The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

To all Law Students. Questions!

Hello,

I am starting Law in a few days, at the University of Bristol. I shall be residing in that egalitarian wonder-haven more commonly known as Hiatt Baker.

I wanted to ask a few questions about the whole thing. I am not sure if they have been asked before and if they have, I apologise. Although I did look pretty hard. I am currently working in a job that requires me to only intermittently do anything work-related.

So, I guess the first thing I wanted to know or discover is: does anybody know anything about law? I know nothing. I have read nothing. All I am confident about is if I were to randomly begin knifing my fellow passengers on the train home this evening, that would be frowned upon by the very establishment which, in the act of studying, I should be aiming to join.

I am envisaging arriving into a kind of legally blonde scenario, where everyone around me is well versed in everything and I am well versed in nothing. Except I could not even use hair colour as an excuse, because recently I have dyed it brown. What is one to do when they are no longer able to use the colour of their hair to directly explain their level of intelligence? It's such a valid gauge of intellect, after all.

I don't wish to appear arrogant in saying this but I managed to do alright at school while not exerting myself too hard throughout the year; I am lazy and unorganised but have perfected cramming to a fine art. I'm worried about how consistent this is with achieving a good degree. I know it isn't, at all.

Oh well.

Another thing: has anybody sent off their cheque for the Law Club yet? I have managed to miss all my deadlines so far and I think that whole thing slipped my mind. Also, I am not sure if I am too interested in joining it. I am not sure how keen I am on discovering which social pre-requesites and contact-acquiring abilities are necessary for worming my way into a big city law firm in order to work twenty-five hours of each day with the ultimate aim of earning more money than I will ever have time to spend.

Oh dear, I am sorry for perpetrating such a ridiculous stereotype. My narrow minded ideas mainly stem from a one-day course on studying Law I attended where all the kids had the logos of corporate law firms imprinted on their minds and pound-signs reflected in their eyes. I am generalising and that is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I guess it is just the anxiety which is creeping up on me, in inverse proportion to the lessening number of days before we start. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I am fully aware of how lucky I am to have a place on this course at this uni - especially on deferred entry. But, I don't know. What I just said.

If there are any Hiatt Bakers who want to come to my room and eat toast which says 'I love you', then please don't hesitate to do that.
Reply 1
CHEERS! i m at hiatt baker n doing law too. i din bother wif the ublc n the debate club either, gonna check out everything b4 i join. the money might be better used on other things, no? :wink:

btw, do u play MTG?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Hi,

I'm reading law too. I know a little about law and I've spent time observing the proceedings at the Crown/magistrates' courts but I haven't had any formal tuition in the subject. In fact, for eight years, I've not received formal tuition in any subject, which probably stands me comparatively low on the academia league. My philosophy to deal with this: if I'm rubbish I'll work harder. Simple.

Regarding the law club, I've decided to join simply because I'm patriotic and would like to be involved with, or at least be a member of, the club that is relatable to our faculty. In my view, opportunities to learn the social pre-requisites of the legal profession, or those which may improve one's networking capabilities, may well be advantageous, since the qualities learned (aforementioned) need only be applied where desired - and need not necessarily facilitate the desire to worm one's way into a big city law firm, in order to work twenty-five hours of each day with the ultimate aim of earning more money than one would ever have time to spend.

Finally, I'm not in Hiatt Baker, but I do like toast; so hopefully see you there!
Reply 3
Excellent, you have completely summed up my thoughts at the moment. Don't worry, we could have some kind of universal distress sign in lectures and then we can get help.

against demons
I know nothing. I have read nothing.

:dito:, that's me!

Cxx
Reply 4
against demons
Hello,

I am starting Law in a few days, at the University of Bristol. I shall be residing in that egalitarian wonder-haven more commonly known as Hiatt Baker.

I wanted to ask a few questions about the whole thing. I am not sure if they have been asked before and if they have, I apologise. Although I did look pretty hard. I am currently working in a job that requires me to only intermittently do anything work-related.

So, I guess the first thing I wanted to know or discover is: does anybody know anything about law? I know nothing. I have read nothing. All I am confident about is if I were to randomly begin knifing my fellow passengers on the train home this evening, that would be frowned upon by the very establishment which, in the act of studying, I should be aiming to join.

I am envisaging arriving into a kind of legally blonde scenario, where everyone around me is well versed in everything and I am well versed in nothing. Except I could not even use hair colour as an excuse, because recently I have dyed it brown. What is one to do when they are no longer able to use the colour of their hair to directly explain their level of intelligence? It's such a valid gauge of intellect, after all.

I don't wish to appear arrogant in saying this but I managed to do alright at school while not exerting myself too hard throughout the year; I am lazy and unorganised but have perfected cramming to a fine art. I'm worried about how consistent this is with achieving a good degree. I know it isn't, at all.

Oh well.

Another thing: has anybody sent off their cheque for the Law Club yet? I have managed to miss all my deadlines so far and I think that whole thing slipped my mind. Also, I am not sure if I am too interested in joining it. I am not sure how keen I am on discovering which social pre-requesites and contact-acquiring abilities are necessary for worming my way into a big city law firm in order to work twenty-five hours of each day with the ultimate aim of earning more money than I will ever have time to spend.

Oh dear, I am sorry for perpetrating such a ridiculous stereotype. My narrow minded ideas mainly stem from a one-day course on studying Law I attended where all the kids had the logos of corporate law firms imprinted on their minds and pound-signs reflected in their eyes. I am generalising and that is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I guess it is just the anxiety which is creeping up on me, in inverse proportion to the lessening number of days before we start. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I am fully aware of how lucky I am to have a place on this course at this uni - especially on deferred entry. But, I don't know. What I just said.

If there are any Hiatt Bakers who want to come to my room and eat toast which says 'I love you', then please don't hesitate to do that.

Seconded.

Well, everything apart from the 'toast' bit. (And, perhaps, the hair; although on reflection, that mightn't be such a bad idea.)
Reply 5
yeah dude don't worry, i don't know jack ****... and from what others have said, they don't jack **** too. =)
Reply 6
anyway, just to make u feel better, unis prefer us to b completely noob, somehow, i dunno y. they strongly discourage us from taking law at alevels, n they refused me flatly for the textbook list

Latest

Trending

Trending