The Student Room Group

Is it good mentioning paid work in ucas?

I'm applying for medicine this year.
I'm in 6 form.
I have had 2 paid jobs.
I had worked full time as a sales assistant in a book shop from Jan 2009 to August 2009 after which I have been working there part time.
This summer I worked full time as Health Care Assistant and intend to work there part time till I leave for uni.

So how should I put it in UCAS as ucas has only partime or full time?

And I also want to know whether it is good mentioning it or risky?
I'm 17 now.

advise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I definitely think you should mention it, having 2 jobs and still doin a-levels shows you can handle alot, which is what you need to do in medicine anyway, wot would the risks be anyway?
Apparently, yes.

So long as you haven't been sacked from either one! :gah:
Reply 3
LukeR92
I definitely think you should mention it, having 2 jobs and still doin a-levels shows you can handle alot, which is what you need to do in medicine anyway, wot would the risks be anyway?

I'm applying to cam.
I'm just asking whether there are any disadvantages.

Do you know how I should put it in ucas?
Reply 4
ucasprob
I'm applying to cam.
I'm just asking whether there are any disadvantages.

Do you know how I should put it in ucas?

I'd probably use the employment section on UCAS, maybe a mention in your PS aswell about the workload you handle.
Reply 5
As long as you can relate it to Medicine.
Reply 6
Theres an employment section on ucas where you can put it in, but i would put part time, because if you put full time then they might think this will overshadow your a-levels and you might not do as well, i think if anything its an advantage as with cam im sure they want alot of extra curricular activities and this could be part of it
Reply 7
placenta medicae talpae
Apparently, yes.

So long as you haven't been sacked from either one! :gah:

I have been doing part-time job for the whole of last year and intend to do work as HCA in a nearby clinic part-time as well.
I had worked full time this summer and I liked the experience and would like to continue it.

So basically I will be having 2 part-time jobs next year, so will unis ???? think anything??

and do you know how I should ut it in ucas form?
Reply 8
gozatron
I'd probably use the employment section on UCAS, maybe a mention in your PS aswell about the workload you handle.

yeah I know I have to put it in the employment section but the problem is I worked full time during summer and intend to work part-time now as school has started so should I put in ucas as seperate?
Reply 9
Relate it the medicine, and also mention the skills you've gained from both those jobs, rather that just saying you had two jobs! :smile:
This is in your personal statement btw.
ucasprob
I have been doing part-time job for the whole of last year and intend to do work as HCA in a nearby clinic part-time as well.
I had worked full time this summer and I liked the experience and would like to continue it.

So basically I will be having 2 part-time jobs next year, so will unis ???? think anything??

Cambridge won't want you to keep up your HCA work during term-time, just so you know.

Put down what you've actually done, work-wise, in the employment section, and then in your PS perhaps mention that you are hoping to continue working as a HCA during your degree if your degree workload permits it.
Reply 11
Put them in as part time in the employment section, it doesn't really matter though, they're not going to make a decision about offering you a place based on where you've worked.
Reply 12
put the same job in twice, it allows you to put in dates so put like e.g. June 2010-Sept 2010 - full time and then Sept 2010 - August 2011 - part time im sure they will get it
ucasprob

I think that the only thing they could possibly think is that you are perhaps strapped for cash, and are doing something sensible about your position.
It will also be a great reflection on your time-management, organisation, and all of the other things which they might glean from someone who has voluntary positions.
(I say this because people often think that volunteering = good, employment = bad, but really you often get similar skills).

As others have mentioned, any jobs should be put in the employment section of the UCAS form, and it would be good to mention them (however briefly - I appreciate there won't be oodles of space!) and particularly what you have learned from them that will be especially relevant to medicine.
Reply 14
*pitseleh*
Cambridge won't want you to keep up your HCA work during term-time, just so you know.

Put down what you've actually done, work-wise, in the employment section, and then in your PS perhaps mention that you are hoping to continue working as a HCA during your degree if your degree workload permits it.

I decided to continue only till next year(I started A2 this Sep)
I might/might not continue when at uni.
Reply 15
Yes, if you still have the grades it just shows commitment and ability.

I'd just put them both as part time on the form, because you have been doing part time for longer at the book shop, and will be doing part time at the health care job when you apply plus you can't work full time during term time and this could just confuse them; but I don't think it will make much of a difference.
*pitseleh*

This is likely true.

My sister (who studies at Oxford, so not 100% the same as Cambridge) was actually paid not to work.
They gave her something over £1000 this year as a bribe so that she wouldn't get employment.
Whether Cambridge does anything similar, I don't know.
I guess that, even if it does, there's no guarantee that such schemes will continue next year, due to cut backs :frown:
Reply 17
placenta medicae talpae
I think that the only thing they could possibly think is that you are perhaps strapped for cash, and are doing something sensible about your position.
It will also be a great reflection on your time-management, organisation, and all of the other things which they might glean from someone who has voluntary positions.
(I say this because people often think that volunteering = good, employment = bad, but really you often get similar skills).

As others have mentioned, any jobs should be put in the employment section of the UCAS form, and it would be good to mention them (however briefly - I appreciate there won't be oodles of space!) and particularly what you have learned from them that will be especially relevant to medicine.

thanks
I'm not short of cash but will unis think so and think I might mess up studies working when at uni.
(I intend not to work when at uni)
Reply 18
kpwxx
Yes, if you still have the grades it just shows commitment and ability.

I'd just put them both as part time on the form, because you have been doing part time for longer at the book shop, and will be doing part time at the health care job when you apply plus you can't work full time during term time and this could just confuse them; but I don't think it will make much of a difference.

i'm not from uk.
In my country after O Levels(GCSE) there is a gap of six months and during that time I worked full time at the book shop so should I put it as 2 sections or just 1.
Reply 19
ucasprob
i'm not from uk.
In my country after O Levels(GCSE) there is a gap of six months and during that time I worked full time at the book shop so should I put it as 2 sections or just 1.

I personally would still put it down as one job and part time.

But I don't think it would have any negative effect at all if you put it as two jobs, one part time and one full time. So I suppose you could do that to be on the safe side. But generally, it might just seem confusing to them, so I don't think there is any downfall of putting it as one part time job either.

Latest

Trending

Trending