The Student Room Group

MAJOR advice needed about AS levels. Shall i only take 3, then have 3 A levels?

Hey everyone.

I'm in college now and I have took Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology for AS level and I was intending to drop Psychology after the 1st year and do the other 3 for A levels.

I am currently HATING psychology at the moment. It's a totally new subject and I am so struggling with it. I'm a science person so I took this, thinking it would be a 'soft' chill out subject away from my other 3; obviously I was wrong like everyone thinks about this subject. Anyway I am seriously freaking out about this subject. I dropped english for a reason at GCSE because I DESPISE IT! I hate writing essays and my english is so bad. I checked a past paper for psychology last night and i was seriously panicing because there are essays in the exam. In my english GCSE i got to a point of nearing storming out, it was that bad. I'm not good with not preparing for what is to come out; this is why I prefer maths/science.

In lessons, because its a new subject, I am getting loaded with this new stuff and I have to learn all these studies and all these new words!!. I don't even understand it in class because she goes so fast! She reads off the screen and i can't digest it at all. What I'm worrying about is that I think I will find this to be my priority when it comes to revising because there is more to learn (as i don't have a clue) where as I need my other subjects to get into a Vet university which is what I want to do.

So here's my problem. How important is it to have 3 A levels and an AS level?. Is the AS level of psychology really going to increase my chances of getting into vet school because if not, I am wasting my time on this, getting all worried and stressed about a subject I actually don't want to do or is it actually benefitial to have an AS level as well. The vet school requirements expect the biology and chemistry and one out of maths and physics but it doesn't mention about having AS levels. But i don't want to do any other subject, i didn't even want to take psychology but i thought you had to take 4 AS levels?! Physics has always been my other option as a 4th AS level but again vet schools don't expect any more from what I am doing.

What shall I do?

I will hopefully gain 3 A levels after 2 years. Is it vital to also have 1 AS level in Psychology or should I just prioritise the subjects I need which is the 3 which probably means I would do better in them?

Or should I drop psychology and do physics for AS level. Again I don't need it so am I wasting my time here as well.

Hope you understand what I am saying. It has really been affecting me and I have been really down over it because psychology isn't living up to my expectations. Shall i take the 3 subjects I want to do, or shall I do an AS level, and if so which is best for me?
I know for Imperial they want 4 AS levels. This may be similar for other top Unis, if you wanted to go to one. Pick up Physics now if you can and drop at A2?
Reply 2
well if the university you want to go to requires a an AS level then physics seems to be your best bet IMO, since physics has a lot of maths and some chemistry i think. You will also have knowledge from GCSE?
Drop the psychology and do physics.
It would be beneficial for you to take 4 AS Levels; most top universities ask for that. If you hate Psychology that much, drop it and take Physics instead :smile: Easy.
Reply 5
I only took 3 AS levels, because rather embarrassingly, I had to re-take Maths GCSE because I got a D in it at high school. I got told by my tutors it wouldn't have a real effect, she said most universities look for a minimum of 3, some prefer 3.5, but that is only the top top universities.
Reply 6
You do realise your going to be writing essays in uni no matter what the subject? Get practice now.
I only want to write essays in subjects im interested in and have to do.

Any other suggestions?
at my college they have said give it three weeks minimum, it may be an initial panic sort of thing, it may well calm down after a couple of weeks. why not try speak to your psycho teacher? she may be able to recommend a book you could borrow from the library/she could lend you, that might help you to get a good basic knowledge on the subject, fairly quickly and easily, and targeted at your a level and that you can read in your own time and at your own pace? read over things several times if you need to.
i spoke to my psy teacher today, she understands and didn't contradict what i thought the course involved such as essays. I have just brought a textbook funny enough but there is a lot of content that is new to me, where as with the other sciences i am able to 'step up' because i already have a basis. I have gave it two weeks but i don't think an extra week would make me feel any different :/

Latest