The Student Room Group
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London

Birkbeck Chat and Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lissyki
Hello, I have an interview at Birkbeck for drama and theatre studies on Monday. Has anyone else done this course?? I dont know what to expect in the interview as i have never had one before.....Also can anyone tell me if Birkeck offers you a place at the interview or do you have to wait?

thank you :smile:

i'm guessing you've done it now. how did it go?

i got my place at the interview... lol

did you get in?
(edited 12 years ago)
Birkbeck, University of London
Birkbeck College
London
Reply 81
Original post by jazzybob
i'm guessing you've done it now. how did it go?

i got my place at the interview... lol

did you get in?

Hello,

the interview went ok. I got a email the next day saying she thought the interview went really well and would like to offer me a place, however she wanted to see some written work. So i sent that off and that was on Tuesday, its now Sunday and i still havent heard anything! i really hope its a yes!!!!!
Reply 82
Hi everyone,
I'm in my late 20s and I'm going to apply for Chemical and Molecular Chemistry (part-time undergraduate). Very excited but it's hard to get any specific information about this course (list of books, additional costs etc). About 1 week ago I did send them (Birkbeck) an email and didn't get any reply so far.
Is anyone doing this same course this year or already done it?
Any tips, information or just say hello - very welcome :biggrin:
When I applied for my course last year they sent me an initial reading list (with books that would give a general introduction to the subject area), but only after I had been offered a place and accepted that place on the course. I applied in December 2010 and got my place in January 2011 and then we were invited to an induction day in June where they gave us a lot more details and information about the course, we got to meet former students who had done the course and had a Q&A with the lecturers. I don't know if it's the same for all Birkbeck courses, but this might give you an idea of how it could work for the course you're applying for.
Reply 84
Thanks a lot.
There are some issues I have to resolve before applying, so maybe I'll attend Open Day and find out more details.
Could you tell me how hard is there? How much self study you have to do? Are you a mature student?
I'm worry that I won't be able to manage full time job with studies.

All the best
There is a lot of self-study as it's at university level. Most students do work full-time and have 'a life' outside uni (e.g. a family, hobbies, other commitments) which does make it easier as people are very understanding of each other's situation and how it can affect your study. I've found the teaching to be set up to support this as well and the evening classes work out just fine IMO. You become very good at organising your life by doing it this way!

I've found all the students on my course to be very motivated and I think it's because most us (me included) are mature students who have been out in the workplace for a while and we know that we are doing the course for a particular reason. It can be hard going at times, but you just have to remind yourself of why you decided to do it in the first place and that is to maybe further your career, learn more about a subject you are really interested in or to just challenge yourself. I read somewhere that the average student age at Birkbeck is 35, but it ranges from school leavers to people in their 70s as well and there are quite a few international students on my course too. I see that as a great positive though as it means the discussions we have in class gives you many different perspectives and you can learn a lot from hearing other people talk about their own experience.
Reply 86
Thanks a lot.
You're right - the MOTIVATION is the key! I'm very motivated and I know there is bunch of people who work and study at the same time. Fingers crossed.
Nice to speak to you,
Cheers,
Reply 87
Right, i had my interview for Birkbeck last Monday (12th) they emailed me the next day saying ' We thought you did a really good interview and we would be keen on offering you a place, however we will just need to see some of your work so we know what type of offer to give you' I emailed them back straight away and last Wednesday (14th) they clarified they got my work and said they will be in touch soon. They still haven'g got back to me yet and its over a week now. Can anyone help me out? Is it a good thing? Are they likely to say no if they said they were keen to offer me a place?

Reply 88
Hi,
Unfortunately, I can't help but I'm curious what type of work did you give them? Some essays or coursework? Can I ask you what did you apply for?

Finger crossed they will reply soon.
Reply 89
Original post by maggie23
Hi,
Unfortunately, I can't help but I'm curious what type of work did you give them? Some essays or coursework? Can I ask you what did you apply for?

Finger crossed they will reply soon.

