The Student Room Group

Working during A levels!?!

Hola everyone,

Basically, I just wanted some advice on whether or not it is advised to work during your A-Levels.
In year 12 at the moment studying German, History, Maths (+Mechanics) and Chemistry and I work 4 days a week at the moment - hoping to reduce my hours soon.

I'm really stressing at the moment because my social life has completely gone out the window and all I have time for is work and more work, I hardly have any breaks and my homework is piling up. I have no time to check over the work we did in class or do some general revision.

I really want 3 As as I want to get into Law at a top university.

My GCSEs were 8 A*s, 1 A and 2 Bs

ARGH ADVIC?!?!
Reply 1
Myself and almost all of my friends worked through our A levels. We also did little work, drank far too much and got good grades.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
It's only advisable if you can manage your time and keep on tope of your subjects. Otherwise, don't do it.
concubine
Myself and almost all of my friends worked through our A levels. We also did little work, drank far too much and got good grades.

Is your life the third series of skins?
Work no more than 8h a week, say, every saturday.
Reply 5
GottaLovePhysics! :)

What, crap?
Doesn't sound it.. :p:

I'm starting a Saturday job at Co-op tomorrow and I'm also in year 12. Plan to do lots of overtime, hopefully a couple of days after school and I don't think It'll be too much trouble.
Last year I managed to do minimal work and lots of partying and come out with straight A's and while I know this year will be far harder, it's nice knowing that if I concentrate more and take this year seriously then I should be sorted
Reply 6
From your gcse's, it seems that u are more than capable. However, do u think working is worth risking your grades? I personally would not advise it. Although, if you really need the money then I would carry on working. To be honest... As levels are not that difficult. Especially if you are bright. I repeat.... I personally would not advise it.
Reply 7
i worked all through my alevels 4 hours on a wed 7.5 on a sat and 6 hours on a sunday every week it was quite hard at times but manageable tbh and when i turned 18 even had time to go out when things get a little too much just cut down a little !
Reply 8
My college made us sign a contract to say we wouldn't work more than 10 hours a week.
Reply 9
GottaLovePhysics! :)

I thought Skins was all class A drugs and Russian whores? I wish. ;<
Reply 10
concubine

Haha, I agree, and it seems like you're the kind of person who could do that from your gcses?
Reply 11
only if you can handle it, with keeping all your homework up and revising ect ect.
i work at a holiday camp (joys of living in cornwall) and its seasonal. so the season starts like the week after my exams and finnishes by the end of my 1st week back at 6th form. so i can earn lots in summer, and then have all the time to revise... i should have saved thou...
4 days a week is too many. cut your hours man.
DaniLou17
i worked all through my alevels 4 hours on a wed 7.5 on a sat and 6 hours on a sunday every week it was quite hard at times but manageable tbh and when i turned 18 even had time to go out when things get a little too much just cut down a little !

I agree
Working is fine, 4 days isn't :p: I'd limit yourself to 1 or 2 days at most.
concubine
I thought Skins was all class A drugs and Russian whores? I wish. ;<

It is. And after a year of no work they all get A's :p:

Latest