The Student Room Group

10 A Level Exams in January?

Hi TSR. I'm currently thinking about what to resit as I did not do well at AS, and am aiming for straight A's at A2. If I resat two AS units from 3 of my A level subjects and a unit from my dropped AS subject this would leave me with 10 exams in January. However I am not sure if this amount of exams is a wise choice... or even possible. :confused: I would like to hear your opinion! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

It is definitely not wise.
Reply 2
well, if you sit 10 exams in january, you might just end up really messing up the ones that you aren't resitting, which means that you might have to resit THOSE exams in june - which is something you don't want to do.

Why dont you re-sit later - that way, you have more time to revise, OR decide not to resit, and do REALLY well on your january and june modules to make up for it.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
how many subjects are you doing? That seems kind of excessive. I'm sure you won't receive an offer of six A grades.
Reply 4
Seven Seas
how many subjects are you doing? That seems kind of excessive. I'm sure you won't receive an offer of six A grades.

I'm only doing three A2's and I dropped an AS subject. Thing is I am thinking about retaking Unit 1 and 2 for Biology and Chemistry as well as C2 and D1 for Maths. However I have B's in Unit 1 for Biology and Chemistry and C2, so they are not essential. So if I didn't repeat those I would have 7 exams.
Reply 5
I had 7 in January and it was too much for me but it may be different for other people.
Reply 6
I think you should be able to find the exam board time tables online . I'd recommend seeing how they are spaced if you worry about the work load. For example you don't really want 2 or 3 revision heavy modules like chemistry or biology next to each other.
Try splitting it with the June Exams.
Do 3 retakes of your 3 weakest units, then do the other 4 in June, that way you might even have another chance to improve on you January retake as well.
Reply 8
Also does going over the AS material in detail help at all towards the A2 units?
Reply 9
I'd recommend going to Google and typing in "exam timetables", they tend to have dates for the exams this coming January.

My advice would be to see how evenly spread the exams are to each other and if you have more than 1 exam per day don't pick another one.
1platinum
I'm only doing three A2's and I dropped an AS subject. Thing is I am thinking about retaking Unit 1 and 2 for Biology and Chemistry as well as C2 and D1 for Maths. However I have B's in Unit 1 for Biology and Chemistry and C2, so they are not essential. So if I didn't repeat those I would have 7 exams.

I would defo leave C2 until June as it seems so easy after c3/c4 (if you are doing it at A2 that is) that it is easy to improve it with very little work. Look at your science sylabus' aswell and if there is overlap between the AS modules and the summer A2 units do some then aswell e.g. I did OCR chemistry A and the 2nd AS exam and the 2nd A2 exams overlapped so I retook unit 2 in the summer. If you split them it also gives you a chance to concentrate on your new modules in january and if you get high enough grades some of the retakes would be unnecessary. If there are a couple of units you did really badly and will definately retake do those in january, but it is better to secure decent grades in the new units which ultimately are harder, so you dont have to retake these in the summer.
Reply 11
1platinum
Hi TSR. I'm currently thinking about what to resit as I did not do well at AS, and am aiming for straight A's at A2. If I resat two AS units from 3 of my A level subjects and a unit from my dropped AS subject this would leave me with 10 exams in January. However I am not sure if this amount of exams is a wise choice... or even possible. :confused: I would like to hear your opinion! :smile:

I did 21 AS/A level exams during the summer period. 10 shouldn't be an issue.
It certainly is possible, and people have done more and succeeded. However, it is not a wise choice and probably best to avoid it to be honest. This June, I had 12 A2 exams and 2 STEP exams all on the same week, and it was the worst experience of my life...
1platinum

Should be easy if you spend time on a perfectly timed revision plan
It would be possible, but it might be better to split it, so maybe resit 3 or 4 of your worst modules/the ones you feel are most important to resit so you only have 6 or 7 modules in January, and then if you needed to you could resit more in June. That would still be fairly hard work but more manageable than 10 :smile:

Have a look at http://www.modernisationonline.org.uk to look at the dates and how spaced out they are.

Good luck!
Reply 15
I'm doing 6 in Jan and I thought that was a lot :P
7 in Summer, did really well considering it was me. BBbccc in those exams.
Reply 17
1platinum

I done 16 last June. If you're not sure you can handle it then you definitely shouldn't do it.

Doing Unit 4 (or first unit in the A2 syllabus) in January is very important so deciding to do all the A2 in June is unwise as the big jump from AS to A2 will catch you out so deciding to do AS's this January alone would be the biggest mistake.

Whatever you do, good luck :smile:
Reply 18
Chriz M
I think you should be able to find the exam board time tables online . I'd recommend seeing how they are spaced if you worry about the work load. For example you don't really want 2 or 3 revision heavy modules like chemistry or biology next to each other.

I thought there would be less revision involved with science subjects compared with humanities where there is a great deal of memorising case studies and examples......
Reply 19
W.H.T
I thought there would be less revision involved with science subjects compared with humanities where there is a great deal of memorising case studies and examples......

Well I don't do them so wouldn't know, and the original poster did maths and sciences. And in my experience Chemistry is far more revision heavy than Maths, which you just need to do past papers for, but no last minute cramming.

Latest