Im applying for drama and theatre studies, so i sent them drama coursework. Its just frustrating that they said they would either call or email in a week and its been past that.
Reply 90
To be honest, today is a full week (since 14th), so be optimistic! I'm sure tomorrow or on Friday you'll get a call :biggrin:
Reply 91
Original post by maggie23
To be honest, today is a full week (since 14th), so be optimistic! I'm sure tomorrow or on Friday you'll get a call :biggrin:

Yea i guess you are right ! .... thanks :smile: fingers crossed
Reply 92
Original post by Lissyki
Yea i guess you are right ! .... thanks :smile: fingers crossed

Hi,
Did they call/email you eventually? Shall I congratulate you yet?
I've received an email grom undergraduate administrator with reading list and other helpful information. I've been waiting about a month for reply and it was worth it.
Now, I can send my application (at last)!

Cheers,
maggie23
Reply 93
Original post by LouiseChapman
I'm 21 - starting English BA at Birkbeck in October :biggrin:

Hi there,

I'm 20, turning 21 in August. I am wondering if you did an interview for your place on the English BA at Birkbeck? If so could you please give me some advice on what I should prepare myself for as I'm quite nervous!!

Many Thanks!!
apparently you get 2 academics interviewing you informally. that's what i have heard.
Reply 95
Hi guys,

I am an EU student, 19 at the moment, who will be starting at BBK in October 2012. I applied for the History Dpt in September 2011, was contacted in January 012 and attended an interview in February; well, must say I was among the elders, (and the only foreigner too) all the other guys were between 17 and 21. I can't wait to start! Is there anybody else starting undergraduate BA History in October?

A few info about the interview: they asked me why History, why in London and why at BBK and then asked me about my cover letter... Well, you have to be yourself and show them your enthusiasm, I personally told them about a few history projects I have carried out and this really helped me out. Some of the guys who attended the interview with me didn't pass through, I feel sorry for them but at the same time this gives me the idea that BBK is a very important and selective University and its Department of History is among the best :smile: Does the name Eric Hobsbawm ring a bell? Well can't wait to meet you fellow birkbeckers :wink:
Original post by tabshiftspace
apparently you get 2 academics interviewing you informally. that's what i have heard.

In my interview (back in 2008, for molecular biology), I just met the head of the school in his office. We had a short chat about why I wanted to study the course, why Birkbeck, and just to confirm that I'd be ok with managing work and study at the same time, and that was it. About 15-20 minutes.
Original post by Revd. Mike
In my interview (back in 2008, for molecular biology), I just met the head of the school in his office. We had a short chat about why I wanted to study the course, why Birkbeck, and just to confirm that I'd be ok with managing work and study at the same time, and that was it. About 15-20 minutes.

I just had an email from the admissions administration telling me that they trying to organise a 2nd admission individual for my upcoming interview :biggrin:

I applied for the MRes in Structural Biology at Birkbeck which is run with UCL as part of the ISMB. What do I need to know and how do I prepare for the panel interview? :eek:

Any other tips etc. to help me along. I think my interview will be next week sometime. I'm waiting for them to confirm tomorrow.

Many Thanks
Most university entrance interviews are roughly the same in my experience. They usually ask why you want to do this specific course, why do you want to go to Birkbeck in particular (this is a good opportunity to talk about specific research interests within the department that matches your own personal interests) and what do you plan to do with the degree once you finish the course. In my interviews for MSc applications they also asked me some questions about my undergrad research project, what I was like with statistics and if I planned to work while studying (if yes, how would I manage my time to get uni work done).

Good luck, I hope you get accepted onto the course you want! :smile:
Original post by thewaythingsare
Most university entrance interviews are roughly the same in my experience. They usually ask why you want to do this specific course, why do you want to go to Birkbeck in particular (this is a good opportunity to talk about specific research interests within the department that matches your own personal interests) and what do you plan to do with the degree once you finish the course. In my interviews for MSc applications they also asked me some questions about my undergrad research project, what I was like with statistics and if I planned to work while studying (if yes, how would I manage my time to get uni work done).

Good luck, I hope you get accepted onto the course you want! :smile:

Thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind. I need to read up a bit. There's a couple of 1yr studentships available, so I want to impress, so can be considered for it.

May I ask what you doing now - study-wise?

Quick Reply

Latest