The Student Room Group

AS edexcel History - reading lists?

Hello all

Basically I had my first History AS lesson yesterday and although I am looking forward to learning about the Russian revolution and (but not so much so the women gaining the vote haha) I was struck by how much reading they suggested we needed to do.

I am not against reading quite a lot - but I am kind of confused how many books (including the edexcel textbooks) are needed to gain a good understanding of the historical periods and for exam techniques?

The school provided me with 1 edexcel textbook and 1 other book by an historian for the women gaining the vote part and two textbooks for the russian revolution (edexcel ones again). I am planning on getting 2 other books on russia making it 4 for that unit.

Basically I am asking is 2 books for the women unit and 4 books for the russian revolution unit a good amount for this history course? Or is it too much or too little?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
You can by all means read more books around the subject to provide you with more detail and background. But, in terms of exam technique, it's best to stick mostly to the Edexcel books. Basically, they'll tell you exactly what you need to know and how to write it.
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice.
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice.
Reply 4
For a book about Russia, try "A History of Modern Russia" by Robert Service. It goes from Tsar Nicholas II, through to Yeltsin and Putin.
Reply 5
Yup, that was in the reading list - would you say that its suitable for A level or is it quite a heavy book? I've heard the Michael Lynch books are quite good - I was considering them.
HSethi
Hello all

Basically I had my first History AS lesson yesterday and although I am looking forward to learning about the Russian revolution and (but not so much so the women gaining the vote haha) I was struck by how much reading they suggested we needed to do.

I am not against reading quite a lot - but I am kind of confused how many books (including the edexcel textbooks) are needed to gain a good understanding of the historical periods and for exam techniques?

The school provided me with 1 edexcel textbook and 1 other book by an historian for the women gaining the vote part and two textbooks for the russian revolution (edexcel ones again). I am planning on getting 2 other books on russia making it 4 for that unit.

Basically I am asking is 2 books for the women unit and 4 books for the russian revolution unit a good amount for this history course? Or is it too much or too little?

Thanks in advance.

I must have only read about 2 or 3 books on Russia when I did it with Edexcel. The reading list is mostly suggested not intended, I had the Edexcel red textbooks for Russia and Russia: From Tsars to Commissars by David Oxley (I think, it's on the reading list I think also so check there) It's published by oxford and In my opinion its much better than the edexcel textbooks for information (not exam technique). If I could give you one tip for your course, memorise the top answers in the edexcel textbook, they came in very handy for my exam! If you've got anymore questions on Edexcel History feel free to quote me back or PM me, I'm on here most days to check.
Reply 7
You'll be fine with just Reading your textbook at AS and making good notes, listening in class etc. It's at A2
when you start coursework when the extra Reading really needs to be done
Reply 8
Original post by Inner Poise
your sig

Here comes Autumn =)

/off topic/
Reply 9
Original post by manthew
Here comes Autumn =)

/off topic/

yes :beard:

:smile:
The Michael Lynch ones are alright - they describe rather than analyse in places. They are good for a background, but I didn't find them much help when it came to exma technique, which is important for edexcel as it heavily depends on your ability to create a balanced argument.

Latest

Trending

Trending