The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

its irritating cus those guys are clearly silly for doing it and not worty ppl. Then again sometimes it can be flattering, depending on the mood. I dont think my boyfriend minds it, tho he does worry about it when i go out to clubs alone i think, even tho he knows i tell them where to go. bless him :smile:
Reply 41
Offensive. But what can you do...
Reply 42
Lauren

Wow Slypie your experiences sound a lot like mine (except my bf has never done that...). Why do these old guys think they can get girls our age?!?!! Ewww.

haha... Well he mentioned that he was "very rich" and had "many cars." Thus he wanted to compensate for his age with money, which is uh very nice of him. (His son was actually older than me...)
Lauren
This is mostly for girls, but guys please give your point of view!

I guess my stories from yesterday will help explain:
I was getting some petrol and some lads pulled up at the next pump. The passenger rolled down his window and whistled at me. The driver went in to pay, then came out as I was going to pay, and he went to hold the door open for me, saying "come on gorgeous, can't hold the door open all day" and smiled at me.

I was a bit offended at being whistled at, but the guy opening the door for me was just really sweet and cheered me up.

My second story:
I was driving on the motorway to my boyfriend's, and there was a van with two lads in, and they deliberately went in the lane to my right, just in front of me, with the passenger hanging out the window, keeping pace with me. When I overtook them, the driver then hung out his window (rather dangerous!) and then they kept pace with me again, till I put my foot down properly.

Now this one pissed me off. It was dangerous and I don't appreciate being perved at.

So...my questions are: what are you experiences? Were you offended or flattered? How do you react to it, and how do you rid yourself of unwanted attention? What does your boyfriend think when guys do this?

My boyfriend was a bit pissed off. I totally understand but in a way it's good for him that other guys think his girlfriend is nice-looking! But I had to reassure him that just cos some guys try to chat me up doesn't mean I'm going to run away.

Guys: what's your reaction when this happens to your girlfriend?

i would find that highly offensive.
Reply 44
SlyPie
haha... Well he mentioned that he was "very rich" and had "many cars." Thus he wanted to compensate for his age with money, which is uh very nice of him. (His son was actually older than me...)

i know what you mean on this.some older guys are really into younger girls.i've seen some checking out girls who are like 14.it freaks me out really
j_j87
do girls find it offensive if a guy approaches them i.e in a bar and then compliments them about their physical appearance

yes. i consider it an insult.
Reply 46
Nima
Lauren, I think you should get over yourself, and stop posting threads explaining how guys fancy you and it's all a big problem, when really you're very flattered and happy and you like the fact that your bf gets jealous, which is the truth. And also, to understand that your attitude in general will always lead to suspicion from your bf, understandably. Yes, you're attractive, get over it, doesn't mean you're God's gift either. :rolleyes: Your 'OMG, guys think I'm hot and I get attention, poor me, why can't it stop!' notions are very...up yourself.

Good post!
Reply 47
cherrychocolate
I hate dudes like that.The behaviour of some guys is just disgusting.When it happens to me I either ignore it,tell them to get lost or give them a really evil look.

Same here.
When it happens in a club, I just ignore it, or if they speak to me I explain I have a boyfriend and that usually does the trick. I generally feel rather flattered, and my boyfriend doesn't really mind because he knows it makes me a bit more confident, and that obviously I wouldn't go off with any of them! If they pinch my bum though I do feel a bit degraded. I've only ever had a scary experience once before, when I was roaming the back streets of Morecambe on my own in the evening (yes, foolish I know, but I hadn't planned to!) and a man old enough to be my grandfather backed me up against a fence and said 'you're gorgeous' and 'will you let me kiss you?', stuff like that :eek: :eek: . It was weird actually, because I felt more sorry for him than anything else - it was obvious he was mentally ill because of the way he looked and rambled on!
Reply 49
Nima
Lauren, I think you should get over yourself, and stop posting threads explaining how guys fancy you and it's all a big problem, when really you're very flattered and happy and you like the fact that your bf gets jealous, which is the truth. And also, to understand that your attitude in general will always lead to suspicion from your bf, understandably. Yes, you're attractive, get over it, doesn't mean you're God's gift either. :rolleyes: Your 'OMG, guys think I'm hot and I get attention, poor me, why can't it stop!' notions are very...up yourself.

No, I'm not "posting threads about how guys fancy me". This happens to all girls. Look at the amount of real replies this has had. At any rate, you haven't seen a picture of me, so how would you know what I look like? And even if you have seen a picture, how do you know it's actually me? I could be a fat moose for all you know. And if you could actually read you would see I'm talking about guys who do this to every female who walks past.

Edit: I just noticed you think I'm happy about this. Would I post a question asking how to make it stop if I was happy? Ffs. *Shakes head*. I give up.
Reply 50
Adhsur
Again with the rudeness. I got your other post edited because I didn't think it was fair to call me a "bitch" and now you are telling me to "piss off"? Have I said anything rude to you?

If I knew it would upset you this much, I wouldn't have mentioned it. I just remembered that there had been an incident which may have led to your bf getting more worried than normal and so thought that might be relevant. If it isn't, then I'm sorry and I'm glad things got sorted out.

My intention was never to make you feel bad. I thought it was relevant so maybe it was bad judgement on my behalf as it's something you are still sensitive about. But there was no need for you to say such rude things.

Rudeness? :rolleyes: The swear filter doesn't allow "rudeness". At any rate, attempts at snide malicious comments are your speciality. Sort yourself out before having a go at others.

And please note, just in case you have problems understanding English, I said you are BEING a bitch, and you are right now. For some reason, you got something against me (just look at the Cambridge forum) and I think perhaps you should explain why.

This is completely irrelevant to the thread, but for those of you who are getting involved, I sat my bf down last night and made him tell me the truth. He said it was really hard getting over it, but he got over it a while ago, and now he loves me. I know it's possible to get over it, because I've got over a kind of similar thing that he's done. We both got upset but now we're even closer. So this is proof that getting back together doesn't just happen with celebrities.
Reply 51
Lauren
Rudeness? :rolleyes: The swear filter doesn't allow "rudeness". At any rate, attempts at snide malicious comments are your speciality. Sort yourself out before having a go at others.

And please note, just in case you have problems understanding English, I said you are BEING a bitch, and you are right now. For some reason, you got something against me (just look at the Cambridge forum) and I think perhaps you should explain why.

This is completely irrelevant to the thread, but for those of you who are getting involved, I sat my bf down last night and made him tell me the truth. He said it was really hard getting over it, but he got over it a while ago, and now he loves me. I know it's possible to get over it, because I've got over a kind of similar thing that he's done. We both got upset but now we're even closer. So this is proof that getting back together doesn't just happen with celebrities.

Seriously,how ever much your boyfriend tells u he is over it, it is impossible, you and ure boyf might be the happiest people in the world right now, but doesnt mean that he has forgotten bout it. Ever thought he said it to make you happy? i dont know but anythin like that u cant be completely over.

Lauren u seem to really like arguing, listen to what people are saying on this thread its for advice if people give u advice u dont like, its simple dont post it.
Reply 52
willey
Seriously,how ever much your boyfriend tells u he is over it, it is impossible, you and ure boyf might be the happiest people in the world right now, but doesnt mean that he has forgotten bout it. Ever thought he said it to make you happy? i dont know but anythin like that u cant be completely over.

Lauren u seem to really like arguing, listen to what people are saying on this thread its for advice if people give u advice u dont like, its simple dont post it.

I wasn't asking for advice on this issue. Some people just decided to give it. I don't need advice on it because it's sorted.

Look Willey, I don't like arguing, and in fact I agree with you. I don't think he could ever be over it, and I beat myself up every day over it. However, he tells me he's over it; whenever I bring it up, and say how bad I feel, he always reassures me. It took a while for him to say that. He wasn't over it for a while; he didn't start saying this straight away. Because I trust him, I have no option but to believe him.
Reply 53
Lauren
I wasn't asking for advice on this issue. Some people just decided to give it. I don't need advice on it because it's sorted.

Look Willey, I don't like arguing, and in fact I agree with you. I don't think he could ever be over it, and I beat myself up every day over it. However, he tells me he's over it; whenever I bring it up, and say how bad I feel, he always reassures me. It took a while for him to say that. He wasn't over it for a while; he didn't start saying this straight away. Because I trust him, I have no option but to believe him.

Yeah ok, thats a fair point, if your boyfriend says this and you trust him, then you should beleive what he says, Im just giving a males perspective, u sound as if you are happy and everything is sorted out. glad you trust him as well. Trust is one of the biggest parts of a relationship
Lauren

Hi Lauren :smile:

I have read both of your threads and don't think the comments about the situation before are neccessary now as they don't hold any relevance to this thread.

It's good to hear that your boyfriend is over it, trust him and listen to him, noone on here knows the full story or the ins and outs of your relationship, so try not to let people's comments upset you or bother you.

It's really good to hear that you and your boyfriend are getting on great together :smile: , i wish you both all the happiness in the world :biggrin: .
Lauren
No, I'm not "posting threads about how guys fancy me". This happens to all girls. Look at the amount of real replies this has had. At any rate, you haven't seen a picture of me, so how would you know what I look like? And even if you have seen a picture, how do you know it's actually me? I could be a fat moose for all you know. And if you could actually read you would see I'm talking about guys who do this to every female who walks past.

Edit: I just noticed you think I'm happy about this. Would I post a question asking how to make it stop if I was happy? Ffs. *Shakes head*. I give up.

You're telling me that every girl recieves the same attention? Shock, horror, but attractive girls recieve this attention. :rolleyes: And yes I have seen 2 pics of you, and no I won't assume that they're false, considering that there are other people on TSR who'd have seen you anyway. And so what, what does that have to do with anything? We're going on the assumption you're attractive and recieve attention, the truth/falsity of it is irrelevant; if you lied, this thread is void anyway.

And yes, I can read, but guys don't do this to every female, hence get over yourself pretending its a problem - You enjoy recieving male attention, simple as that. And don't try convincing any1 that you don't.

And yes you are happy about this. I don't see how you'd be unhappy with comments/whistles etc. implying they're attracted to you. You enjoy it, and it shows in your threads, you say things akin to, 'guys think i'm attractive and I recieve comments, my boyfriend gets jealous and insecure, ohhh help I hate being thought of as attactive!". Yes...
Nima
You're telling me that every girl recieves the same attention? Shock, horror, but attractive girls recieve this attention. :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised just how many girls do get this type of attention and for many girls it can make them feel very degraded :mad:
Reply 57
Nima
And yes you are happy about this. I don't see how you'd be unhappy with comments/whistles etc. implying they're attracted to you. Infact, 99.9% of women will enjoy that.

The fact that pretty much all of the ladies on the thread find such attention offensive says otherwise. It's already been stated that such attention does not equal attraction. It implies that the men in question are akin to apes.

I'm telling you I'm not happy with this. Why are you accusing me of lying? Maybe YOU would like to have men whistling at you, but surprise surprise, girls don't enjoy being degraded.
Reply 58
So, hold on, if guys walking up to you and saying "hi" is offensive, how is anybody suppose to go out with anybody? Obviously there is a clear distinction between arse-pinching and merely being forward, but I get the impression from this thread that you girls would rather not be approached by any guys at all.
Reply 59
So, hold on, if guys walking up to you and saying "hi" is offensive, how is anybody suppose to go out with anybody? Obviously there is a clear distinction between arse-pinching and merely being forward, but I get the impression from this thread that you girls would rather not be approached by any guys at all.

what most people have been saying on here is that some men, ie builders with no respect for women, will treat them like a bit of rough, or degrading by shouting things and whistling at them, of course girls may think wow how flattering but some are worried at what else they might say.
Obviously if a boke comes up and says i think you are attractive, obviously girls are going to be flattered, but the likelyhood is these, r goin 2 b strangers, people they dont know. in that sence i presume its worryin,

i know my girlfriend feels uncomfortable with it, but flattered if its said and done in the right mannor, not, grab her ass, shout nice tits/ass, and generaly making her feel uncomfortable.

Latest

Trending

Trending