have no problem.

As for the campus, it might look a bit green at the moment because not many flowers flower at this time of year, but in Spring/Summer it's beautiful, especially around the lake, with the ducklings and cygnets and goslings too. I don't know why anyone would hate the campus if they've seen all of it, it was by far the best I saw when I was going to open days. Maybe you only saw the science half?

As for accommodation, some halls are better than others, as will be the case in most universities. I was in Florence Boot and it was the best I had seen - clean, decent sized rooms and a generally nice feel to the place. The new bit of Broadgate is also amazing but there is an older bit which is still fine, but not so great.

Nottingham itself is a fab place to go to uni. The campus is close enough that town is only ten mins away on the bus, but the green campus makes it still feel like you're in the countryside sometimes. Once in town there's a huge mix of shops, bars and clubs to suit everyone but it's still a small enough city centre to not feel overwhelming and after a few visits you'll know your way around easily.

And why are people put off by walking? I'd rather walk the way from halls to dept buildings, either across the Downs or up from Broadgate, than through city streets. It's good exercise, and really doesn't take that long. Remember you won't be walking all day, every day like you do on open days.
Oh also, walking to the station won't give you a good view of the city but there are some lovely parts of it, don't worry. Wollaton Park is worth a visit on a nice day :smile:
Reply 50
M|chael
Didn't like it at all,

-I talked to some of the admission tutors and it was like they were trying to deter you from taking the course rather than encouraging you (especially medicine).

-Id rather sleep in a bin than there accommodation. The ones near the engineering collage/med school (green ones) were horrible.

-We walked from jubilee back to the train station and I couldn't have a worse impression of the city. A lot of it is run down, industrial prison looking buildings and we nearly got mugged coming out of a corner shop.

However, before we left, I went with my friend to see computer science since he wants to do that course. The professor giving the lectures seemed really enthusiastic, everyone was really friendly, and the location and architecture was beautiful over on that side. I was really impressed with that anyway.

But on the whole, no..
Unless ofcouse I got an offer for medicine (which I probably wont)

I can understand what you say about the area around Jubilee campus, I live not too far away and it's not the best place on earth, but still as others have said it's only 33 weeks, and it's no different from any city in that respect.

The city itself, I've found since moving here 2 and a bit weeks ago, is wonderful- the locals are generally a very friendly bunch and everything is walkable. If the shuddering thought of walking somehwere puts you off, then take a bus for a quid sixty into town, or if you're off campus walk up to Hyson Green and get a tram.

The university does like to go on about how great it is, but they're selling it. So far, it has really impressed me, I couldn't have asked for somewhere better. Only downside is living in Radford : )

Latest

Trending

Trending