The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
agolati
Just look at the RIDICULOUS amount of students getting A's for A level with AQA (brought to attention by some random guys rant):
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-STATS-JUNE10.PDF

The average is virtually 31% A*/A nationally. In private schools and grammar schools, it is most likely 50-60% A*/A.
Chemistry is said to be amongst the hardest of subjects, yet almost 50% of all entries get an A. That worries me. Just imagine what the figure is for students who actually 'try' at that subject...it must be around 65-70% who get A's minimum.

A recent study has shown that a C grader in 1980's would get a grade A today. If you can find the source, please throw it over because I can't find it.

I am going to an Ivy League uni in US after getting 4 A's and I feel that I am one of the minority who deserve these grades because I did NO resits. I also had to do some admissions tests to get into this uni, yet there are 'A graders' who have re-sat their way to getting A's without doing any admissions tests who are going to uni's like UCL, Warwick, Durham etc.

How universities SHOULD respond to the grades boom:

1. BAN AS RESITS! I find naturally Mid B students getting mid B's for AS level and transforming these into high A's, meaning they can just be their typical mid B grade self to get a grade A overall. Come on. And it's so easy to get a B grade these days if you study.

2. High A/A* = new grade A The difference between an A and full marks is 120 UCAS points I think, that's bloody huge. They should make a 'high A' or even an A* the new grade A.

3. Exams set at the end of the two years.

4. Make students THINK: Actually make exams less about 'practice makes perfect' and make students actually THINK creatively. We shouldn't be taught 'to' something.

5. Make harder exams...simple i.e higher proportion of 'harder questions' and don't offer marks for things that used to be offered marks i.e a 12 mark essay...4 marks for intro and basic content. Scrap these rewarding marks and expect an intro and basic content.

6. Less time to answer questions in exams. Yeah, even for history students.

7. Stop publication of past-papers. Exam technique shoots virtually anybody into success.

8. IQ/Aptitude tests to apply to universities, kind of like the UKCAT system employed by universities for medical/dental school applicants.
You generally need great aptitude scores to get into top jobs anyways i.e banking, consulting, accounting, law, dent, med, finance etc.
Colleges should not offer any aptitude test help.

9. Make students do MORE A levels. AAA for Oxbridge is a JOKE. They have bunked their entry requirements up to A*AA this year ,but I think they should make it mandatory to do 4-5 A levels MINIMUM.
Typical AAB universities should make it mandatory to get AAAB now. AAB 5-6 years ago is probably the equivalent to 4A's now.

10. Universities should become GCSE nazi's. I am fully defending Birmingham's 7A*+ requirement at GCSE to be an eligible applicant for their med school.

11. Ban scholarships. There's some dude who got ACC 2 years ago who is doing Medicine just because he represents England for some sport. Fair enough if he was very ill or something so couldn't study during his A levels, but ACC being fully fit to the extent that he has 1. enough time to study for his A levels and 2. Fit enough to represent England in sport. Wow, just wow.

12. There should be interviews for more subjects by universities.

Any other you can think of?

Note: These are just mere SUGGESTIONS. You don't have to turn into an examiner + interrogator, scrutinising me.

Doing some of the above will ensure students from Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Imperial etc. are worthy of being Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Imperial etc. students.

You disgust me.

I find naturally Mid B students getting mid B's for AS level and transforming these into high A's, meaning they can just be their typical mid B grade self to get a grade A overall. Come on. And it's so easy to get a B grade these days if you study.

I got ABBB for AS and I'm aiming for A*A*A*. Not doing a single retake. I'm just going to work really hard this year and get to where I want to be. How dare you discredit people who get B's, then transform into an A. It is possible.

Some of what you say may hold some truth but have you seen how ******ng hard it is to get into Uni's these days? 30 years back when my parents went to uni, people were getting into uni (with gov support)for free and with grades such as DDC. There is very little of that now, entry requirements are getting higher all the time.
Reply 41
Gallant92
As someone pointed out that's why the A* has been introduced and it has been a great success as a lot of people easily spitting out top grades had to work harder to get the top grade.
We could introduce a system where uni's look at the total ums score at the end of the two years and scrap the grading system all together

Exactly what I think. When I applied 2 years ago there was no A*, so people getting high 90s/100 in everything were in a massively unfair situation when just putting A on their application form.

I made my teacher put all my individual marks in his reference lol.
More people getting A's either means exams are getting easier or people are more intelligent these days.

Although the latter is possible I would rather suggest making exams more challenging and examine analytical skills rather than memorising info.

That way the best get the best grades and the gifted/hard workers go to Uni. There are far too many graduates for the number of grad jobs. Better that the best go to Uni and the best get degrees. At the moment Joe Bloggs can 'wing it' and do a ****** degree, getting in debt and being unsuitable for the labor force.

