The Student Room Group
Reply 1
dollydaydream
Hi guys.

So I dyed my hair red. It's a nice auburny colour but I really would like a darker red. I have tried both Nice N Easy Light Auburn and Garnier Herbashine Mahogany...

This is my hair colour now:

and I reaaaly want this kinda colour:

SO which hair dyes did you use and were they any good?

also pics would be very much appreciated... i don't want to turn ginger or purple! hah there's a fine line here.

I use LIVE XXL LUMINANCE :smile:

I've got naturally dark hair so 'Luminance' lightens my hair so the colour is more noticable. It makes my hair feel gorgeous :p:

I do love the colour but red hair is seen to be the hardest to maintain. The colour fades fast so I'd also recommend getting a good shampoo specially for red hair :smile:

P.s. my hair didn't go orange, it went the colour I wanted it to go :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I was that colour for about a year before I got sick of having to touch it up all the time as it fades so quick :frown:
Don't use schwarzkopf! In my experience, my hair is very fine and it just doesn't take at all. A compete waste.
I have used L’oreal Récital Préférence Babylon Intense Red, which was a great colour! I've used some others too, I'll have a quick look and post again if I find them.
Reply 3
Assandun
I was that colour for about a year before I got sick of having to touch it up all the time as it fades so quick :frown:
Don't use schwarzkopf! In my experience, my hair is very fine and it just doesn't take at all. A compete waste.
I have used L’oreal Récital Préférence Babylon Intense Red, which was a great colour! I've used some others too, I'll have a quick look and post again if I find them.

You can't tell her to disregard a brand just because it didn't work for you :colonhash:

It works perfectly well with me and many of my friends.
Well this was meant to be pink - it was a pink cabbage based semi-permanent hair dye, but it turned out red. That doesn't help you much I suppose lol.

Reply 5
Swarzkopf Live XXL :biggrin:
ahh i get mine done professionally , so i have no idea what dye they use on my hair :colondollar:
but mines a bit darker than the last picture as my hair is naturally dark brown lol
Reply 7
Swarzkopf Live.

Although I warn you, once your hair is a deep red, it is very, very hard to remove. It 'stains' your hair. I was red for years and I no longer wanted it so I had to go a very dark brown (almost black, see my pic) to neutralise the red and yesterday I had that removed and now I'm a sandy blonde. It takes a bit of time and money.
Reply 8
The vibrant red in the 2nd pic looks amazing.

I had red hair for a bit, I've gone back to dark brown now because red is a massive headache to maintain, it fades really quickly.
I used Loreal's Casting Creme Gloss in Black Cherry... it was a bit darker red than you're looking for though.

I'd second Kaykiie's suggestion of the Schwarzkopf colour.
Schwarzkopf Live XXL colours are you're best friend :smile: I used Passion Red as you can see from my profile picture

It is an absolute beast to get out of your hair though. I'm trying to go blonde and I've had my hair stripped twice and can't completely shift the red. I'm currently a muddy gingery colour so be warned!
(edited 13 years ago)
I prefer to dye my hair a lighter shade than what you're after, but Schwarzkopf's LIVE XXL shade 43 looks round about what you're looking for. However, a shade as dark and rich as that is only going to stay looking like that for a week or a fortnight at the most, especially with your natural colour being far lighter.

Schwarzkopf LIVE XXL is the best I've found, and I've been dying my hair since I was 14. The best shampoo to fight off fading that I've come across is VO5's coloured hair shampoo and conditioner, and the worst is the (more expensive) L'Oreal coloured shampoo range!

Here's my hair in the first week of being dyed:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs111.snc3/15841_220233875568_617770568_4557485_396095_n.jpg

And in the last stages of a dye-cycle (a few days before re-dying it):
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs091.snc3/15841_247353280568_617770568_4736931_1999279_n.jpg
Reply 11
Laurah5498
Schwarzkopf Live XXL colours are you're best friend :smile: I used Passion Red as you can see from my profile picture

It is an absolute beast to get out of your hair though. I'm trying to go blonde and I've had my hair stripped twice and can't completely shift the red. I'm currently a muddy gingery colour so be warned!

Haa that's my exact hair colour (your colour in the pic).
I get mine done professionally and for 1/2 head foils it costs around £40 including cut and blowdry. It lasts for months though before fading. The last time i had it done was March and it's still noticeable! My natural hair colour is very dark brown/black and it shows the red up really well :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
I've used Stargazer semi-permanent fire-red dye on my mousey brown hair. It washed out after about two weeks, sadly. I'd like to dye it purple now, but my school would crucify me. I'd recommend it, but bleaching first might be necessary.
Reply 14
Schwarzkopf Live XXL red dyes are your friend (see the colour of my hair in my profile). However, when you tire of the red, it's a pain in the ass to remove; even black didn't completely cover it for longer than 3 weeks.

But yeah, I would definitely recommend the Live reds, they're really good.
Reply 15
I went from blonde to red (around the color you want) last May. I've been using semi permanent dye, and I've found that it does fade a lot but it is still a nice red when it fades. The first two times I did in a salon, lately I've been using Clairol Natural Instincts in Cinnaberry and Raspberry Creme. I think next time I might go back to a salon, though, because the colour is getting more and more uneven. I'm also trying to decide whether I should dye it permanently or not--at this point I love the color but I want to be blonde again at some point.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest