The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

English Studies or English Language and Literature ???

:confused:

Okay I have decided to replace King's College with Nottingham in my uni choices but, and this may seem like a silly question, what on earth is the difference between English Studies and English Language and Literature?

I've read the prospectus and online but I see literally no differencee, apart from a few modules. Generally speaking, those wh apply for English at other unis which one do they choose? Or should I assume that English Studies is more closely related to other subjects which are of the code Q300?

Many thanks...
Reply 1
:confused:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hellllllllllllllllooooooooooooo?
come to Nottingham fam. I predict that when you start in 12 months time I will run that place :fatcontroller:
Reply 4
English Studies is more free, I think. If you do a dissertation then you'll have more options with English Studies.
Reply 5
English Studies is wide ranging but you can focus down onto literature - Lit/Lang is 50/50. The two courses follow identical first years anyway.

Also, I'm applying there for English Studies :h:
I've just spent all weekend talking about this at the open days so this is gonna be a short answer.

First year basically the same.

Main diff is you can drop a strand or two (Drama/Med) second year, diss is compulsary final year and you HAVE to do two Lang and two lit modules.

It's been made in response to feedback from people not happy doing medieval or whatever all the way through.

With English Studies you do all four areas all the way through and then in final year can weight it towards one or two of them.
Reply 7
Brotherhood
I've just spent all weekend talking about this at the open days so this is gonna be a short answer.

First year basically the same.

Main diff is you can drop a strand or two (Drama/Med) second year, diss is compulsary final year and you HAVE to do two Lang and two lit modules.

It's been made in response to feedback from people not happy doing medieval or whatever all the way through.

With English Studies you do all four areas all the way through and then in final year can weight it towards one or two of them.

HOLD UP! I don't want to do drama in my second year too! How much drama is in the second year? On the website it doesn't list a module with compulsary drama elements. ;_;
Muffinz
HOLD UP! I don't want to do drama in my second year too! How much drama is in the second year? On the website it doesn't list a module with compulsary drama elements. ;_;

Analysing performance?
Reply 9
Brotherhood
Analysing performance?

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/modules.php?code=000600&mod_year=2 That isn't there, there's only three. Is that a mistake or did they remove the compulsary element?
Muffinz
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/modules.php?code=000600&mod_year=2 That isn't there, there's only three. Is that a mistake or did they remove the compulsary element?

From the overview of that: "You will take core modules to develop the areas of English literature, language and medieval studies, as well as a core module in drama."

As I understood it, from the open days I just did, nothing's changed. You'd probs be best emailing someone though.
Muffinz

You can drop drama-I just have and am starting second year.

I imagine the main difference is that English Studies is broader and encompasses medieval english and drama as well as lit and lang whereas English Lit and Lang the degree only concentrates on those two areas....
Reply 12
La Esmerelda
You can drop drama-I just have and am starting second year.

I imagine the main difference is that English Studies is broader and encompasses medieval english and drama as well as lit and lang whereas English Lit and Lang the degree only concentrates on those two areas....

Oh, awesome! How did you find medieval english?
Muffinz
Oh, awesome! How did you find medieval english?

I don't like it at all and find it quite difficult. In second year they expect you to be able to translate it somewhat and its just a waste of time that module. You'd be better of doing eng lit and lang or changing now!
La Esmerelda
I don't like it at all and find it quite difficult. In second year they expect you to be able to translate it somewhat and its just a waste of time that module. You'd be better of doing eng lit and lang or changing now!

I'd say that for people who are genuinely interested in Medieval English, it's a great module. The opportunity to learn Old English and gain experience with translating it is something quite special.

But it's purely up to the individual, not a general 'you'd be better off not doing it' kind of thing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Fjarskafinn
I'd say that for people who are genuinely interested in Medieval English, it's a great module. The opportunity to learn Old English and gain experience with translating it is something quite special.

But obviously, if it's not your thing, you're going to hate it, and I saw about 75% of English studies students absolutely loathing it. So it's purely up to the individual, not a general 'you'd be better off not doing it' kind of thing.

But as you said-most don't enjoy it. Someone here said that thats why they brought out the eng lit and lang only degree because lots of people complained about the medieval but I don't know for sure.
Brotherhood
Analysing performance?

As a second year I'm guessing I'm not able to change to do Lit and Lang (as I think it came out only this year?)
I'm a 3rd year now, and a few from my course changed to lit and lang (because they hated medieval) as soon as it became available at the start of our second year. So it is possible to change. I'd go ask at the office asap before you get too far into the year.

I loathed everything medieval in my first year, but then started liking it in 2nd and its now one of the areas I do best in and enjoy most. All i can say is that, in my experience, it gets better.

Latest

Trending

Trending