There are other ways of gaining skills to be a productive memeber of society .
Reply 43
OP has issues. I've got friends who work like hell and end up with Cs/Ds, yet other people bunk classes and are hardly in school but still come out with As. Not everyone is good at exams, and sometimes they need to do it more than once because they get stressed in exams. A better option would be to only let people retake each paper once.
Just because more people work hard doesn't mean they should be punished or looked down on. Not everyone has perfect grades!
agolati
The average is virtually 31% A*/A nationally
27% to be precise... 14% A* grades. Yes, to be honest I do think it's a joke. For a long time now it's been about how many A grades one gets, getting an A in one subject is not even impressive at all anymore.
Reply 45
Wanischa
You just sound like you are bitter about not getting A*A*A*A*.
Maybe people get lots of A's nowaday doesn't mean that they don't study very hard.

Some people are like me that just do really badly in exam but I do know my stuff.
I work really hard during the year but they never count towards anything.
I just had the most terrible few months near my exam times that threw me off guard and off my deserving grade.

I totally sympathise with you. I have some friends who used to constantly cane me intellectually throughout the year, they were like A* students in homeworks and tests whereas I'm a mid-A student. Yet they ended up with B's for their finals simply because of not psychologically ready/able to deliver their FULL potential in the exam hall and everything rests on it...in that hall. They'd be great at whatever they choose to do in life and it will be good if employers can notice that.

This leads me to another suggestion:

In A level Chemistry and Biology, they have courseworks that are marked by teachers by October and May, and then marked properly by examiners, they should do the same thing throughout for exams.
Set exam conditions in class rooms, and make them to tests throughout the year in the class room environment, with examiners around. Is this too unrealistic?

At least this will stop AS resit students getting away with murder and will show universities who the most consistent ones are.
OP the problem is the vast majority of these points will benefit those who get private education, as their teachers are able to spend more time drilling them through technique and FORCING them to learn, rather than just attempting to help them. A system whereby some people know what technique the examiners are looking for, because of their good teachers, while others don't know to nearly the same level, is not a meritocracy in the slightest.

I speak as someone who had private education, and came out very well because of it--we already have enough advantages, I'd rather more were taken away than more given.

If I could alter exams, I would just say increase the weighting on questions which were introduced last year as 'stretch and challenge' so that they make up the majority of the marks, e.g. you can JUST scrape a B without picking up many of them, but need at least 2/3 of them to get an A. The mark scheme, and past papers, should still be readily available as this prevents there being a 'teacher lottery' in terms of whether you'll learn technique.

Keep in mind that grade boundaries are fairly arbitrarily set--apparently some boards shifted the UMS curve for the very top end quite substantially last year, as something like 15-20% had gotten A*s, so they shifted that down to 8% to give it greater value. Your grades are not absolute, but set where they are for 'political' reasons.

Using a common admissions test similar to the SAT is also possibly a good idea, as it could show the 'underlying' strengths rather than study skills, and so increase the meritocratic side of things.
Reply 47
Why are you moaning?

If your opening post is correct you are going where YOU want to go, so calm down dear?

On a side note, exams are not getting easier in fact they are getting harder. When my uncle looked at my chemistry revision guide last year he realised we were being taught content that he had not touched upon until his degree.

People however are getting higher grades due to improved teaching styles and the modular exam system, which is fairer.

What you forget is your talking from YOUR experience of the exam system. If you had got a C in one of your exams, you would of resit it simple right? So stop moaning.

People who resit their exams have extra workload on top of their other subjects, why punish them for working hard?
Reply 48
Spanishdream
Did you spawn from Margaret Thatcher, the other member on here who thinks they're better than the rest?

I suppose you got plenty of A's at both GCSE and A-level. If these suggestions come into place and they're made A LOT harder than they already are, would you feel the same if you came out of college/sixth form with D's or C's that where the equivalent of your A's currently? I think not.

Students need to have a life. What you're asking is that we're locked in classrooms until it's exam time and then put on the spot in a room to think creatively. How is that possible? It's already a hard process for many, many people. I spent four hours after every day in my final year at sixth form learning French and Spanish vocabulary, grammar etc and I got an A and a B. There was a guy in my French class who never did homework, barely did classwork, wasn't French either but still walked out of that exam like he was a God and achieved an A. How is that fair?

Grades are rising because students care about what they want to do in life. We have a media pressure to do well. A scare factor from Jeremy Kyle not to end up on there.

I saw people who worked so hard, so very hard week in week out achieve a grade D/C in a subject I was convinced they would get an A with their eyes closed.

People like you make me sick.

This. How dare the Op! Wow, people are so pompous it is ridiculous.
Reply 49
I am posting in a troll thread :biggrin:

OP is obviously bitter due to one of the following:
1) A bitter person who achieved 3 A's or more and didn't get into their chosen universities and/or on their desired course.
or
2) Is of an older generation and believes that A levels are a walk in the park and that we should try to work harder....

Actually they could even be a GCSE student who is scared about having to compete with people who are better than them....wake up you're slowing coming into the real world :smile:
Reply 50
agolati
Just look at the RIDICULOUS amount of students getting A's for A level with AQA (brought to attention by some random guys rant):
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-A-LEVEL-STATS-JUNE10.PDF

The average is virtually 31% A*/A nationally. In private schools and grammar schools, it is most likely 50-60% A*/A.
Chemistry is said to be amongst the hardest of subjects, yet almost 50% of all entries get an A. That worries me. Just imagine what the figure is for students who actually 'try' at that subject...it must be around 65-70% who get A's minimum.

