The Student Room Group

English Language Spelling is terrible??

I've grown up speaking and writing English since I was born yet it appauls me how ridiculous the spelling is in our language. When I was younger, I admit I often enjoyed learning the spelling of new words but as time went on, it just became tedious and frustating to say the least as we have no clear and concise patterns on how to spell in English! It annoys me even more when words are spelt differently in other english-speaking countries - ie. colour in England, color in America! I think it's a disgrace and should be changed!

What do you think? I want to hear your opinions. It must be a very difficult part of the language for foreigners to master and yet they put us to shame when it come to learning languages, especially English!

conzag123
I think it's a disgrace and should be changed!

I agree! When will those Americans learn some sense and change back. I've never seen appals spelled like that before. :smile:
Reply 2
Good bloke
I agree! When will those Americans learn some sense and change back. I've never seen appals spelled like that before. :smile:

A new challenger has entered!
Good bloke

I have.

:sly:
Meh, I like the English language's spelling tbh, makes sense to me.
Reply 5
Dude, do Eng Lang a level if it pisses you off that much. English is a bastardised version of almost every language out there. Hell, look at 'night' - it's from German (essentially) our pronunciation has changed, but ther Germanic hasn't. We're just too lazy and set in our pedantic ways to change it. the Americans had a good idea of further standardising the language and making spelling more predictable and, well, sane.

There's no reason for a u to be in colour, do we pronounce it? No, it's a silent letter, it is superfulous. The silent u has no point and it's better off being erased. (though what's with the fascination with z in Armican English? hmm.)

However, if you want messed up regional veriation of language look at Portuguese. I had a friend who was from Brazil, she had a portuguese friend and their dialects were so different they had to speak in English to understand each other.
conzag123
I've grown up speaking and writing English since I was born yet it appauls me how ridiculous the spelling is in our language. When I was younger, I admit I often enjoyed learning the spelling of new words but as time went on, it just became tedious and frustating to say the least as we have no clear and concise patterns on how to spell in English! It annoys me even more when words are spelt differently in other english-speaking countries - ie. colour in England, color in America! I think it's a disgrace and should be changed!

What do you think? I want to hear your opinions. It must be a very difficult part of the language for foreigners to master and yet they put us to shame when it come to learning languages, especially English!

*appalls.
(:Becca(:
*appalls.

Unless you are American, appals. :biggrin:
Reply 8
jeffercake
I have.

:sly:

As have I :teehee:
Reply 9
Sqweesboo
Dude, do Eng Lang a level if it pisses you off that much. English is a bastardised version of almost every language out there. Hell, look at 'night' - it's from German (essentially) our pronunciation has changed, but ther Germanic hasn't. We're just too lazy and set in our pedantic ways to change it. the Americans had a good idea of further standardising the language and making spelling more predictable and, well, sane.

There's no reason for a u to be in colour, do we pronounce it? No, it's a silent letter, it is superfulous superfluous. The silent u has no point and it's better off being erased. (though what's with the fascination with z in Armican English? hmm.)

However, if you want messed up regional veriation of language look at Portuguese. I had a friend who was from Brazil, she had a portuguese friend and their dialects were so different they had to speak in English to understand each other.

Armican? Where's that?

:holmes:
Good bloke
Unless you are American, appals. :biggrin:

Americanised spelling has entered the education system D:
I've been spelling it as "appalls" for years and nobody's corrected me yet. :frown:
Reply 11
conzag123

Our language is a mixture of so many other languages that it's not surprising that our spelling is so erratic.

With studying in such depth, I hardly refer to the orthographic spelling in my degree. It's all about phonetics dahling :p:

Phonetics is a much easier way of understanding English, I think so anyway.
Kaykiie
Armican? Where's that?

:holmes:

Perhaps he was referring to people from the northwestern part of Gaul, Armoricans (the region now known as Brittany).
Reply 13
Good bloke
Perhaps he was referring to people from the northwestern part of Gaul, Armoricans (the region now known as Brittany).

I see :sly:
Reply 14
Many people have put forward ideas to reform spelling, but they have not succeeded in the UK. Language is a difficult thing to control.
conzag123

There is a reason it is American English and British English, there are differences, this doesn't only happen with English, it happens with Portuguese as well (Brazil and Portugal). I'm not too sure about the differences between Mexican Spanish and Spanish Spanish (or if there is any differences I'm not sure).

Anyway you get my point, All languages that are spoken in multiple places will develop differences. But if that didn't happen then we wouldn't have the English language would we?
Words are spelled different in the US than they are in Britain. It's not necessarily a bad thing. That's just the way it is.

English constantly evolves as well. Spellings change over time.

Latest

Trending

Trending