Results are out! Find what you Get quick advice or join the chat

Unlock these great extras with your FREE membership

  • One-on-one advice about results day and Clearing
  • Free access to our personal statement wizard
  • Customise TSR to suit how you want to use it

Has anyone done GCSE's as a private candidate

Announcements Posted on
Rate your uni — help us build a league table based on real student views 19-08-2015
  1. Offline

    For something so simple as doing an exam, the process is incredibly confused and complicated.

    So far i've gathered that I need...

    1) Find a test centre that accepts private candidates
    2) Find the exams I want to do (of which there is a bewildering choice with each subject)
    3) Fill in the exam entry form and pay the fees
    4) Submit a coursework entry form, and a form with each piece of courseworkto get it marked

    How do I know which courses to choose from the AQA website, there’s hundreds, how do I know which require coursework, which dont, what my coursework needs to contain, what the exam will contain so on and so forth, theres no information what so ever on any of this on AQAs website.
  2. Offline

    There is an answer to this. Do IGCSE. That's International GCSEs. Go to the Edexcel website and find the subject lists.

    These exams have no coursework element. You sit 2 papers, usually days apart and that's it. Make sure you download the specification so you are familiar with the course content and the exam format (set books etc).

    Exam centres that accept private candidates will offer these. They are taken in either November or May/June. They are very similar to the old "O" Level.
  3. Offline

    The advice about taking IGCSEs is good. Since the 'eelction' of the new Government, IGCSEs are available in state schools. This should make it slightly easier to find a broader range of exam centres.

    With regards to the GCSE, it is probably worth finding a centre that will accept you first, then check which exam board they offer. This is because many schools or colleges will only accept you if they are doing the same specification or have an exam running at the same time.

    All the other requirements are listed in the specification, which is available online. For most subjects, Controlled Assessment replaced Coursework in September 2009. You will need to go to your exam centre to do this. I hope this helps. Good luck.


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 18, 2010
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR

Win a mini-fridge

Don't miss our Freshers competition!

Do you prefer exams or coursework?

Looking for some help?

Ask our friendly student community a question

Ask a question now

Or get help from our smart tools and guides

GCSE help A-level help Uni application help Everything else
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.