The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Stats and Bio are the best bits, tbh.
Reply 21
GodspeedGehenna
Stats and Bio are the best bits, tbh.

oh you're at royal holloway! i'm planning to apply there. is the stats stuff and bio ok to pick up bearing up mind i've only studied to gcse level
safwaansh
oh you're at royal holloway! i'm planning to apply there. is the stats stuff and bio ok to pick up bearing up mind i've only studied to gcse level

They start you from scratch. Seriously. Stats Lecture 1 is 'mean/median/mode'. Bio Lecture 1 is 'this is a phospholipid bilayer, it has hydrophobic tails and hydrophillic heads'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
GodspeedGehenna
They start you from scratch. Seriously. Stats Lecture 1 is 'mean/median/mode'. Bio Lecture 1 is 'this is a phospholipid bilayer, it has hydrophobic tails and hydrophillic heads'.

They won't even have heard of that if they haven't done A level bio.
Katie_louise
They won't even have heard of that if they haven't done A level bio.

Really? I can vaguely recall it from my GCSE along with all the basic organelles and what not.

That and throwing potatos at each other during an 'experiment'.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
GodspeedGehenna
Really? I can vaguely recall it from my GCSE along with all the basic organelles and what not.

lol yeah i remember hydrophillic and hydrophobic. we made mayonaise :biggrin:. emulsifiers. dunno what the other thing you mentioned is.

would you recommend the holloway course?
Reply 26
GodspeedGehenna

I think I only started learning about membranes/organelles/action potentials etc at As level
Reply 27
safwaansh
lol yeah i remember hydrophillic and hydrophobic. we made mayonaise :biggrin:. emulsifiers. dunno what the other thing you mentioned is.

would you recommend the holloway course?

Have you learnt about action potentials/nervous impulses and how they work?
Reply 28
GodspeedGehenna

We did that experiment in highschool! And we threw potatoes at one another!

Erm... sorry nothing to contribute other than that if you don't like stats or biology then I don't understand why you'd choose Psychology?
Reply 29
Katie_louise
Have you learnt about action potentials/nervous impulses and how they work?

know how nerve impulses work (synapses and neurotransmitters right?). action potentials? havent heard of that ever in my life :/
Reply 30
grape:)
We did that experiment in highschool! And we threw potatoes at one another!

Erm... sorry nothing to contribute other than that if you don't like stats or biology then I don't understand why you'd choose Psychology?

well we havent done any maths at a level apart from the odd calculations of mean, mode and medians.

don't mind biology but because i havent studied it to a level standard i'm concerned i'll be out of my depth at uni.
Reply 31
safwaansh
know how nerve impulses work (synapses and neurotransmitters right?). action potentials? havent heard of that ever in my life :/

Then you don't know the most of how nervous impulses work :no:

Why don't you look it up and see if you can get your head around it? Then you will get a bit of an idea of the kind of stuff you will have to understand.
Reply 32
safwaansh
well we havent done any maths at a level apart from the odd calculations of mean, mode and medians.

don't mind biology but because i havent studied it to a level standard i'm concerned i'll be out of my depth at uni.

I'm not in a Psychology degree (but will be next September, hopefully), so do take my advice with a pinch of salt... I've looked at the stats, and although I'm not amazing at math I know that I'm enthusiastic enough about Psychology to work on the stats until I get them. Just take a look at nerve impulses and whatever to make sure you understand them (I don't see why you wont). I'm a big fan of saying that if someone has the passion then they'll succeed, but obviously there can be exceptions! :p: If you love it, go for it! :woo:
Reply 33
safwaansh

You really don't need a Biology A level or a Statistics A level to do Psychology. That's pretty much the bottom line.
Reply 34
Katie_louise
Then you don't know the most of how nervous impulses work :no:

Why don't you look it up and see if you can get your head around it? Then you will get a bit of an idea of the kind of stuff you will have to understand.

i looked at it and got the jists of it. not fully but some stuff from gcse came back to me.
safwaansh

Wait.. what?
Katie_louise
I think I only started learning about membranes/organelles/action potentials etc at As level

Really? I'm quite shocked actually!
Reply 37
aliluvschoc
You really don't need a Biology A level or a Statistics A level to do Psychology. That's pretty much the bottom line.

They do help though. Your first experience of post-GCSE biology being action potentials and myelin sheaths isn't fun.
Reply 38
kultist
They do help though. Your first experience of post-GCSE biology being action potentials and myelin sheaths isn't fun.

I was fine to be honest. You just need to read up one it.

They help, I wish I'd done them for interest sake, but by no means will you find it too difficult if you haven't done them. Unless you're just bad at them, in which case a Psychology degree isn't for you.
Reply 39
aliluvschoc
I was fine to be honest. You just need to read up one it.

They help, I wish I'd done them for interest sake, but by no means will you find it too difficult if you haven't done them. Unless you're just bad at them, in which case a Psychology degree isn't for you.

I think I'll be ok but if worst come to it I'll get myself a private tutor for the biology stuff. Are there any modules that are t biology based?

Latest