The Student Room Group

Help with decision on Uni after Fifth Year.

Hey. I'm in fifth year, and was planning to apply for a course this year, instead of staying on for sixth year. I got AA111114 in my standard grades/int 2's, and am predicted for AAABB at higher. Is it a good idea, and does anyone have any advice for applying this year?

Thanks. =)
(edited 13 years ago)
ROBYNNjoan
Hey. I'm in fifth year, and was planning to apply for a course this year, instead of staying on for sixth year. I got AA111114 in my standard grades/int 2's, and am predicted for AAABB at higher. Is it a good idea, and does anyone have any advice for applying this year?

Thanks. =)

Well, what do you want to do...career-wise/at uni?
Reply 2
I was planning to go into pharmacy/pharmacology, but also like the idea of biochemistry and immunology if I can't get into my first choice.

Also, do I just put my target higher grades into my application? =S
Reply 3
:O what did you get the 4 in?!
Reply 4
German. I'm really not good with modern languages. =(

I also sat intermediate 2 maths and standard grade english in 3rd year as part of an advanced system, and got an A and a 1 respectively. Then went on to sit Int2 english and SG maths in fourth year....=)
ROBYNNjoan
I was planning to go into pharmacy/pharmacology, but also like the idea of biochemistry and immunology if I can't get into my first choice.

Also, do I just put my target higher grades into my application? =S

I'm not sure what you do about predicted grades....ask your teachers! Some unis only want students to stay on to 6th year to gain maturity, etc. But, if you are really sure that you want to go at end of 5th year then do it! :smile:

I'm surprised that your teacher can predict your grades so early....you've only just started back a few weeks ago! :eek:
Reply 6
A few of the people in my year applied in fifth year and they all got into what they wanted to do just fine, but I'm afraid I know nothing about the process. Your teachers will though, - your pupil support person or careers advisor or whoever it is that deals with UCAS in your school.

I say go for it. I wasted last year completely, stayed in sixth year and got really unhappy and ended up leaving having done all the coursework (well, I might add) but without sitting a single exam. Not saying that would happen to you obviously, and sixth year is great for a lot of people, but if you know what you want to do then go for it, don't wait around just because it's expected.

Good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 7
ScottishShortiex

I'm surprised that your teacher can predict your grades so early....you've only just started back a few weeks ago! :eek:

We get ours this early too :smile: But of all my friends the only people who met their predictions were the ones who got five As so it shows you that you can't really tell. People's prelims were a much more accurate guide.
Reply 8
Lulope
We get ours this early too :smile: But of all my friends the only people who met their predictions were the ones who got five As so it shows you that you can't really tell. People's prelims were a much more accurate guide.

Yeaah, unfortunately, our prelims start untill February, but the application deadline is the 15th of January, which sucks =(

ScottishShortiex

Erm, we started 5th year six weeks before the summer holidays, so that we have enough time to sit the course and have a revision period, rather that lounge about after the exams are over....

Thanks Aurora =) Quite a few people in my year, and the year above are all against it, but if i can get the grades, I don't see a point in wasting a year.
Reply 9
ROBYNNjoan
Thanks Aurora =) Quite a few people in my year, and the year above are all against it, but if i can get the grades, I don't see a point in wasting a year.

Why are they against it, have they said? Just because it's not what they're used to I suppose. Honestly, I know I'm sounding like a pep talk, but if I've learned one thing this year it's that you shouldn't let people talk you out of something you really want to do.

You sound like you're ready for uni, you know what you want to do and you know you can do it, so go for it :smile:
I would do it, but you also have to consider the aspects of univeristy life - you will be the youngest one there and this can become a major problem if you want to go out places (pubs, clubs, etc). You will also have the problem of not being able to have an overdraft (which may or may not be a big deal for you), as well as the constant reminder that you are the "baby" so to speak.

While going to university a year early is great academically you also have to consider the social side of it.
Reply 11
Well, I will be 18 halfway through my first year, so it's only 6 months or so that I'll be younger, considering I'm the oldest in my year. plus, I can't be the only one that won't be eighteen right?

Aurora, pep-talks are always good. I think it's because most of them can't come to grasp with the fact that I have my future basically set out, whereas they have no idea what they want to do....Thanks =]
Reply 12
ROBYNNjoan
Aurora, pep-talks are always good. I think it's because most of them can't come to grasp with the fact that I have my future basically set out, whereas they have no idea what they want to do....Thanks =]

Ahh plain old jealousy. Yeah, you could be right :rolleyes:
I would wait. I went to university at 17 and I was too young. I didn't appreciate it as much as I could have. I would encourage anyone to take a gap year to gain some perspective.

I'm 23 now and going back to do a 2nd degree because now I know what I really want.

Obviously that's not going to be the case for everyone but i think 16 is very young to be making decisions on what and where to study.
Reply 14
ROBYNNjoan

Thanks. =)

I suppose one option would be to apply for university this year, and if you meet your conditional, then you can defer your entry for a year, and then there would be a somewhat reduced likelihood of immaturity or inexperience dampening the university experience.

Also, if you don't meet the requirements of your offer then you can always go back for sixth year. If you work hard this year, then you should stand a good chance of getting.

Good luck!
Hey, I was wandering if you actually went after fifth year or not? I can't decide whether I want to leave after fifth year to go to uni or not! I know I want to a joint degree in pharmacology and immunology which sounds similar to what you wanted to do so I thought I'd ask if you had any advice?

Quick Reply

Latest