The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i can wear them, but find them uncomfortable after a while. i think my feet might be too narrow, with the height of the heel my feet are pushed to the end of the shoe and that's where it hurts the most.

yeah they hurt, yeah they can cause physical damage, but they look so much better on a night out than flats, especially cuz im so short! plus they make your legs look more toned. worth the pain!
Ilora-Danon
I can't wear high heels. I have hypermobile joints and my ankles aren't supportive enough to keep me up, so I fall a lot. And I have flat feet which somehow means I can't get court shoes to stay on my feet - no matter how small they are, they fall off my feet.

So, I tend to stick to platform heels with ankle straps or gladiator style that can't come off lol.

How odd, this is the same with me but I have very high arches! I can't even wear ballet flats without straps as I fall out of them :s-smilie:
Reply 22
Milly.x
I'm 5"11, if i wore heels, you'd have to walk on stilts to look me in the eye.

and

LouLou92
'm a bit lanky anyway, my legs are very long and I feel like a giraffe when I wear them, especially after a few drinks! So I tend to stick to flats, unless it's a big night out and I really want to wear heels.

This. Right there is why I never wear high heels. Unless everyone else I'm with at the time is wearing even higher heels, all I have to do is put a 3 inch heel on and I feel like an incredibly tall and lanky giraffe and it makes me very self conscious and awkward. I see other girls who are a similar shape to me wearing them (the massive heels that are popular these days) on nights out and I think they look stupid.

As to 'are there people who can't wear high heels'? Yea, my mum can't wear them, she doesn't have the balance going for it at all and it hurts her back.
Reply 23
Well its kinda obvious that if you have an injured leg/s you'll find them more difficult. I find that at the moment I find heels cause me pains in the shin from muscle weakness in that area, but wedges are very comfortable as the weight is more distributed. I can't wait to be able to wear heels again :biggrin: I reckon heels could basically be considered physio for me atm seeing as I have to do calf rasies as part of my physio anyway. Yay! Heels are healthy!
pippa90
How odd, this is the same with me but I have very high arches! I can't even wear ballet flats without straps as I fall out of them :s-smilie:
Yeah same here, they just fall off my feet. Every shoe I have has to have a strap of some sort - Mary Janes are the only thing that work for me in ballet flats.
I'm not a big fan of heels, last time I wore them was a disaster, it was part of my costume and I kept falling off the tiny stage in rehearsals. Made for an interesting exit as well, since the wings were tiny, and that's no joke. I prefer comfort, and if I can find comfy shoes that look good then I'm very happy. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Hmmm, well, I think high heeled shoes are so pretty, and I'd love to wear them, but it seems like I'm the type of person who just can't :erm:. I just find them hard to walk in for long, and they get so uncomfortable after a while. I even have a couple of those wedge shoes that are so popular right now, and they're apparently supposed to be comfortable, yet I still have the same problem with them :frown:. Seriously, I don't even know how some women do it, I'm so jealous! :sigh:
Reply 27
Eiz
and

This. Right there is why I never wear high heels. Unless everyone else I'm with at the time is wearing even higher heels, all I have to do is put a 3 inch heel on and I feel like an incredibly tall and lanky giraffe and it makes me very self conscious and awkward. I see other girls who are a similar shape to me wearing them (the massive heels that are popular these days) on nights out and I think they look stupid.

As to 'are there people who can't wear high heels'? Yea, my mum can't wear them, she doesn't have the balance going for it at all and it hurts her back.

I feel the exact same! Especially when drunk and willing to dance (only time when I ever dare to haha) I feel awkward, especially as 3 of my friends are quite short. I'm sticking with flats until I maybe find a nice pair of wedges or something that won't murder my feet every time I go out. Last time I wore heels I ended up walking barefoot around Sheffield at 3 in the morning. bad times.
TheSownRose
I don't have any to recommend, unfortunately - I have EEE wide, clumpy feet in size eight and sometimes even nine, so my idea of good shoes are ones that don't resemble flippers too much.

:yep: Wide size 9 here (not sure what width, but wider than average).

Meh, I just can't be bothered. Tried wearing heels for a night out earlier this year... KILLED my feet, and hurt my ankle. :frown: So now I just don't bother... I prefer comfy shoes. :yep:

Besides, even if I did wear heels, I'd only wear a certain type: thick block ones. (Used to have a block heel on my school shoes in year 10/11.) Thing is, even when I DO find heels in my size, they're either reeeallly frumpy, or stripper heels. :rolleyes:
I find them extremely painful, but I am going to try and increase my tolerance for them cos I have too many gorgeous heels that have never been worn :frown:
men
Reply 31
I've always thought I've had quite a knack for wearing high heels like it just comes naturally ever since I was like 3 tottering round in some cheap plastic ones lol. I struggle with flat shoes to walk in yet sometimes me and heels just don't get along.

I have these gorgeous teal peep-toe 4 " heels and I could walk in them fine even do the macarena in them yet wore them to my sixth form's awards evening and I could hardly stand up in them I was shaking so much yet after it was over I was fine again so I dunno if its natural or practice.
I can, but they make my feet ache SO BADLY. All kinds, this is. Skyscraper heels, wedges, mid heels... Actually I have one pair of fairly small wedges that don't make my feet die, or wouldn't if they didn't rub like hell :p: I think I'm an unlucky one though.
I can wear heels but only if they're a bit high....I'm used to wearing flat shoes.
I think how you cope with them plays a big part, and how long you've been wearing them for (like since school or whatever). But I also think your actual foot plays a part and your ankle too. I have slim feet and a thin ankle and have always had problems with my feet since I was little. I can handle heels with a little bit of a heel, but higher ones send my foot forwards so they slip off at the back. It makes me so mad as I love the way heels look, but at the end of the day I would rather have comfy shoes than those that look amaaaazing but kill my poorly feet.
Reply 35
XxFilthyGorgeousxX
But I also think your actual foot plays a part and your ankle too. I have slim feet and a thin ankle and have always had problems with my feet since I was little. I can handle heels with a little bit of a heel, but higher ones send my foot forwards so they slip off at the back. It makes me so mad as I love the way heels look, but at the end of the day I would rather have comfy shoes than those that look amaaaazing but kill my poorly feet.

I read an article once that did suggest that how your feet look naturally when you stick them out in front of you when sitting down tells you what sort of heel is right for your foot. I'll have to see if I can find it online. There's like some mathmatical equation involved. Strange but could be true.
ghostgirl
I read an article once that did suggest that how your feet look naturally when you stick them out in front of you when sitting down tells you what sort of heel is right for your foot. I'll have to see if I can find it online. There's like some mathmatical equation involved. Strange but could be true.

wow, that's quite cool, might try googling it and see if i can find it! :smile:
Reply 37
Hypermobile, knees are ****** already; don't need heels helping me out on this one and I have big/wide feet.

So I stay very clear of heels :yep:
Yet when I go out I always feel inferior 'cause i'm wearing flats... oh well!
Reply 38
There's plenty of people who have genuine reasons why they don't wear them, besides discomfort and finding them unattractive, so don't worry!

I have to wear orthotics in my shoes which would be near impossible to wear with high heels..just as well I have a thing for awesome boots and pretty hi-top trainers. Besides, being super-tall and wearing heels would probably give me vertigo, so just as well.
I find it very hard to wear them,my feet are really narrow so they don't stay in most of them anyway,plus I have terrible balance at the best of times. It's safer just to wear flats.

Latest