The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
feli1986
Thanks for the suggestions to the first thread I posted~

But if I do go to Durham U for law, does anyone have any idea about my college? It's University College - Castle. And my friend's been allocated to St. Aidan's College, is it alright?

Please advise. Thanks~~~

Felicity

You have a posh name, try Collingwood!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
onearmedscissor
You have a posh name, try Collingwood!

oops, I applied to Collingwood and I don't have a posh name!
feli1986
Thanks for the suggestions to the first thread I posted~

But if I do go to Durham U for law, does anyone have any idea about my college? It's University College - Castle. And my friend's been allocated to St. Aidan's College, is it alright?

Please advise. Thanks~~~

Felicity

Castle you should find is quite spectacular, and is the focal point of the University.

If you got in there, you have been fortunate as it is the most chosen college on the application.
I've applied to Durham! And visited most of the hill college bars. So I'm afraid that I don't know much about Castle, only it looks very impressive. When I went, they wouldn't even let us inside to look round because we weren't Castle students. St. Aidens is right up a big hill so it'll keep your friend fit (it's not that bad actually, I managed it without falling to the floor, clutching my chest) and the bar seemed nice and cheap. You get a nice view from that far up too.
I've got a place at Grey, which seemed like the most fun college to me. It has a cheese society, which I am looking forward too especially.

Lots of love
Emma
xxx
covered farm wa
I've applied to Durham! And visited most of the hill college bars. So I'm afraid that I don't know much about Castle, only it looks very impressive. When I went, they wouldn't even let us inside to look round because we weren't Castle students. St. Aidens is right up a big hill so it'll keep your friend fit (it's not that bad actually, I managed it without falling to the floor, clutching my chest) and the bar seemed nice and cheap. You get a nice view from that far up too.
I've got a place at Grey, which seemed like the most fun college to me. It has a cheese society, which I am looking forward too especially.

Lots of love
Emma
xxx

Grey is quite nice, I went there on a pre-application open "day" residential weekend a couple of years ago, and is just the right sort of distance from everything to be convienient, without being too much of a chore each morning and night with respect to the gradients.

The train station is a fair trek, especially if you take a whole lot of bags with you, as it's up on the viaduct.

The good news though, for the party goers of you going to Durham, is that the late night return (mid-week) from Newcastle leaves Geordie-town at 2:10 AM and arrives back in Durham at 2:26 AM, costing £4.60 return, which is a top notch buy, as Newcastle as byb3 will tell you is a good place to go on a night out.
Reply 6
has anyone applied to university college?? - what is it like?
Reply 7
University college is a castle and sum 60s flats, a very wide range, but mostly said to be great, if you dont mind a draughty old building.

I got and offer from st aidens and i visited today, its really nice, being refurbished, all new for 2004 even has a fridge in the rooms
Reply 8
Collingwood rules! I've just returned from the open day and I would go there were it not for my Oxford offer. 'Why are you here?! Go to Oxford!' said the JCR - which I am now an honourary member of. (I'm a legend there apparently.)

There are hardly any Rahs, so they say. From what I saw at Grey, when we crashed their 'disco', Grey is a terrible college - so much so that their open day banner was found in the SU urinals covered in footprints, amongst other things.

Castle and Collingwood are the most poplular colleges, I have been told. The accommodation at Collingwood is seen as the best in Durham - hence it is known as 'the hotel on the hill'. The Wood's bar is also the longest, and is arguably the best.

Oh Collingwood (from what I remember anyway)
(to the tune of When the Saints Go Marching In)

Oh Collingwood! (Oh Collingwood)
Is wonderful! (Is wonderful!)
Oh Collingwood is wonderful!
It's full of beer, tits and rugby!
Oh Collingwood is wonderful!

Repeat endlessly...

J.
Reply 9
University College - or Castle as it is more affectionately known, is seen as being one of 'the' colleges to get into. Competition for places is high, and only a lucky few get to live in the Keep - the rest have to make do in Moatside (though for all that is said against it, it is central and v. near Castle itself).
The Bar is excellent - bare-face rock gives it a nice touch (a bit like Jimmy Allens' which is a watering-hole in Durham) and is very spacious. It has a separate games room and the main bar can be divided into two to allow private functions and the normal bar to operate as usual. The only downside is the waiting time to get served - they have a good menu of drinks in their favour.
There are a few Rahs at Castle, but, like Hatfield, it is not exclusively so. There is a strong all-round espirit d'corps in Castle and its sporting teams are often found in the thick of things.
Castle has its own Theatre company which often tenders for parts from other colleges, and its performances are first class.
There are also magnificent balls etc and is well placed for Arts subjects (just a few mins from Hatfield, situated opposite the Cathedral).

covered farm wa hope you have a good time at Durham - I'm loving it so far. Seem to remember you asking about Durham and Warwick in an earlier thread? Apparently it snowed yesterday or day before - but stuck on the south coast :frown:

Latest