A recent study has shown that a C grader in 1980's would get a grade A today. If you can find the source, please throw it over because I can't find it.

I am going to an Ivy League uni in US after getting 4 A's and I feel that I am one of the minority who deserve these grades because I did NO resits. I also had to do some admissions tests to get into this uni, yet there are 'A graders' who have re-sat their way to getting A's without doing any admissions tests who are going to uni's like UCL, Warwick, Durham etc.

How universities SHOULD respond to the grades boom:

Mate youre going to a US Uni you cant even talk. The SAT and SAT IIs are the easiest tests in the world to ace given enough practice time. I know students who were predicted Ds and Cs who nailed 2200+ on their SATs because they paid enough for SAT tuition, theyre now going to top tier American universities after getting A-level results that wouldnt even get them into the most mediocre of British universities.

PS: I applied to the US, I got 2120 on the SAT I and got into all my choices bar Duke, so I do know what im talking about.

Although I do agree with some of your points, the main one being how ridiculously overused resits are.
I think correct usage of apostrophes should be compulsory to progress to A-levels.

I agree that retakes should be limited somehow (someone getting a grade C in C4 in Maths, for example, will be able to get an A easily retaking it at the end of year 13 and these modules carry the same weight!). However, a lot of what you outlined there is ridiculous. Less time for History students? Kindly piss off :smile:
Reply 52
Abandon A-levels. Embrace the IB.
Reply 53
I'd agree with making exams harder and rolling out more interviews, can't agree with making it mandatory to take more A levels, some people just couldn't handle it and would crash and burn, a waste of potential. However, i think it should be presented as a possibility more often, it didn't even enter my head to do 4 in year 11, and now i wish i had. Rest of them are largely BS though.
Reply 54
Nahdrav
Mate youre going to a US Uni you cant even talk. The SAT and SAT IIs are the easiest tests in the world to ace given enough practice time. I know students who were predicted Ds and Cs who nailed 2200+ on their SATs because they paid enough for SAT tuition, theyre now going to top tier American universities after getting A-level results that wouldnt even get them into the most mediocre of British universities.

PS: I applied to the US, I got 2120 on the SAT I and got into all my choices bar Duke, so I do know what im talking about.

Although I do agree with some of your points, the main one being how ridiculously overused resits are.

Just out of sheer curiosity - did you apply to Harvard?
I've never done a whole past paper outside of lessons. I detest exam technique with a passion, yet I still do well. Taking away past exams would cause quiteeee a lot of people to do badly - not because they learn exam technique though, but because they don't know what the questions are going to be like :rolleyes:

I do agree with some of your points but some of them are really rather stupid; less time?! Maybe in some subjects but, for example, my Geography exam this year was 2 hours long and it was NON-STOP writing for all that time. A mark a minute, and each has to be explained and blah blah blah. Maybe for things like science they could, though I don't see the point in cutting down exam time. What benefit would it have?
Reply 56
Ammelia
OP has issues. I've got friends who work like hell and end up with Cs/Ds, yet other people bunk classes and are hardly in school but still come out with As. Not everyone is good at exams, and sometimes they need to do it more than once because they get stressed in exams. A better option would be to only let people retake each paper once.
Just because more people work hard doesn't mean they should be punished or looked down on. Not everyone has perfect grades!

Amelia, what you're saying is just a fact of life. You get people who are as smart as hell and can easily get the grades, and then you get those who work like hell and do badly. You can't give the ones who work like hell a 'consolation' grade A for not being smart enough. If you try your hardest and don't get an A, then..you don't get an A.
I used to be a dumbass back in my year 2 SATS, year 6 SATS, year 9 sats and only got my butt in gear in GCSE time, and I actually had to punish and discipline myself so much to increase my ability in exams because I used to try so hard and get no where, its a hurdle that is climbable. Education is a psychological challenge too.

If I had it my way, I'd have exams throughout the year like every 3 weeks in a class room environment, so the psychological issues that some great students have over doing 'finals' in exam halls wouldn't have to eat away at their true abilities.

Not everyone is good at exams - who's fault is that apart from theirs? In the end of the day, there are students who are good at exams who get the grades.

My point is that people who have perfect grades need to be worthy of these perfect grades.
It was never like this back in like, year 9 for SATS. If you got a level 7, you got a level 7, you can't resit anything.
Reply 57
It couldn't be that people simply are working harder?:ahee:
Reply 58
Hatatitla
Abandon A-levels. Embrace the IB.

I dont think I would have liked IB. You have to do english and humanities right? I am a maths boy, and HATE essays, so would have done way worse compared to others lol.
I<3LAMP
More people getting A's either means exams are getting easier or people are more intelligent these days.

Or teachers are 'teaching to the test' far more effectively, which I find more likely. Think of the league tables like a market, teachers may provide a varied and wide ranging product but if the only information people see before they buy is whether that product is an A or a B then they're going to go for the A. Competitive pressures=slim-lined product which meets market expectations.

Latest

Trending

Trending