The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

What is your allowance? (catered people)

Sorry if it's a slightly personal question, but how much money are your parents giving you per month while you're at Bristol? We don't need food so don't need that much, but my parents' final offer seems pretty low. Will def def be getting a job if I want to have a life at all! Just wanted to do a little survey...

Cxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
£120 or £140 a month. Which works out at either £30 or £35 a week.

Considering all the food is paid for, then i think thats pretty good.

I don't know what my expenses at bristol will be yet though, whether or not i pay bus fares, how often i buy lunch. Will make a big difference to how much money i will have left. So its a bit variable.

I want a job though, i think i will need one if i want to go out often.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
are you guys getting this allowance aswell as a loan and overdraft or instead of??
Reply 3
dannyp85
are you guys getting this allowance aswell as a loan and overdraft or instead of??

I'm giving my dad my entire loan to help pay for my accommodation and tuition fees, so I'll have my own savings and whatever allowance my parents will give me.

Cxx
Reply 4
I'm going to be on about 80-90 a week. But i'm not going to be spending it all. I have no parents to contribute, so this is just what the government give me and some of my savings.
Reply 5
ciara
Sorry if it's a slightly personal question, but how much money are your parents giving you per month while you're at Bristol? We don't need food so don't need that much, but my parents' final offer seems pretty low. Will def def be getting a job if I want to have a life at all! Just wanted to do a little survey...

Cxx

My mum is paying any transport I may need but everything else I will pay for so technically no money is going to be handed over to me in the form of an allowance. Oh, and my loan is £600 less than my accommodation cost so a job is pretty essential especially as I am still paying for my car :rolleyes: (never buy a brand new car :eek: ) The car insurance and tax I've just had to pay didn't exactly help my financial situation either.
I can't believe your parents still give you an allowance!
Reply 7
Ive been working my ass off on my gap year so have lots of money (and no social life), so worked out i could drink up to 7 pints a night at £2.50 a go.

On the other hand, i think i'll spend maybe £75 a week max.
Reply 8
i'm living off my loan which works out at about £120
Reply 9
My parents are paying for my fees and accomodation cost (including food because it's catered), and my loan is paying for everything else. It works out to about £60 per week. I've got savings from my old job but am going to try and leave them alone for the time being.
Reply 10
No money for me! My parents stopped giving me an allowance a long time ago! I will be living on my many credit cards (capital one, mint and Egg are current cards of choice), a part-time job and possibly giving sexual favours for cash! :eek:
im getting £100 month..which will pay for food as im in self catered. however, they aren't giving me money for accomidation or fees, so i have to pay for that myself. Am going to try and get a job, but im not sure if ill have time doing med.
Anyone know of any strip bars in need of employees?
Reply 13
DivineComedy
Anyone know of any strip bars in need of employees?

Ive had pole dancing lessons! Could actually come in useful for extra cash!
Reply 14
My Dad and I had this discussion last night, and we worked out roughly £90 per week. That's social, food, transport, clothes, presents, haircuts, toiletries etc. and I have to keep a diary of what I spend my money on. He doesn't want my finances to become Van Wilder-esque partaying and not much else.

I was told that you should aim for budgeting £100 per week if you're self catered, but I'm not, so I'm guessing I've got a good deal at only £10 less per week. Well, I've got a good deal anyway as my parents are pretty well off, and I've an Army Bursary.

Oh, and my books are not included in that figure - I'll just buy them and send the bill on to my parents.

I do feel a little silly posting this, as my parents are funding me almost totally, whereas other people do actually have to worry about debt and loans and credit cards and stuff, but I'm sure that there are some people that will find this useful.
Reply 15
My job for this evening is to sit down and go through my finances. I have a vague idea of what's gonna go in and out and when but i just need to get it all clear in my mind. It's quite complicated actually.

I know i'll getting 100 quid a month from my mum, i've been given some money by my grandparents for freshers week and my dad has payed some money in to cover the cost of my accommodation in the first term.

But i do need to sit down and work out the figures exactly.
Reply 16
Steveee
My Dad and I had this discussion last night, and we worked out roughly £90 per week. That's social, food, transport, clothes, presents, haircuts, toiletries etc. and I have to keep a diary of what I spend my money on. He doesn't want my finances to become Van Wilder-esque partaying and not much else.

I was told that you should aim for budgeting £100 per week if you're self catered, but I'm not, so I'm guessing I've got a good deal at only £10 less per week. Well, I've got a good deal anyway as my parents are pretty well off, and I've an Army Bursary.

Oh, and my books are not included in that figure - I'll just buy them and send the bill on to my parents.

I do feel a little silly posting this, as my parents are funding me almost totally, whereas other people do actually have to worry about debt and loans and credit cards and stuff, but I'm sure that there are some people that will find this useful.

You'll send your bills to your parents?!? Thats a bit generous of them.]

If i can't afford my books, I'm allowed them as early xmas presents - fun fun fun!
I've been told to send the bill on to my boyfriends parents, even weirder! How muc are people budgeting for freshers week? I've got 200.
Reply 18
Sian01
You'll send your bills to your parents?!? Thats a bit generous of them.

Their reasoning is that they don't want me to have books in my budget as it'd be tempting to skimp on buying books in favour of beer... So I send the bills for the books to them and I don't fail the course for any reason like not buying the books.

So if anyone's got any spare book receipts for a book that sounds like it's an Engineering book, then you can take a cut of scamming my parents... (kidding).

And, yes they are generous, but if you look at it another way: they've been paying roughly £10,000 a year for school fees and however much to feed me at home, so University is actually less money (roughly £1100 fees + £3500 rent + £3000 living costs = £7600).
Reply 19
Shelbycakes
I've been told to send the bill on to my boyfriends parents, even weirder! How muc are people budgeting for freshers week? I've got 200.

Awh how nice of them!

Yeah about £200 for freshers, maybe a bit more as I'm self-catered - but my parents are giving me £200 a month to pay for food as they seem to think I'll starve othwerise.

Latest

Trending

Trending