The Student Room Group

Are there people that really cannot wear high heels?

My friend said to me today that anyone can wear high heels if they're willing to put the effort into getting used to them, but I disagree.

I have had several quite serious injuries to one or both ankles. They are shot to pieces now, and turn at awkward (yet painless; just got used to hurting ankles, I suppose) angles, in or out, at random times as I walk along. They're not strong or stable enough to support my body without the rest of my foot on a roughly equal level to them ... so I believe I am one example of someone who actually cannot wear high heels, even if I had all the will in the world.

Is my friend right, or am I?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There will always be exceptions, but I don't know why people wear heels, I find them so uncomfortable. I guess they look nice, but is the discomfort really worth it?
i have personally always been able to walk in heels, however high and unlike my friends don't find stilletto heels a problem. im not sure if this is because i haven't worn flat shoes since i was about 13, due to me being quite short? but i dont remember them ever troubling me even when i first wore them.

if you still want to wear them, try wedges or shoes with a thick heel?
but if i were you i probably wouldn't risk it.. it sounds like youve given them a go and they're simply not for you!
haha
Reply 3
I'm 5"11, if i wore heels, you'd have to walk on stilts to look me in the eye.
Reply 4
I have a couple of knee problems which makes any sort of heel uncomfortable. I am forever in my skate-trainers!
My friends can't seem to understand why I can't wear heels, as much as I'd like too, they just don't work for me.
What would you recommend as an attractive closed shoe? (I can't wear the little open shoes either...)
Reply 5
Milly.x
I'm 5"11, if i wore heels, you'd have to walk on stilts to look me in the eye.

No, I wouldn't - I'd just have to wear heels myself (also 5'11".) :wink:

Anyway, that's preference based on it would make you too tall, not the same physically unable to wear or adapt to them.
Reply 6
supermouse
I have a couple of knee problems which makes any sort of heel uncomfortable. I am forever in my skate-trainers!
My friends can't seem to understand why I can't wear heels, as much as I'd like too, they just don't work for me.
What would you recommend as an attractive closed shoe? (I can't wear the little open shoes either...)

I don't have any to recommend, unfortunately - I have EEE wide, clumpy feet in size eight and sometimes even nine, so my idea of good shoes are ones that don't resemble flippers too much.
They're easier to wear when drunk, I don't know how people go around town shopping in them or to work all day.
Reply 8
Your friend is silly.:indiff:
Reply 9
I know 2 people who can't wear heels. One just because she finds them too uncomfortable. I don't know whether she could get used to the uncomfortableness or not, but she's pretty adamant she couldn't. :dontknow:

I can only wear certain types of heels because my feet are a slightly odd shape (wide at the ball part).

I'd imagine it's not that uncommon.
I can't wear high heels. I have hypermobile joints and my ankles aren't supportive enough to keep me up, so I fall a lot. And I have flat feet which somehow means I can't get court shoes to stay on my feet - no matter how small they are, they fall off my feet.

So, I tend to stick to platform heels with ankle straps or gladiator style that can't come off lol.
Reply 11
My feet are size 12, it's near impossible to find heels that I can fit :frown:
Reply 12
I can wear them..but with great difficulty. I'm a bit lanky anyway, my legs are very long and I feel like a giraffe when I wear them, especially after a few drinks! So I tend to stick to flats, unless it's a big night out and I really want to wear heels.
I can stand in high heels...and thats about it! watching me walk in them is seeing bambi on rollerskates :frown:
Reply 14
I'm unable to wear heels most of the time. I can go up to maybe two/three inches and that's at a push. 1)I'm clumsy enough in flats, I can trip over my own feet on a perfectly flat pavement. 2) I've got quite weak ankles and I go over on them quite easily so add in heels and it's just dangerous and finally 3) I have small feet for my height (I'm 5ft 7 with size 4 feet) so I'm balancing alot of height on a small base.
Reply 15
I can't/don't wear them as I find them too uncomfortable and have stupidly wide feet anyway and so find that they don't look right. This is despite numerous attempts by my bemused friends to 'train' me.
Lol I find them the most uncomfortable shoes ever! I can't walk in them and have NEVER tried on or found a pair that don't hurt so I don't see the point!

Also I saw this thing where this woman on tele was wearing stick thin heels and she completely fell on her face. . . at this car show, cringe!
I can wear them but rarely bother, even though I'm 5ft 2... the way I see it is that being short really isn't that bad, and I enjoy my nights out more when I'm not nursing the balls of my feet
Reply 18
I've never understood why girls wear them anyway, they're associated with any number of health problems.
Reply 19
i cannot wear them AT ALL, not just cause of discomfort but i literally cannot stand up in them! it's caused me a great deal of grief when i see pretty shoes i will never be able to walk in :'( i dont even have any like leg or knee problems i know of! anyone have any solutions? and btw, OP, your friend has no idea what she's talking about.

Latest