The Student Room Group

Do I need to read around my subjects?

I have just started college and my teachers are constantly going on at me about reading around my subjects. I am taking biology, chemistry, maths and further maths. I can see how this might help people get higher grades in other subjects but cant really see how it will help me with mine.

Do I need to read around these subjects? I want to get an A* in all of my subjects and I am wondering if someone could tell me if during their studies people who read around their subjects got higher grades than people who only looked at the specification.

Thanks in advance

Robert
robjones94
I have just started college and my teachers are constantly going on at me about reading around my subjects. I am taking biology, chemistry, maths and further maths. I can see how this might help people get higher grades in other subjects but cant really see how it will help me with mine.

Do I need to read around these subjects? I want to get an A* in all of my subjects and I am wondering if someone could tell me if during their studies people who read around their subjects got higher grades than people who only looked at the specification.

Thanks in advance

Robert

Dont want to sound ignorant but what do you mean by 'reading around subjects'

Also, purely for my own ego: Physics > Biology
Just sayin' :biggrin:
Reply 2
DivinityofReason
Dont want to sound ignorant but what do you mean by 'reading around subjects'

Also, purely for my own ego: Physics > Biology
Just sayin' :biggrin:

They say to read anything to do with the subject but that is not in the specification, like scientific journals and books relating to science.
robjones94
They say to read anything to do with the subject but that is not in the specification, like scientific journals and books relating to science.

I see, it doesnt make sense to me but Im just a student, your teachers probably know better.
I usually like to read a bit more than the specification incase they try to slip something cheeky in. (Which has happened before)
Good luck!
Reply 4
it depends on you really. i never ever 'read around the subject' tho my teachers went on about it..still came out with 3 As. tbh its only if your really pushing for those top A* grades that it would make a difference. you can mostly jus get away with your text book otherwise.

looking at your subjects tho, i dont see how you could read around the subject =S..r u meant to read extra science books or somthing??
robjones94

Thanks in advance

Robert

If reading around means reading more materials than the specifications, than, I would say it is only possible to read extra materials for the subject you are really interested in or you are natural at...
I read a lot of advanced stuff for Physics as I enjoy reading it, but I stay the texts for Maths and Chemistry...
On the other hand my friend, who is very good at and interested in Mathematics, do Maths all day round, and he have covered more topics than Maths and Further Mathematics specifications......

Unless you are interested in all the subjects you will end up studying one subject more than others... I have tried to read extra materials for chemistry, but I always put the chem materials down after 5-10 pages and continue studying physics.....

Latest

Trending

Trending