The Student Room Group

Psychology A Level...?

Hi, I've just started my A Levels at a really good sixth form, and I'm taking Biology, English Lit, History...and Psychology. I'm quite enjoying it at the moment, but it's got a bit of a reputation at my school as being interesting to begin with and an absolute nightmare when it gets down to the nitty gritty. Anyone finished a psych AS/A2 and has a strong opinion on it? I have about a week to decide to change to Politics or keep psychology! Thank yooooou!

Scroll to see replies

Psychology is awesome, but I guess most people find the nightmare bit when they actually have to start thinking. Far too many people take it expecting it to be a doss and find this isn't the case.
Psychology AS is incredibly boring and it's not the doss people to believe it to be, however
if you revise properly you'll get an A easily because the exams are straight forward.
I'm doing A2 and it's not too bad at the minute.

Tbh I'd say drop it at A2 and do politics but if you really like it
then carry on with it!
Reply 3
Colour Me Pretty
Psychology AS is incredibly boring and it's not the doss people to believe it to be, however
if you revise properly you'll get an A easily because the exams are straight forward.

then carry on with it!

The boys in your sig really are disgusting. Where is your taste, girl? xx
It's interesting, and the AS material is fairly basic. Remember all your studies!
Reply 5
Colour Me Pretty

then carry on with it!

This sounds like pretty sound advice to me. It may mean you end up in sixth form for three years rather than two though, but if you think you can get on well there I don't really see the problem with that... if you're having problems, talk to someone though

Also, I've just started psychology at sixth form too and I personally find it really interesting. We're doing the same A-levels, minus the history (I'm only doing three).
Reply 6
HEDM22

Off-topic & I disagree, I think they're gorgeous! :p:
HEDM22

The picture of yourself in your profile is disgusting. Need I say more? :p:
Personally I found A-Level Psychology didn't really live up to what I thought it would be like. It introduces you to lots (I mean nearly a hundred in one exam) of studies and their relevant theories, which if you have a good teacher can be interesting.

But I felt a little like we didn't go into enough depth, there wasn't enough debate on the curriculum to feel I really engaged in 'Psychology'. That's not to say I didn't like the subject, but I found reading more widely independently to be far better than class time.

My second A2 paper was really just about studies.

My opinion, subjectively, you may of course prefer that broader shallower way of working. I would have liked to have debated and explored psychoanalysis in more depth, done some structured essays perhaps.

I ended up taking History as my fifth AS-Level (later I dropped to four) and found continuing it to A2 to be more fun and challenging. Source papers really are a nightmare and a complete shock to someone who had last done History aged 12.
Reply 9
it's okay, i'm a pretty hard worker and i took it because i think it's interesting, not a doss like some people in my class (that really annoys me!) thank you all for your brilliant advice! xxx
It definitely isn't hard.
Just have to find a good way of remembering a lot of studies and findings. Also helps to be fairly good at writing structured timed essays.

I found it quite interesting and enjoyable to read the books and highlight all the relavent info. In my course that's all there really was to it.
Reply 11
mathew551
The picture of yourself in your profile is disgusting. Need I say more? :p:

That wasn't nearly as funny or witty as you thought it was. :upyours:

Ignore them OP. Anyway, I would recommend Psychology. It's very easy to get an A in if you can write a decent essay and have a good memory (you have to memorise lots of case studies). Also, biology links in really well with it. :smile:
Psychology is geat!!! AS is a bit slow to begin with, just covering the basics, but A2 was awesome!!! PLus your doing biology as well, i dont know about yours but my ciurse was pretty biology orientated, so i found it much easier than others :biggrin: Just depends on what you want really??!!
Reply 13
I love it :smile:
Yo have to learn al the theories, and know enough cases to back them up ..
but then in the exam you have to debate/evaluate theories ..which i find means you have a lot of room to 'move about' if you get what I mean.

A2 is alot harder though ..but still enjoyable :smile:
HEDM22
That wasn't nearly as funny or witty as you thought it was. :upyours:

Ignore them OP. Anyway, I would recommend Psychology. It's very easy to get an A in if you can write a decent essay and have a good memory (you have to memorise lots of case studies). Also, biology links in really well with it. :smile:

Jesus woman, chill! :K:
HEDM22

Coming from the person who likes twicrap?
:rofl:
I would say if you think you'll enjoy it, then do it, regardless of if its easy or hard. The only reason people say its hard really is that people think its a doss and its not, but its no harder than any other subject - you just need to work at it. Theres a lot of things to remember though, you need to know all the studies inside out - but that becomes really easy if you actually enjoy it. In A2 we had 2/3 of our final (and only A2) exam on disscussion and debates, which you actually had to put in your own opinion for and back it up with facts etc. Like, nature or nurture, and why? But then, if you don't like the sound of psychology as a whole, you'll find it boring and difficult to remember everything.
karishzlee
Off-topic & I disagree, I think they're gorgeous! :p:

plus 1 for awesome taste!
Reply 18
Psychology is great and the workload may not seem as much if you have an interest in the subject (the same applies with all subjects). I personally didn't think the work was that tough. As long as you learn the exam technique and revise thoroughly, you won't have any problems.
It really depends on the person. A lot of my class dossed the whole year and it really reflected on their grades. But the exam is very straight forward, and pretty simple to get an A in, at AS anyway as I'm yet to experience A2.

You basically learn the whole book, memorise studies, relate and evaluate and then you're laughing at a nifty 60 points if you drop it after AS.

Latest

Trending

Trending