The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lightburns
Psychology is in neither. *shrugs*

So you do not think that the capability of humans to experience a subjective consciousness; be able to store and recall memories at will; have astonishing motor coordination in music, sport and art; be able to interpret and process light; have a capability to perform complex mathematical problems; experience emotions such as love, fear and loneliness is mind-blowing?

Why the heck are you doing a psychology degree, in the first place?
vitamortis
Because you do not study a Mathematics degree, it is impossible for you to adequately determine whether Mathematics is above Psychology, or not. And as GodspeedGehenna has mentioned, they are completely different subjects, and thus are not comparable. It is ridiculous to attempt to compare them in the first place.

Right, which is the better degree; Physics or Media Studies?
(if they both applied to a job that was unrelated to the course)
lightburns
Right, which is the better degree; Physics or Media Studies?
(if they both applied to a job that was unrelated to the course)

Then they are both on equal terms if they are applying for a job that is not related to them.
moonlight_freakout
I've heard many say that psychology is a mickey mouse degree, but surely if done at an excellent uni like UCL, it would be considered a good subject...?

Who the hell would say that? Of course it isn't.
vitamortis
So you do not think that the capability of humans to experience a subjective consciousness; be able to store and recall memories at will; have astonishing motor coordination in music, sport and art; be able to interpret and process light; have a capability to perform complex mathematical problems; experience emotions such as love, fear and loneliness is mind-blowing?

Why the heck are you doing a psychology degree, in the first place?

You misunderstand me.. Some photos are mind-blowing, but that doesn't make a Photography degree mind-blowing.
Mr Sparkles
It's less mickey mouse than psychology at RHUL, I can tell you that much.

:dontknow: Rhul has one of the best psych departments and cognitive neuroscience labs in the UK.
Reply 26
Ofcourse it isn't! I'm not sure how much the two areas mix, but UCL is ranked 2nd in the world for Neuroscience, that has to say something about their phychology too?
vitamortis
Then they are both on equal terms if they are applying for a job that is not related to them.

You seriously think that someone who has done Golf Course Management is as impressive as someone who has done Mathematics?

There's no point arguing with you about it then :frown:
lightburns
You misunderstand me.. Some photos are mind-blowing, but that doesn't make a Photography degree mind-blowing.

OK
Psychology's ******* easy compared to maths/physics.
vitamortis

media studies is not on equal terms to physics.

journalism is a mere trade, and for a few journos to con their way in to universities to spout nonsense is a national disgrace. i mean there is nothing to journalism, even a student union can produce a newspaper every bit as good as a tabloid.

whereas physics is a well-established university subject.
lightburns
You seriously think that someone who has done Golf Course Management is as impressive as someone who has done Mathematics?

There's no point arguing with you about it then :frown:

But you know nothing of Mathematics or Golf Course Management, so how can you say with such certainty that one is better than the other?

Please, whatever you do, do not enter scientific research with this kind of thinking.
GodspeedGehenna
:dontknow: Rhul has one of the best psych departments and cognitive neuroscience labs in the UK.

These people deserve a slap.
vitamortis
But you know nothing of Mathematics or Golf Course Management, so how can you say with such certainty that one is better than the other?

Please, whatever you do, do not enter scientific research with this kind of thinking.

I don't know with such certainty. More like common sense.... I could be proved wrong. *shrugs*.

One difference is that someone who has a Physics degree could go and do an Anthropology MA without too much difficulty. I doubt someone with an Anthropology degree could do a Physics MSc without previous study!
Not certain. Not definite. But it's an indicator.
lightburns
I don't know with such certainty. More like common sense.... I could be proved wrong. *shrugs*.

One difference is that someone who has a Physics degree could go and do an Anthropology MA without too much difficulty. I doubt someone with an Anthropology degree could do a Physics MSc without previous study!
Not certain. Not definite. But it's an indicator.

OK. Please do not quote, or reply to any of my posts. Good day.
There's no point arguing over something like this. Everyone is right, but it doesn't make a difference.

Psychology isn't a mickey mouse degree, but obviously it's not your maths degree, which is pointless to relate to you as you do not want to do maths. It still opens doors, just not those related to other degrees.
Reply 36
I consider a Mickey Mouse degree to be any degree where it would be more effective to just go directly into the profession instead of getting the degree itself.

Obviously you can be a psychologist w/o a psychology degree.:facepalm:
yoyo462001
Not mickey mouse but certainly not up their with your Maths, Engineering or Economics courses.

Why do economics students try and put their degree up with the maths and engineering ones? Given that economics is a social science, it's somewhat laughable that you are trying to deride psychology, another social science.
Reply 38
no.
Smack
Why do economics students try and put their degree up with the maths and engineering ones? Given that economics is a social science, it's somewhat laughable that you are trying to deride psychology, another social science.

Yeah you got us there :colondollar:

Spoiler

Latest