The Student Room Group

What was the last film you watched Mk. II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GunnerBill
Nice review, thanks.

Welcome. Though I've just re-read through it and found a plethora or spelling and grammar mistakes :facepalm: . As a huge fan of the franchise, I was really desperate to put down my thoughts as soon as I got home, so I'm glad you've benefited from them :h:

There are 3 books, my daughter just finished reading them, is the film based on all three or can we expect sequels?

The film is based on the first book, The Hunger Games. Catching Fire is set to be released in November 2013, and there are rumours that Mockingjay could be filmed in two separate parts as seems to be the craze these days. The current actors have signed up to the complete franchise and, to be honest, Lionsgate has made far too much money out of this, so it would make a bad business model not to film a sequel :lol:

Do you think an adult would get on OK reading them? I didn't do too well with Hthe Potter books but loved the movies...

It depends what genre you like to read. The books are a very easy read, with each book taking no longer than 8 hours cover-to-cover. If you like to take note of the style of writing, then you may be disappointed. The books lack attention to detail and specificity and multiple areas, so an active imagination or some careful thinking may be required to fill in the gaps. The book has been slated by critics as well for being unoriginal, all of whom claim that it is a mash up of material already out there (most notably Battle Royale). Would I recommend the book to my parents? No, probably not. It is blindingly obvious that the target audience is the teenage market and the general themes portray that, often in a way that only teenagers could possibly find enjoyable. However, if you are going to see the film, I would recommend reading them first. As I alluded to above, there are scenes in the film which simply weren't explained or portrayed very well, and having the knowledge from the book definitely enhances the experience.

I hope that makes sense! :redface:
Original post by Nirgilis
Welcome. Though I've just re-read through it and found a plethora or spelling and grammar mistakes :facepalm: . As a huge fan of the franchise, I was really desperate to put down my thoughts as soon as I got home, so I'm glad you've benefited from them :h:

I hope that makes sense! :redface:

Yes! I've always been keen on SF in general so I'll give them a go, why not eh?
Bringing up Bobby. 8/10. Such a sad ending. :cry2:
The Descendants - 6.5/10 :yawn:
I watched Napoleon Dynamite recently... a sweet High School film. Oddball is too kind a term for the main character... i enjoyed the downfall of Summer Wheatley the Miss Congeniality cheerleader.
Swordfish with John Travolta and Hugh Jackman amongst others. Great introductory scene, brilliant special effects for when it was released. 8/10.
anyone seen the devil inside ?
The Taking Of Pelham 123 (2009)- 5/10

Contagion- 7/10
Pan's Labyrinth
Reply 2189
Good Will Hunting - 9/10

Love this film! Matt Damon is amazing in it - I would die to have his maths skills, haha!
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US)....great film so far, but just got done with the horrible rape scene :shock:...yuck.

I'd like to see the Swedish version now though.
Unknown - (4.5/10)

I know that movies aren't meant to be realistic as such, but blimey, this was just ridiculous in every sense of the word. The outline of the plot was fine, I had no qualms there, but with the execution of the plot line, I bought none of it. Every scenario and its outcome would simply not happen! (either that, or there was string after string of massive and fortunate coincidences). Some substandard acting by Liam Neeson (or maybe his monotonous voice got on my nerves :tongue:) just capped off the movie. It's only saving grace - great stunt driving :yep:

I would not recommend this film unless you have exhausted all other options for your evening.
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - 8/10

I'd been passing the opportunity to see this film for years, and finally got round to it tonight. I have to say, it exceeded my estimations (I'd read reviews previously). Although I've only seen a handful of Downey Jr's performances, this was definitely one of the better ones; the odd personality he put on was at times really entertaining, yet very genuine.
Original post by philistine
Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang - 8/10

I'd been passing the opportunity to see this film for years, and finally got round to it tonight. I have to say, it exceeded my estimations (I'd read reviews previously). Although I've only seen a handful of Downey Jr's performances, this was definitely one of the better ones; the odd personality he put on was at times really entertaining, yet very genuine.

Thats where Torchwood got the name from.
Wings of Desire. Absolutely loved it. The worst part of it is, I can't adequately describe it. If you don't mind subtitles, then all I can say is please watch it, because it's beautiful :smile:
i watched the hunger games-wasn't as good as people claim only 7/10 because i thought many things were a bit daft eg.cheating,sponsors.One off comments like 10% die because of dehydration and 20% because of starvation.You can't die of starvation in 2 weeks and dehydration is unlikely because there was water and you could drink loads beforehand.
Original post by Dalek1099
i watched the hunger games-wasn't as good as people claim only 7/10 because i thought many things were a bit daft eg.cheating,sponsors.One off comments like 10% die because of dehydration and 20% because of starvation.You can't die of starvation in 2 weeks and dehydration is unlikely because there was water and you could drink loads beforehand.

In those conditions starvation is likely to lead to a lot of death indirectly and even then, you try not eating for 2 weeks while trying to evade 12 people trying to kill you and see if you have enough energy to do anything.

Read the books for explanations on why it's hard to get water.
Original post by Dalek1099

They were also commenting on previous games; some of which had taken place in climates where it was difficult to get food and water (e.g the deserts) where death by dehydration and starvation is entirely plausible within the time frames they specify. As was stated above - read the books for a better explanation. Some of the other aspects of the films weren't explained properly either. To get the full experience and complete understanding, you need to have seen and read The Hunger Games :yep:
The Divide - 5/10

Beginning is like any nuclear attack then hide in bunker cliche, the story line is boring but it gets better later on and exposes the sort of self-interest of people in that scenario. The acting's not the best either.
Fright Night (1985) 6/10

It was ok, I prefer the remake.

David Tennant as Peter Vincent (in the remake) GENIOUS xxx
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest