The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i delete people that i don't wanna stay in contact with and the ones that are dead annoyin'
little_red_sox
I suddenly became very aware of how intrusive it is into your private life - Even if you only include info you're happy to share with the world yourself, other people can say things on your profile, take pictures without your knowledge or consent and share them for you.

I had an argument with my housemate recently as she'd taken pictues of me drunk where you could see up my skirt et cetera, and although they might be good for a laugh between us, I asked her NOT to put them on the internet for the world to see via FB. She did of course, and when I got angry, she told everybody we knew via "status update" what pathetic so-and-so I was and I felt totally publicly humiliated. There was nothing I could do about any of it.

I just feel invaded. I deleted everyone I hadn't spoken to or didn't know terribly well. Others can only see my profile photos and what's on my wall. Everything else is set to private.

That's out of order! Your housemate crossed the line there. When my friends and I have drinking sessions, it's usually my camera that's used, but I always check with them which photos it's OK to put on Facebook. One of my friends had fallen over and hurt his head, and was quite self-conscious with the mark on his head, so asked me not to post photos of him from a session we had then, and I respected that.

As for being deleted, meh. Several guys who I met at the start of first year and added as a group of people, deleted me throughout the year, despite being happy to stop for a conversation occasionally. Meh, we'd grown apart anyway, so although I was a tiny bit upset when it happened, I got over it quickly. I have my real friends, after all. :biggrin:
Reply 42
I do it like weekly :o: oops. I just get bored of people and their complaining when I have my own problems/drama that they're not interested about, I just feel like I don't owe them anything.

Maybe you update your status on a minutely basis? :s-smilie:
Every year I go through a clean up of my 'friends' list, delete all the people I don't talk to any more or who the ones I couldn't care less about.
Reply 44
I only delete people I don't know, but then I shouldn't have accepted them in the first place :p:

I dunno, I think it's weird you would delete someone you knew. I don't think I've ever done that. Even if I don't talk to them on facebook, it's a way to keep in touch if you need/want to ever catch up and just to see what they're up to. :smile:
Anonymous
Why is it that on Facebook people always delete each other? Am I the only one who has noticed this? Just why do they do it? It was NEVER like this on Myspace.

I admit that I'm not talking about proper friends, but we all have people on our Facebook "friends list" who we know in real life, see kind of regularly, but are not exactly friends...but why would they still delete you? Isn't that rude?

Also, this doesn't happen often, but maybe once a year I make friends with a random person over Facebook and have really nice conversations with them. There was a guy who I had really nice conversations with for quite a bit like last year, and then I suddenly found out today that he deleted me as well. I don't know how long ago he deleted me, but I just find that so rude and it hurts me, because I actually really liked him.

But apart from him, yes it bothers me when people I know in real life delete me. Just because we are not good friends and don't socialize in our spare time doesn't mean it's ok to delete each other...like we still see each other sometimes at school or around the place, etc. My daughter of my dads best friend deleted me too - I have only met her twice, and have had a conversation with her on Facebook once, but that is still quite bad to delete me considering that our dads are best friends. I also know she deleted my friend from her list too (who we both know).

So can you guys tell me what is it about Facebook that leads to people deleting each other? It's not like these people have 5000 friends. When you have like 300 friends on Facebook why would you start deleting people even if you know them in real life? Myspace was never like this.

Well sometimes I delete people if they have annoying and stupid statuses, or I just realise that I don't like that person.. Or some people start deleting when they think they have too many friends.. :yep:
I honestly don't see what the big deal is, it's Facebook :rolleyes:

I delete people all the time, and not to be rude or hurt somebody, but because I see it as pointless of having somebody on there if we aren't going to talk or interact on Facebook. If we do, and we are friends in real life, then i'll keep them. But I don't see the point as being friends with someone on Facebook just because I know who they are in real life.

For example, I deleted my cousins off Facebook - because we never spoke, and I wanted to keep my friend list right down to people who I will actually talk to. Not out of spite or to be mean. So stop jumping to the wrong conclusion OP, and tbh, get over it, it's Facebook.

I don't have Facebook anymore, because i'm cool :yep: :p:
Reply 47
immature people do that, thats just so childish.. :rolleyes:
Reply 48
To be honest, I haven't gone as far as deleting someone (although I do question whether some people on my list are really my "friend"), but I have hidden their updates - just as you would do with the Farmville updates.
I delete people who add me, never talk to me, then post repetitive, moany/bitchy statuses every half hour. There's no point in being friends with people on facebook that I wouldn't go out of my way to be friends with in real life.
*When I say I delete, I have done this like twice, I am willing to put up with it until it gets completely unreasonable.
i delete people who i dont chat to, or chat too much **** and it comes up on my news feed

and why cry over getting deleted, its only fb not the end of the world
little_red_sox
I suddenly became very aware of how intrusive it is into your private life - Even if you only include info you're happy to share with the world yourself, other people can say things on your profile, take pictures without your knowledge or consent and share them for you.

I had an argument with my housemate recently as she'd taken pictues of me drunk where you could see up my skirt et cetera, and although they might be good for a laugh between us, I asked her NOT to put them on the internet for the world to see via FB. She did of course, and when I got angry, she told everybody we knew via "status update" what pathetic so-and-so I was and I felt totally publicly humiliated. There was nothing I could do about any of it.

I just feel invaded. I deleted everyone I hadn't spoken to or didn't know terribly well. Others can only see my profile photos and what's on my wall. Everything else is set to private.

That is awful, as your friends, they should have more respect for you. I hate this, that people can put any photos they like of you online for anyone to see. They should ask for your consent and respect your wishes when you say no.

Stuff like that pisses me off, people have no privacy. This is why I got rid of Facebook.
It's only Facebook.
.Ali.

So if you're on my facebook anyone, be happy, means I like you. :h:

LOL... so your facebook is ? .... :p:
Reply 54
hi everyone xxxx

OP speaking, i just want to let you all know i also do not update my status with annoying things that much. i update my status about once a month, usually only for important thing like student accommodation, or maybe a funny video on youtube. i am not the type of person who makes statuses all the time, i only do it like once a month. so it can't be because of my status updates that people delete me.

i think people are just rude. and i hate it when they try to talk to you in real life after they deleted you. there was this bitch who deleted me and then came up to me asking for help with her university coursework, and so i told her 'no' and she got all offended. some people are just so stupid. if you want to be respected, then you should respect people yourself, and not make them feel bad
Reply 55
Genuinely can't believe there's a thread on this. Wow.
Reply 56
Went down from well over 600 friends to a nicely manageable 300, mainly because I had removed most of them from my newsfeed/didn't give two ***** about them/didn't like them/they annoyed the hell out of me.
Perhaps you fall out? Or it was someone you shouldn't have added/accepted in the first place, as you don't talk.
Only ever deleted two people:
1. My ex- it made it easier for me to get over him..otherwise I would have kept on going on his page..looking at his pics etc. I did it for both of us.
2. Some girl I never spoke to, who kept on preaching every 10 minutes or so..

I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just the internet :-/
didgeridoo12uk
if i dont speak to someone, then whats the point of having them on facebook? i'll happily delete them

This, plus I quite like doing a cull every so often to delete people I haven't seen or spoken to in a long time and am not likely to do so again. I don't know why but I quite like having my friend list under 100 friends as these are most likely people I will always keep in contact in one form or another whether occasionally seeing them at the pub/work/meals etc etc.