The Student Room Group
What subject?
GCSEs play a part, but so do admissions test scores (where these are used), A-level predictions, interview performance... stop worrying about whether you are good enough or not and just apply. The worst that can happen is that you will be rejected.
Reply 3
Toby Wan Kenobi
I've heard that Oxford and Cambridge often use GCSE reults to allocate places if there are several candidates with identical A Level results. What kind of GCSE grades would be needed to get into Oxbridge universities?

I received 9 As and 2 Bs, would these be good enough because I personally don't think they would be.

Thanks.

The point is they dont get 'identical candidates' because they have references, personal statement, interviews etc all on top of A levels. From what I heard at a Cambridge open day, a minimum of 4A*s is their 'filter' for some colleges interviews and therefore offers, so that's whats deemed kind of neccessary....so no A*s it will be unlikely especially at some Cambridge colleges that you will get an offer
(edited 13 years ago)
To follow up what mfc20 says...

You do not get into Oxford or Cambridge because of your A-level results, GCSEs, or whatever. You get in because the tutors dealing with your application think you will do well in the course you've applied for (and most likely in their college, with their tuition).

For example: if you are applying for maths, the tutors are interested only in how good you would be at maths. Whether you have an A or a B or a C in GSCE history is neither here nor there; except that bright people will probably, mostly, do well in most things they put their minds to. So a strong applicant will likely have a pretty solid set of GCSEs.

Sure, Ox&Cam set a minimum level to be considered (AAA at Ox, A*AA (?) at Cam). But it's essentially a general quality check. The tutors making an offer expect you to make those grades, and probably with room to spare. If they make you an offer, it's on the basis of what they see as your potential in your subject. Your school record is part, but only part, of the information they use to make that decision.

:sheep:
Reply 5
mfc20
The point is they dont get 'identical candidates' because they have references, personal statement, interviews etc all on top of A levels. From what I heard at a Cambridge open day, a minimum of 4A*s is their 'filter' for some colleges interviews and therefore offers, so that's whats deemed kind of neccessary....so no A*s it will be unlikely especially at some Cambridge colleges that you will get an offer

Can you tell me anything about how they regard O levels? We don't have A* in O level grading system. I had 7 As and a B in my O levels. Does it seem to be sufficient?
Reply 6
Omio
Can you tell me anything about how they regard O levels? We don't have A* in O level grading system. I had 7 As and a B in my O levels. Does it seem to be sufficient?

FFS of course it's sufficient.

Latest

Trending

Trending