The Student Room Group

Physio application for 2011 to do list

Hi everyone, I'm Gaby and I'm new to TSR, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place..
Basically I am looking to apply to uni for Physio for 2011 start..I just wanted some help on where to start.. I know there is obviously the personal statement..however, I know I need to do this soon but I was looking to achieve a few things before I sent it off, for example, a little bit more work experience and I am looking to do some voluntary work in my area. Is it worth doing this before I write it? :confused:
I have managed to do 100 hours of work exp. but this was in a nursery so I don't know how impressive they will find it. I am soon to be doing 3 days in the physio department at my local hospital and along with my college course I should get another load of hours done, 1 day a week somewhere else.
I've chosen a few unis so far which I will be visiting and going to open days etc to fully make my choice..my grades should be right on target also..
Sorry for the long winded post.. but if anyone has any suggestions as to what else I should be focusing on, it should be much appreciated..

Gaby.
Reply 1
That all sounds good, I'd agree about not leaving the application too long, but if you can get the three days experience in before you do the PS and still get the paplication in by the end of October or soon after then that sounds excellent. What areas will you see? If there's any that you won't see then I'd say read up about them.

Other than that, think about what skills you bring to the job - what skills do physios need and how do you meet them?

You could maybe research how there's a move towards more physio in the community and why.
Reply 2
Thankyou Iainmacn :smile: I think the lady said in patients and out patients would be some of the areas if I'm not mistaken. Is it worth mentioning things I am going to do throughout this year before uni even if I have not yet done them? For example, I did introductory level BSL (british sign language) and I wanted to carry on and do Level 1 this year. This is very helpful as there is usually a shortage of interpreters at most healthcare places.
I feel like I didn't achieve a lot of relevant things last year because I was non-stop college, work, work experience, driving lessons etc. I worked every evening and sundays and my college is far away so its an hour train there and back. So in general I would have liked to do things like joining a sport team, voluntary work etc. but genuinelly had no time. Is this a setback? Or is it worth mentioning that these experiences improved my task handling and time management etc?

Sorry again for the billion questions! Thanks so much for your help!
Reply 3
Community is lso about visiting people in their homes, so a sort of inbetween hospital and fully well. It's particulalt useful for those who aren't ill enough to be in hospital but still aren't fully recovered.

In-patients covers lots of stuff - and quite often (I help out with interviews at St George's) people haven't seen much of this. It's very broad but your basics are neuro and respiratory, if you can get some orthopaedics as well then all to the good.

BSL is definitely worth mentioning. Sports can be good to demonstrate that you're a team player etc but you can show that in other ways, it's by no means essential.
Reply 4
Ok brilliant..thankyou. As you've helped out with interviews, what would you say most impresses you from physio applicants?
Also, is being bilingual worth mentioning?
Reply 5
Don't think I'd make a huge deal of being bi-lingual, although it can be useful if you're in an area with a lot of a population who speak your other language but don't speak English.

What impresses me? Well - we have to score people to fairly strict criteria but tbh it's probably someone who sounds genuinely interested rather than just regurgiating stuff with no real understanding. Someone who maybe starts to link ideas together. I wouldn't expect too much at that stage but maybe a bit of a realisation that it's important to try to prevent hospital admissions and/or get people back into the community. Dig out something like "Our Health, Our Care, Our Say" and have a bit of a skim through the main points :smile:

Latest