The Student Room Group

Birthdays

Hey all :wavey:

So today is my 24th birthday and i'm sat here wondering a few things....should i be happy or down about it?

I've always felt a bit down on my birthday and i'm not sure why. I think about all the things i've not done that i should maybe do and the fact i'm a year older and still not done them makes me feel a bit down in the dumps! But then one half of me is ok and kinda happy because this is the 'norm' for birthdays.

How do you guys feel on your birthday? A big yay or do you have some regrets?

I know this is probably a weird question cos 95% of people appear 'auto-happy' on their birthday, but what do people actually think when nobody is around to judge how you should act on your birthday?
(edited 13 years ago)
hi we have the same birthday. 9/17/89
The only best birthday i had was last year.
I feel a bit down during my birthday too, coz i always want to make it special even though i dont really celebrate.
i kinda have regrets, but i dont like to let it get into me, because i end up getting depressed on my day.

btw. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :smile: cheers!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
After you turn 18, it tends to just become another day on the calendar unless you go out of your way to make it something big.
Reply 3
You're getting old :hahaha:
On my birthday i was on the uni ski trip, which was a bit sad, first birthday away from family and i didnt really know anyone on the skii trip that well, but at least i got to ski on my birthday! which was ace.
Happy Birthday!

I usually feel happy but sometimes I think that perhaps I could have done more that year. Usually the cake cheers me up though :yep:
happy birthday!!
i'm 18 on monday :biggrin: sooo excited but the thing is after that... i don't wanna get any older! it seems perfect to be 18, no bills, no rent, at college, no debts, can go out and do what i like basically, with a job for a bit of money... all i need is a boyfriend lol. but i reckon as i get older i will enjoy my birthdays more. u know what, just pretend ur 18 again and RAVE.
Happy birthday!

I don't feel any different on mine, though all the people being extra-nice to me usually reduces me to tears for the whole day :o:
Reply 8
It's my birthday today too!! :biggrin:!
Reply 9
Happy Birthday to the OP and poster number 2 :biggrin:

Its my birthday next month, and not many people know. I prefer to keep it quiet, especially at my age. But I usually finish up not celebrating it, its just another day to me.
happy birthday you! aww I didn't know it was your birthday. I'm sory you feel down *hug*

If it's any consolation I just feel old these days on my birthday.
Reply 11
kristinaalovesu
hi we have the same birthday. 9/17/89

I do love Americans and their weird date formats :p: :wink: I can't help reading that as the 9th of the 17th and I'm like, erm, but there are only 12 months.

Happy birthday for yesterday!

Suis Je Bovvered ?
Hey all :wavey:

Hallo :wavey: :hat2:

Didn't mean to ignore you the other week when you said hi :o: Time just slipped by.

I missed your birthday :emo: Happy birthday for yesterday :birthday:

How do you guys feel on your birthday? A big yay or do you have some regrets?

Quite indifferent really. Once I got passed 18 they just seems like another day. I don't feel particularly happy or down.

Well, I had mixed feelings for my last birthday (25th). I felt about down about still being an undergraduate and it taking so long to compete my degree (and that, because of medical reasons I don't feel I made enough of my late teens and early 20s) but happy because it is an excuse to give yourself a bit of a treat :p: Also that, in recent months, it feels I've turned that corner.

Your mid-20s are great. You have that great balance of some wisdom and worldlyness but still youthfulness :yep:

I don't think what you're feeling is unique. I think everyone has regrets or wishes they could have done things differently/done more. You can't really help the past. Just concentrate on the future. At 24 you're still very, very young. You should have lots and lots of years ahead of you to do things you want to do. Be realistic but also slightly optimistic :smile:

x
Personally, I'm not usually too excited over my birthday but as long as I get to spend it with my friends or family, I'm happy.

Happy belated birthday OP! :h:
River85
I do love Americans and their weird date formats :p: :wink: I can't help reading that as the 9th of the 17th and I'm like, erm, but there are only 12 months.

Happy birthday for yesterday!

Hallo :wavey: :hat2:

Didn't mean to ignore you the other week when you said hi :o: Time just slipped by.

I missed your birthday :emo: Happy birthday for yesterday :birthday:

Quite indifferent really. Once I got passed 18 they just seems like another day. I don't feel particularly happy or down.

Well, I had mixed feelings for my last birthday (25th). I felt about down about still being an undergraduate and it taking so long to compete my degree (and that, because of medical reasons I don't feel I made enough of my late teens and early 20s) but happy because it is an excuse to give yourself a bit of a treat :p: Also that, in recent months, it feels I've turned that corner.

Your mid-20s are great. You have that great balance of some wisdom and worldlyness but still youthfulness :yep:

I don't think what you're feeling is unique. I think everyone has regrets or wishes they could have done things differently/done more. You can't really help the past. Just concentrate on the future. At 24 you're still very, very young. You should have lots and lots of years ahead of you to do things you want to do. Be realistic but also slightly optimistic :smile:

x

lol haha Hi :wavey:
Thank you for the greeting. :smile: