The Student Room Group

C1 Coordinate geometry help!

So i'm doing this question andned t give the final answer in the form ax+by+c=0.

I have to find the equation of the line joining the pair of points (-4,2) and (-1,-3).

I calcualte the gradient and get it to be -5/3, and then i use the formual y-y1=M(x-x1) to get Y-3= - 5/3(x-(-4)). But then i get stuck and i keep ending up with the wrong asnwer.

the answer should be 5x +3y +14=0.

Any help would be apprecited thanks
Reply 1
hazbaz
So i'm doing this question andned t give the final answer in the form ax+by+c=0.

I have to find the equation of the line joining the pair of points (-4,2) and (-1,-3).

I calcualte the gradient and get it to be -5/3, and then i use the formual y-y1=M(x-x1) to get Y-3= - 5/3(x-(-4)). But then i get stuck and i keep ending up with the wrong asnwer.

"i use the formual y-y1=M(x-x1) to get Y-3= - 5/3(x-(-4))"
This bit is where you went wrong.
It should be either
y-2 = -5/3 (x-(-4))
or
y-(-3) = -5/3 (x-(-1))

:smile:
Reply 2
hazbaz

You are right up to y-y1=M(x-x1)
You have two options for (x1,y1): (-4,2) and (-1,-3)
So how will be from these Y-3 and x-(-4)). THe given point would be (x1,y1)=(4,3)
Try substituting (-1,-3): y+3=-5/3(x+1)
Reply 3
ztibor
You are right up to y-y1=M(x-x1)
You have two options for (x1,y1): (-4,2) and (-1,-3)
So how will be from these Y-3 and x-(-4)). THe given point would be (x1,y1)=(4,3)
Try substituting (-1,-3): y+3=-5/3(x+1)

I worked it out thanks just a stupid mistake on my behalve :P
Reply 4
hazbaz
Find the equation of the line passing through the points (4,2)(-4, 2) and (1,3)(-1, -3).

I will show you the general case and then a very similar question and its solution.

Find the equation of the line passing through two points.

It is paramount that you understand this idea.

Find the equation of the line passing through the points (-5,6) and (-2,-3).

I hope this helps.

Darren
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
they use that so they don't have to work out c as it all comes out
Reply 6
Ye i misttok the -y1 to mean the bottom part of teh graident dont ask me why lol. Once i relaised it was the y coordinate it became easy :smile:

Latest