The Student Room Group

Medicine or dentistry????

Hey everyone:cool:

I am in 6th year right now and trying to decide what course to do at Uni.I managed to achieve AAAAC in english, maths, chemistry, human biology and modern studies with the C in english. My teacher has put an appeal in for me but she said there a slim chance it will be successful sicne I got a C in the prelim.

I am wanting to apply for Medicine/Dentistry in Scotland.

For Medicine, I have found out that I can get into Dundee and Aberdeen Uni.

Entry requirements -Dundee: AAABB or equivilent

-Aberdeen : AAAAB ......Candidates who do not meet the H requirements in S5 may be considered but must offer an appropriate programme of study in S6 and advice should be sought. The normal expectation for applicants who are one grade down, would be that they offer one new H at A, plus two AH at BB, or two new Hs at AA plus one AH at B. Alternative studies could be three AH at ABB, when Chemistry would be required with one from Biology, Mathematics or Physics plus one other subject.

I am currently doing Adv chem, Adv bio and higher business management.

For Dentistry, I could only get into Glasgow uni since the only other uni in scotland that do dentsitry is Dundee who are looking for 5 A's.

Glasgow uni want: AABB at first sitting. And overall AAAAB after S6.

I have relevant work exp for both courses as well as voluntery work. Ucas only let you apply to eith medicine or dentistry, not both.

So could uz please give me ur opinions in whether you think I would have a higher chance in getting into medicine or dentistry?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
i would choose the course that i believed I love the most. whether medicine or dentistry or business. i would go for the one that in future, i would enjoy everyday of my life going to work without regretting. Not because of reputation of the course or respect. i think you need to make your decision this way. If you are more passionate for medicine do medicine. I really doubt the two courses are too similar that you can be doubtful about your choice.
ONLY MY OPINION THOUGH. PLEASE DONT GET ME WRONG
Reply 2
Yeah I guess ur right....my first choice has always been medicine however dentistry seems quite interesting since most of ur work is practically done.
However...its more about the entry requirements im worried about...like if i wanted to dentsitry then its only glasgow i could apply to. And for medicine its only aberdeen and dundee. So either way its quite a risk i would be taking.

What course do you think I should apply for as my insurance? thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending