The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I deleted individual people because I found them and their lives tedious. I then deleted my Facebook account as that turned out everyone one else on my friends list was boring as well. I meet the people who really matter
I deleted individual people because I found them and their lives tedious. I then deleted my Facebook account as that turned out everyone one else on my friends list was boring as well. I meet the people who really matter
I delete people because they don't talk to me or I don't talk to them. I compared how many friends I had who had said happy birthday to me to my friends list aand that was a mass cull of people.
Reply 63
I delete people if their posts are depressing or they spam my homepage.
Reply 64
Anonymous
Why is it that on Facebook people always delete each other? Am I the only one who has noticed this? Just why do they do it? It was NEVER like this on Myspace.

I admit that I'm not talking about proper friends, but we all have people on our Facebook "friends list" who we know in real life, see kind of regularly, but are not exactly friends...but why would they still delete you? Isn't that rude?

Also, this doesn't happen often, but maybe once a year I make friends with a random person over Facebook and have really nice conversations with them. There was a guy who I had really nice conversations with for quite a bit like last year, and then I suddenly found out today that he deleted me as well. I don't know how long ago he deleted me, but I just find that so rude and it hurts me, because I actually really liked him.

But apart from him, yes it bothers me when people I know in real life delete me. Just because we are not good friends and don't socialize in our spare time doesn't mean it's ok to delete each other...like we still see each other sometimes at school or around the place, etc. My daughter of my dads best friend deleted me too - I have only met her twice, and have had a conversation with her on Facebook once, but that is still quite bad to delete me considering that our dads are best friends. I also know she deleted my friend from her list too (who we both know).

So can you guys tell me what is it about Facebook that leads to people deleting each other? It's not like these people have 5000 friends. When you have like 300 friends on Facebook why would you start deleting people even if you know them in real life? Myspace was never like this.
I remove people who I don't know, but have added by mistake or accepted without thinking. And I generally remove people I know if I don't want to be friends with them, which doesn't really happen very often.
I rarely delete people on facebook, if I don't want someone as a fb friend I don't add them/accept the add in the first place and I can't understand why others don't do the same.
Kt.b
I deleted people because I was never going to see them again and it felt rather stalkerish to be seeing all their status updates when I had a very vague recollection of them. I also didn't want to see a load of fat girls in my year wearing bikinis tbh.

:rofl: lol
I just had a pre-uni clearout. Down to low double figures now and much better for it. Like others I don't want people I know longer speak to being able to see all my personal information.
Facebook is firstly for keeping in contact with people. If you aren't going to see someone again or only met them once and you're adding them, then fine, if you are actually going to make an effort to talk to them and post on their wall etc. If not, then it's just someone you have met. You don't add everyone you meet on facebook, that's just stupid, especially since they can see what's going on in your life, or your photos and statuses etc. If there's no need for them to talk to you in real life, what's the need to have them on facebook and see photos etc?

Usually what I do is when I reach about 400 friends, I go through my list and start deleting people off. Those who I don't talk to, those who I never really cared about etc. If you haven't seen them in years (like some friend you find from your primary school), what's the point?
Reply 69
my exgf made my facebook account,so i never really went on it, i added lotsa people I knew though, i didnt use it for a very long time then came back one day and had 20-30 less friends, still finding people that I thought were my friend but apparently there not anymore. :/
Reply 70
I get deleted alot, mostly by girls have been on a date with and never heard from again haha. But have had a few people I kind of know through ex gf (who still chat to often and remained friends) delete me like her sister etc, Even had one delete me then saw months later had added me again wtf!
I get bored sometimes and know the friends list total and I sometimes scan through and see who is now missing when see the number has dropped one less.
But yeah OP it generally is rude, especially when it was them who asked if you use it and they add you, and yeah I seem to have girls do it more. I dont really mind or care about it though, most who do never speak to anyway so no real loss.
The thing that does annoy me is people who add you but they only let you see the basic info profile and you know they have banned you from seeing it all, as in their wall and photos. Why bother adding someone if you restrict them.
Reply 71
I don't want to read dull status updates 10 times a day from a person I knew at school, but haven't talked to since leaving a couple of years ago.
I don't delete people to spite them.
If it's someone who rarely talk to anymore posts a heavy number of updates which are a little boring/irritating, I'll delete them.
Had someone posting 'Everything happens for a reason', 'What doesn't kill will only make you stronger' and something else over and over again. Had to delete them.

I don't spend that much time on there so it's just quality control.
Reply 73
Spinnerette
I delete people because they don't talk to me or I don't talk to them. I compared how many friends I had who had said happy birthday to me to my friends list aand that was a mass cull of people.

The birthday messages thing is an interesting one.
Quite often, people will wish someone happy birthday because facebook prompts them, even though they would not message them on the other 364 days of the year, I see that a lot on other people's walls...

I've disabled my birthday in my profile, can't be doing with all that spam and I'm not bothered about my own birthday really ^^. The people who would genuinely care about it would likely communicate that through some other medium.

A few months ago I cut 40% of my friends, and I could barely tell the difference afterwards. I should really cut some more as I still get a lot of nonsense in my inbox, but my slight nosy and laissez-faire streaks stop me sometimes.
I don't really spend much time there these days anyway...
I delete people the second they start posting passive-aggressive status updates about their ex-boy/girlfriend such as "you've changed alot , just **** off out of my life forever". Why would I care about this? Bye.
JGR
The birthday messages thing is an interesting one.
Quite often, people will wish someone happy birthday because facebook prompts them, even though they would not message them on the other 364 days of the year, I see that a lot on other people's walls...

I've disabled my birthday in my profile, can't be doing with all that spam and I'm not bothered about my own birthday really ^^. The people who would genuinely care about it would likely communicate that through some other medium.

A few months ago I cut 40% of my friends, and I could barely tell the difference afterwards. I should really cut some more as I still get a lot of nonsense in my inbox, but my slight nosy and laissez-faire streaks stop me sometimes.
I don't really spend much time there these days anyway...

I discovered with the birthday thing though, that the only one's who said it were the ones I talk to frequently/a lot or the ones who were close to me. The others who didn't, never talked to me/ignored my statuses so it was a good way to cull people :smile:.
I only delete those that I've had problems with in real life. Like exes and people who I don't want to be a part of and who I don't want to have a part of me.
Reply 77
extra baggage, sometimes its better to leave the past as it is. like when someone who bullied you at school or made fun of you but didnt really ever talk to you adds you why would you want to talk to them again?
Reply 78
People always delete me, and the thing is I have no idea who. My friends list has been averaging about 360 people including new friends added and people who delete me :tongue: I don't really care though, if they don't want me as a friend on fb, I don't want them as one.
Reply 79
Yeah as much as people want to pretend it doesnt matter it is kind of hurtful, but the worst is when they were the ones that added you in the first place and then go on to delete you. Its like why even add me in the first place? I have deleted someone who I added once but that was because of offensive pictures of killing animals and stuff. But I dont do much beside put up pictures and write on friends walls so I dont get why they'd do it to me unless I added them first.

Latest

Trending

Trending