The Student Room Group

Doing a Sixth Forum third year

right guys, first of all i'm dyslexic, i can read fine, but forums tend to like immedatly going to the spelling, so do try to hold back.

I want to know, weater or not a third year in sixth form is good or not, from a university perspective.

this is not because of acedemic reasons, my grades are good, but socially, i'm far far from ready, i prioritise projects and work above looking after myself, i cant cook (toast, thats really it) operate washing machenery, drying aperatus and so forth.

The Goal: Oxbridge

this year i'll have 6 A-Levels (Second sixth form year, year 13) Inc so called "welsh baccoloriate"

my subjects are:
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
Further Maths
Further Further Maths (The A2 part of further maths, we didn't get the option in our first year)
Welsh Bac

for this year
next year, what would i do? i've really done all i _want_ to do. i suppose subjects i'd otherwise turn my back on i could do. like Geography, at GCSE that was facinating, but not enough to be done at A-Level.

So a third year, really, my only worrie is that it would affect my chances of getting in, what do Universities themselves feel about a third year, this isn't a question of grades.

I could move my further further maths (A2 further mats) over to my third year, to say look, "i was still studying maths" would this be good?

i've been lazy and ignored the problem, now i need help, i simply can't go it alone. I am genuinly scared, i've always wanted to go forward and excel in my field, now i dont even know what subject i've got to do, i suppose a thrid year is more deciding time...

anyway i dont know what to expect, you guys cant decide for me, but please please help me evaulate the pros and cons of each.
Reply 1
Teal93
i cant cook (toast, thats really it)

I moved into my Uni flat 3 days ago - could only cook toast.

I now know the basics for pizza, microwave chips and I made myself some spaghetti earlier...so...you won't starve. xD

As for Unis looking negatively on a third year...I'm not too sure. Try e-mailing Unis and asking?

Have you asked anybody at your school for help? Like teachers, or someone in Connexions?
Reply 2
If it's not a question of your grades, then I'm not sure, because if you did obtain poor grades then doing a third year would be perceived as futile, as Oxbridge would most likely reject you. However, as you did get amazing grades tbh, I would suggest you contact the admissions office- they have the contact info on the website- and explain your predicament. :smile:
Reply 3
i hear mixed views, some teachers say

"no
uni placements on the down, competition on the up
"
others say
"
well aslong as you can say why you wanted the year and that it was productive
"
my mum says
"
it'll show maturity if you make sure you're ready
"

i just...
its such a huge decission.
Reply 4
Teal93
right guys, first of all i'm dyslexic, i can read fine, but forums tend to like immedatly going to the spelling, so do try to hold back.

I want to know, weater or not a third year in sixth form is good or not, from a university perspective.

this is not because of acedemic reasons, my grades are good, but socially, i'm far far from ready, i prioritise projects and work above looking after myself, i cant cook (toast, thats really it) operate washing machenery, drying aperatus and so forth.

The Goal: Oxbridge

this year i'll have 6 A-Levels (Second sixth form year, year 13) Inc so called "welsh baccoloriate"

my subjects are:
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
Further Maths
Further Further Maths (The A2 part of further maths, we didn't get the option in our first year)
Welsh Bac

for this year
next year, what would i do? i've really done all i _want_ to do. i suppose subjects i'd otherwise turn my back on i could do. like Geography, at GCSE that was facinating, but not enough to be done at A-Level.

So a third year, really, my only worrie is that it would affect my chances of getting in, what do Universities themselves feel about a third year, this isn't a question of grades.

I could move my further further maths (A2 further mats) over to my third year, to say look, "i was still studying maths" would this be good?

i've been lazy and ignored the problem, now i need help, i simply can't go it alone. I am genuinly scared, i've always wanted to go forward and excel in my field, now i dont even know what subject i've got to do, i suppose a thrid year is more deciding time...

anyway i dont know what to expect, you guys cant decide for me, but please please help me evaulate the pros and cons of each.

if you feel your not ready for uni, and you have decent grades you'll be best off applying for a job or something whilst living at home and learning from your parents how to do things around the house.
Reply 5
thats back to the real question, will a 3rd year, doing anything, be looked upon unfavourable?
I'm doing a third year as well OP, can't say if they will look down on me as I haven't finished my UCAS application yet, but to my tutors, it doesn't seem as a big problem as they're treating me like a normal applicant :idontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending