The Student Room Group

I thought I knew what I wanted.. now I just don't know anymore!

Hi, sorry for the inevitably confusing post, but I just don't know what the hell I'm doing at the minute!

I'm 30, a mature student currently studying for an Access Diploma in English Literature (with History). Im on track for getting the full 60 credits with the majority at distinction.

I enrolled on this course because I wanted to become a primary school teacher. I had my sights set on applying at Hallam for the Primary Education with QTS degree (I'm a local girl, with a mortgage and kids, so staying nearby is easy for me).

However, now I've completed my first year of my Access course, I really really really really love the English Literature side of it all :biggrin: AAAAAnnnnndddd I really really want to try applying at some better Unis. I still want to become a teacher, I just want to try another way of acheiving this.

I've narrowed my choices down to these:

University of Leeds - English Literature and history
Hallam - Primary Ed
University of Sheffield - English Literature and history
York St John - Primary Ed
and
Hallam - English and history

Now here's what I'm worried about..

First, my personal statement. At the moment I've simply put down some ideas and outlines. i think I've done a good job of combining my love for both subjects, throwing in the fact that once I've completed my English Lit degree I will take a PGCE in Primary Education. I'm still worried about explaining the fact that I've applied for two different courses in interviews etc.

Secondly, I'm worried about getting into a Russell Group uni with an Access course diploma. :frown: I really want to try, and my tutors agree that it's possible for me. I'm not wasting any choices, because I'd only apply for the Primary Education at the two universities anyway... so it is worth a try or is it unnecessary stress? Am i wasting my time and getting my hopes up? Am I getting too excited with the thought of university that I've lost sight of why I was doing this in the first place?

I'm not sure why I'm writing this. I just need someone to tell me what I'm doing is ok! All year I've been so sure of what I want to do, and now it's come down to applying I'm running around like a headless chicken. :woo: This is my one chance - I want to be working by the time my youngest is at full time school. I have to do my best NOW.

Any advice - on the courses, the unis, personal statements, ways i can explain myself and my choice of courses in interviews etc - would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Justine
You sound like you are really on the right track! Be positive and honestly don't worry because you are a lot more focussed than some people I know!

The fact that you've applied for two different courses shouldn't be a problem as long as you manage to express your enthusiasm for both, the only time different courses are a problem is when people apply for anything and everything just because they want to go to Uni and don't know what to study- and this is ISN'T the case with you

If an interview situation arises, just be completely honest and explain that your subject passion lies with English and History but you feel like you want to share and express your passion by teaching others, whatever route you might take!

Hope this helps at least a little bit!
Reply 2
treesaregreenandtall

If an interview situation arises, just be completely honest and explain that your subject passion lies with English and History but you feel like you want to share and express your passion by teaching others, whatever route you might take!

Ahh this helps so much! Thank you x

Half of me knows im worrying about nothing, but the other half is sooo scared I'll **** up :frown:
Reply 3
Bump :biggrin:

xx
Keep up the good work.
Reply 5
Thank you :smile:
jeffercake
Thank you :smile:

yes i can't offer any advice in this matter,but all good luck to you:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending