The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ciara
What the... I am so damn jealous of you lot! I'm getting £100 per month!! And that's after much negotiation. What is all this money going on? Are your parents really just paying for you to go out every night?

Lol, I'm in shock here!

Cxx

dont worry im worse off my mum is putting £1000 in my account and she hasnt given me any indication of how to spend it....so i rekon its some sort of test to see how responisble i am with money and how long i can make it last :frown: , i know im going to spend it all on clothes on the first weekend
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 41
ciara
What the... I am so damn jealous of you lot! I'm getting £100 per month!! And that's after much negotiation. What is all this money going on? Are your parents really just paying for you to go out every night?

Lol, I'm in shock here!

Cxx

Lunches, about £3 per day
Social, about £20 per week (I like my cinema :biggrin: , and then one night out I guess)
Insurance
Clothes - £100 per term or something (e.g. pair trousers and a shirt)
Transport to and from uni - £30 per term
Weekly transport - £whatever
Saturday and Sunday dinner
etc etc

It all adds up. It depends upon what you count as what you spend you allowance on. E.g just going out I wouldn't have a massive allowance, but if you count everything up, I doubt that I'd spend more than very many people. To be honest - it does seem to be a huge amount of money still.

And as I say, my Dad wants me to write down what I spend my money on so he can see that I'm not going out every night.
Reply 42
And I was hoping everyone would be playing skint student with me :rolleyes: ..

Cmon, it'll be fun! I've got bags we can use as clothes! Anyone..?

Cxx
Reply 43
ciara
And I was hoping everyone would be playing skint student with me :rolleyes: ..

Cmon, it'll be fun! I've got bags we can use as clothes! Anyone..?

Cxx

black bin bags or asda bags sown together

maybe for the christmas ball we can splash out and make a two piece out of those saisburys "bags for life"
Reply 44
I shall be playing skint student with you! Although I will hopefully get a job in order to have a bit more cash in hand.
Reply 45
I feel terrible for posting this, but I don't have a budget yet. I hate money but that's probably because I'm lucky enough not to need to plan. :/
I get £160/month from the parents, plus I have £3,000 saved.. Plus the loan..
OH MY GOD why on earth are you complaining about the 'meagre' amounts your parents are giving you? They don't have to give you anything! Feel lucky with what you have!!!
Reply 47
_Ellie
I feel terrible for posting this, but I don't have a budget yet. I hate money but that's probably because I'm lucky enough not to need to plan. :/
I get £160/month from the parents, plus I have £3,000 saved.. Plus the loan..

Ellie I'm sure you'll be fine. I have £700 saved, and parents giving £400 a month (and I get basic loan only) so we kind of work out the same :smile:

In fact, you are better off than me, because I need to pay the £1600 up front i n the first month, and parents are only giving me the £400 monthly so I may be a couple of months poor, but come home at christmas richer... (good one lol)
Reply 48
Oh btw, I'm not just saying you'll be fine cause "if I cope with it you will" - spent a while working out I'd be pretty well off compared to others......
Reply 49
DivineComedy
OH MY GOD why on earth are you complaining about the 'meagre' amounts your parents are giving you? They don't have to give you anything! Feel lucky with what you have!!!

Huh? Was anyone complaining?

I'm just a little shocked at the freshers week thread. I can't imagine how I'd spend £100 or £200 in a week.

(Having said that I have had a few nights where I've spent £40 getting totally trollied, so a few of them would add up.)
Reply 50
Steveee
Huh? Was anyone complaining?

I'm just a little shocked at the freshers week thread. I can't imagine how I'd spend £100 or £200 in a week.

(Having said that I have had a few nights where I've spent £40 getting totally trollied, so a few of them would add up.)

He he! When i did my first degree at King's in London i would go through £50 on an average night out on the town and £100 if it was a special night out!(usually involved my bloke mates dragging me along to spearmint rhino!)

I reckon that i spent so much because i was in London and worked my ass off to get a first in my degree so i liked to treat myself with the champagne cockatils in cafe de paris!
Reply 51
lauraloo
He he! When i did my first degree at King's in London i would go through £50 on an average night out on the town and £100 if it was a special night out!(usually involved my bloke mates dragging me along to spearmint rhino!)

I reckon that i spent so much because i was in London and worked my ass off to get a first in my degree so i liked to treat myself with the champagne cockatils in cafe de paris!

Yes cocktails do generally add a lot to the night's bill... as do Gentlemen's Clubs. :rolleyes:
Reply 52
I worked out i could afford 24 pints of stella a night in wills bar if i only spend my money on booze.

This is what happens when u sell your soul to a tractor and work 70 hours a week for 5 months :biggrin:

On the other hand i might just be sensible :frown:

My mate said he spent £10,000 including accom. and tuition fees at Oxford for his first year, which sounds a reasonable sum to me.
Reply 53
£10000? No way!

£1100 fees + roughly £3500 rent and food (shorter terms) = £4600

thus he spent £5400 on "other stuff". That must include keeping a harem and going yachting of a weekend.
I am not catered and only have my wage to live off, which equals 50 quid a week inc food. Oops.
Reply 55
Steveee
£10000? No way!

£1100 fees + roughly £3500 rent and food (shorter terms) = £4600

thus he spent £5400 on "other stuff". That must include keeping a harem and going yachting of a weekend.

Im not sure how he managed it either, he does row tho, so probably another £1000 in that.

Not sure about the rest. £4000 in 30 weeks. £133 a week, so £10/night drinking, plus food. hmmmmm.

How on earth did he spend that much :eek:???
Reply 56
I just had a thought: £10 a night drinking? That's about five pints? Five pints, currently, gets me ****ed.
Five pints does nothing to me, help! I am impoverished!
Reply 58
Steveee
I just had a thought: £10 a night drinking? That's about five pints? Five pints, currently, gets me ****ed.

Young man, you will learn the way soon.

Gap years:
From 3 pints to 9 for a night out, in 3 easy steps:

1) No exercise
2) Too much drinking
3) Advanced anti-drunkeness techniques (drinking water :biggrin:)

Once I start exercising again I shall be back down to 5 I should think (/hope) :smile:
Reply 59
if your unfit, you can take more beer?

news to me, interesting theory though. :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending