The Student Room Group
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London

Birkbeck Chat and Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask but I'll give it a go.

Birkbeck is offering a lot of different courses, like access to HE and similar. I'm wondering what happens if they don't get enough applications for a specific course? Would it be cancelled? I'm interested in maths course which starts next autumn.

I've sent them a message a week ago but no reply...
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London
I'm applying for entry in uni (2016) and I'm considering Birkbeck.
However I'm concerned about the atmosphere and the social aspects. I'm tempted by their Journalism course though. It seems to be the most perfect one out of all the courses I've seen since I can choose my own modules from year 2 and onwards.

I'm going to be 18 when I go uni so fresh out of sixth form.
To add to that, I'm a baby-faced midget. If I walk amongst a sea of middle-aged people, people will be thinking I'm their child. Lol.

I need advice. Should I go for it and apply for this course or not?

And what societies are there? Roughly, how many of those students are 18/19 on their first year? (percentage wise)
Reply 362
I have also applied to apply to birkbeck... i sent my application off about a week ago and i have had no response from them, (no confirmation email or acknowledgement of my application). I have already received 3 offers within this week and have been acknowledged by the fourth uni, so i am a bit worried/ curious as to why i have had no response from birkbeck. any current students or graduates who can advise me on whether or not to expect a confirmation from them and access to their online portal??
Original post by Hai_Ann
I'm applying for entry in uni (2016) and I'm considering Birkbeck.
However I'm concerned about the atmosphere and the social aspects. I'm tempted by their Journalism course though. It seems to be the most perfect one out of all the courses I've seen since I can choose my own modules from year 2 and onwards.

I'm going to be 18 when I go uni so fresh out of sixth form.
To add to that, I'm a baby-faced midget. If I walk amongst a sea of middle-aged people, people will be thinking I'm their child. Lol.

I need advice. Should I go for it and apply for this course or not?

And what societies are there? Roughly, how many of those students are 18/19 on their first year? (percentage wise)

There's not a lot of 18/19 students. Most people I know are 20 or above, but I came out straight out of sixth form and am enjoying it. You will be called young quite a bit, but's it nice. I know a few people, my age. If it's right for you, I would say do it.
In regards of the delay, I remember going through the same thing. I didn't get much communication (or at all) until I was called for the interview. I believe you can send them an e-mail and ask about the application status.

About studying there and social environment. I'm a MA student so things are different for me but everyone I encountered during my orientation day and in the building have been nothing but very nice and sweet (I was impressed!).
Reply 365
Original post by knight_priestess
In regards of the delay, I remember going through the same thing. I didn't get much communication (or at all) until I was called for the interview. I believe you can send them an e-mail and ask about the application status.

About studying there and social environment. I'm a MA student so things are different for me but everyone I encountered during my orientation day and in the building have been nothing but very nice and sweet (I was impressed!).

Thank you for this info! Just out of curiosity do most people get interviews?? I am hoping to study classical studies there...
Original post by bluh2
Thank you for this info! Just out of curiosity do most people get interviews?? I am hoping to study classical studies there...

Yes, there are interviews but don't be nervous. They might ask the reasons why you want to do this major, and something in the lines of the time frame covered by what we know as the classical period. You might do a phone interview or face-to-face interviews.

I hope that helps.
Reply 367
Original post by knight_priestess
Yes, there are interviews but don't be nervous. They might ask the reasons why you want to do this major, and something in the lines of the time frame covered by what we know as the classical period. You might do a phone interview or face-to-face interviews.

I hope that helps.

Yes that was very helpful! thanks again!
Original post by bluh2
Yes that was very helpful! thanks again!

You are welcome =) Good luck in choosing an Uni!
Reply 369
hi guys,
I am planning to do my degree in Law(full time) in Birkbeck. However I am a little worried that I may not fit in because I heard the uni targeted mature applicants and me being away from home(I'm from Malaysia btw)..i'll probably get really home sick if I didn't enjoy my campus life that much and didn't have friends my age.
Does anyone here have any review on their law program?
I'm in my first year doing law. I thought the same as you but there's a good mix of students. Most seem to be quite mature but there's a lot of 18-23 aswell. There isn't a campus as such but a lot of international students stay in the halls v close to uni

Original post by HanisK
hi guys,
I am planning to do my degree in Law(full time) in Birkbeck. However I am a little worried that I may not fit in because I heard the uni targeted mature applicants and me being away from home(I'm from Malaysia btw)..i'll probably get really home sick if I didn't enjoy my campus life that much and didn't have friends my age.
Does anyone here have any review on their law program?
Reply 371
Original post by Nubian Rapunzel
I'm in my first year doing law. I thought the same as you but there's a good mix of students. Most seem to be quite mature but there's a lot of 18-23 aswell. There isn't a campus as such but a lot of international students stay in the halls v close to uni

Hi,
thank you for your clarification. I definitely feel more confident putting birkbeck as my top choice. :smile:
How was law degree treating you so far?haha.
I'm Hanis btw..:smile:
Hi🙋🏽

Honestly? I absolutely love it! There is a lot of reading so I'd recommend keeping up with the weekly readings and seminar questions so you don't fall behind. It's really easy to get distracted as there's always people going to the uni bar a lot but if you stay focused you'll be fine. Also, I find the law school a bit disorganised if I'm honest so don't expect your timetable till near your start date lol.

Original post by HanisK
Hi,
thank you for your clarification. I definitely feel more confident putting birkbeck as my top choice. :smile:
How was law degree treating you so far?haha.
I'm Hanis btw..:smile:
Reply 373
Hi🙋🏽

Honestly? I absolutely love it! There is a lot of reading so I'd recommend keeping up with the weekly readings and seminar questions so you don't fall behind. It's really easy to get distracted as there's always people going to the uni bar a lot but if you stay focused you'll be fine. Also, I find the law school a bit disorganised if I'm honest so don't expect your timetable till near your start date lol.

hi, :smile:
When your class started, does it live up to your expectation? how was it in general?Truthfully I am quite nervous and scared to take Law although i am always gratified towards the subject haha. A lot of people say it is a very stressful subject and hard to cope (prob coz it is a traditional subject ) haha.
Are u an international student? :smile:
Definitely! The learning starts straight away but you quickly get stuck right in. The first two weeks of induction are easy but then ish gets real the week after. I'm uk born and bred lol. I genuinely love the subject so it's a no brainier for me. If you're passionate about law then I'd definitely say go for it!

Original post by HanisK
hi, :smile:
When your class started, does it live up to your expectation? how was it in general?Truthfully I am quite nervous and scared to take Law although i am always gratified towards the subject haha. A lot of people say it is a very stressful subject and hard to cope (prob coz it is a traditional subject ) haha.
Are u an international student? :smile:
Reply 375
Definitely! The learning starts straight away but you quickly get stuck right in. The first two weeks of induction are easy but then ish gets real the week after. I'm uk born and bred lol. I genuinely love the subject so it's a no brainier for me. If you're passionate about law then I'd definitely say go for it!

great knowing that! :smile:
oh do u mind giving me your email via private message? would love to chat and know more about it.
plus i probably could get in touch with you once i am there?

thank u again. That is very nice of you :smile:
Reply 376
Hi guys, I'm considering transferring to Birkbeck for 2nd year, do you know if they accept transfer students?
Hi guys,

I'm planning to study Creative Writing and English at Birkbeck from October (2016). Is here anyone studying the same or something similar?
What can you say about life at Birkbeck? As a student from abroad, I really need a positive reply, because I'm dying struggling between my choices... Also, I'm a bit worried too because of the age differences. I'm quiet young (21 yrs old) and I would like to have that amazing uni experience like in moovies.
Thank you for the replies in advance!

Petra
Birkbeck isn't a campus uni so as much as I wanna be positive, I'm not sure you're gonna get that "uni life" you're after....
It really varies depending on course as to the age gap. My course has a real good mix of standard uni age and mature but some courses aren't.
If you're staying in the halls where a lot of international students stay then you might enjoy the experience more
Reply 379
Original post by p.petra44
Hi guys,

I'm planning to study Creative Writing and English at Birkbeck from October (2016). Is here anyone studying the same or something similar?
What can you say about life at Birkbeck? As a student from abroad, I really need a positive reply, because I'm dying struggling between my choices... Also, I'm a bit worried too because of the age differences. I'm quiet young (21 yrs old) and I would like to have that amazing uni experience like in moovies.
Thank you for the replies in advance!

Petra

the social life is pretty non existent (im young as well and im transferring to a diff uni) so if i was you i would pick somewhere else!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest